The Student Room Group

Where should I go for my MSc?

Hi everyone,

I’ve just graduated with a first class for my BSc economics (~73%) from university ranked about 20th in the UK. I got firsts in all of my final year modules, and mid 80s in the core modules in 2nd year. I’m wondering how likely it is that after taking a year out to gain some relevant work experience - I’m currently interning in Shanghai - that I can get into the likes of UCL/LSE/Warwick etc for an MSc Economics starting in 2016?

The two things putting me off are that in 2nd year I only achieved a mid 2:2 in my Mathematical Economics module (put this down to complacency!) and that I was rejected by LSE and UCL for 2015 entry (but I think this was down to a rushed personal statement).

Please if anyone on here can give me some advice or help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Did LSE and UCL give you reasons for rejection? I would think relevant work experience would really help your application. Also bear in mind that a PS at postgrad level is looked at in more detail that it is at undergrad level.
Original post by alleycat393
Did LSE and UCL give you reasons for rejection? I would think relevant work experience would really help your application. Also bear in mind that a PS at postgrad level is looked at in more detail that it is at undergrad level.

Thanks for the reply! Sadly they didn't give a reason but I'm certain that is their policy for all applicants. Thank you, I'm working as a financial analyst intern up until autumn and currently looking at off-cycle internships and the like.

I agree with you about personal statements - at the time I wanted to get my applications in quickly - something I realise now was foolish.

Do you think my maths will count against me? Or since I have strong grades across all other modules they will overlook this?

Thank you!
Reply 3
Another aspect to consider would be your academic references. Mediocre performance during your undergrad degree might have been mentioned by your referees. Double-check that you picked the right people - for top-end unis like LSE and UCL, academic references will need to be unequivocal.

An underworked PS and lukewarm references could be a fatal combo. References alone could sink you, even with a reworked and improved PS.
Depends on how big of a component maths is of the masters course. Was there a reason why you didn't do so well in math that you referee could comment on maybe? You could show or talk about what you've done to improve your math knowledge and skills, in your PS, but make sure that you keep it positive and don't dwell too much on it so as to draw specific attention to it or make excuses.
Original post by Klix88
Another aspect to consider would be your academic references. Mediocre performance during your undergrad degree might have been mentioned by your referees. Double-check that you picked the right people - for top-end unis like LSE and UCL, academic references will need to be unequivocal.

An underworked PS and lukewarm references could be a fatal combo. References alone could sink you, even with a reworked and improved PS.

Thanks for the response! Both my referees would have said good things about me I'm pretty sure but perhaps not exactly what UCL/LSE were looking for! I wouldn't say my performance was mediocre - but it certainly will look better this time around than last year.

3rd year: 72% - firsts in every module.
2nd year: 73% - top of my year for some modules, couple of 2:1s and a 2:2 in Mathematical Economics.

On a side note, would a decent GMAT score drastically improve my chances? I know for sure I'm far better at quantitative things than my 2:2 in that module suggests.
Original post by alleycat393
Depends on how big of a component maths is of the masters course. Was there a reason why you didn't do so well in math that you referee could comment on maybe? You could show or talk about what you've done to improve your math knowledge and skills, in your PS, but make sure that you keep it positive and don't dwell too much on it so as to draw specific attention to it or make excuses.

Just plain complacency sadly. I could always take the GMAT to prove how capable I am? But that is a relatively long process and I believe my application could be ok without it?

A close friend of mine was accepted to UCL with marginally worse grades but a far better researched PS...!
Depends on how the GMAT is viewed by admissions tutors. Maybe contact the uni and see what they think.
Reply 8
Did you apply to the one year MSc or two-year MSc at the LSE?
You should have asked for feedback. My friend was rejected by Imperial, he asked and they told him why.
Original post by WokSz
Did you apply to the one year MSc or two-year MSc at the LSE?

The one year program
Reply 11
Original post by EconomistJack
The one year program

I would look at the two-year course. You will need to do the GRE, if I remember correctly but if you really want to do Economics, LSE is definitely one of the best places in the world to study it. I've also heard great things about UCL's course, but that was from my tutor and she was slightly biased.
Original post by WokSz
I would look at the two-year course. You will need to do the GRE, if I remember correctly but if you really want to do Economics, LSE is definitely one of the best places in the world to study it. I've also heard great things about UCL's course, but that was from my tutor and she was slightly biased.

Ok I'll take a look. I already have a BSc Economics though, surely that means I am ineligible as it's mainly for students without undergraduate experience of economics?
Reply 13
Original post by EconomistJack
Ok I'll take a look. I already have a BSc Economics though, surely that means I am ineligible as it's mainly for students without undergraduate experience of economics?

It's funny you mention that because someone back when I was an undergraduate actually did his BSc in Economics but was accepted to the the two-year course simply because his level of Maths was not on par with other people on the course. I'm not sure if this is a special case but that's what happened to him. Maybe you can inquire directly with the LSE but it's just what I assumed. Sorry, my knowledge of Economics is very limited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending