The Student Room Group

Need personal statement advice!

I'm currently in year 13 and am going to be applying to Cambridge to study Philosophy next year. I've just done a second draft of my personal statement and really need some advice on what I can do to improve it. I know it isn't very good but i just have no idea how to improve it. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by djhawley
I'm currently in year 13 and am going to be applying to Cambridge to study Philosophy next year. I've just done a second draft of my personal statement and really need some advice on what I can do to improve it. I know it isn't very good but i just have no idea how to improve it. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

This is quite a difficult question to answer because none of us have seen your personal statement and you definitely shouldn't send it to anybody you don't know because it could be stolen. Have you looked at TSR's Personal Statement builder and the Personal Statement library? There are also a lot of very good YouTube videos that guide you through the process of writing a great personal statement - this is my personal favourite.
Original post by djhawley

Think of the personal statement as a love letter to your subject - why do you want to study it? What have you found interesting so far? What are you interested in learning more about? Why can't you stop thinking about Philosophy? Aim to have at least 2/3rds (if not 85%) academically based about your wider (related) reading and your interests.
Reply 4
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Think of the personal statement as a love letter to your subject - why do you want to study it? What have you found interesting so far? What are you interested in learning more about? Why can't you stop thinking about Philosophy? Aim to have at least 2/3rds (if not 85%) academically based about your wider (related) reading and your interests.

This is seems like superb advice.
Reply 5
Cheers for all the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending