The Student Room Group

Medicine 2016 entry - low UKCAT score

Dear All, I did my UKCAT yesterday and was quite disappointed when i received a score of 690 (SJT band 1), as I felt that i should and was capable of getting much higher. My other stats so far have been good. I received 10 A* at GCSE and 4 high As at A level ( so getting predicted 4 A*), and prior to doing UKCAT i had my hopes on UCL Cardiff Birmingham and Nottingham (was thinking of oxford too in the place of UCL perhaps). I know that Nottingham look a fair bit at the UKCAT, which is a shame because i really liked it and i Know that Birmingham does too now :frown: I quite like Leeds aswell and I am aware that it uses the BMAT. Can anyone who has knowledge on this area i.e. if you recently applied for medicine or are in the process of going to for 2016 entry, could you give me advice on whether you think that my UKCAT score is so low for Nottingham that it would be better for me to apply to Leeds instead and risk having two BMAT universities if i apply with UCL (or oxford). Also how would my chances at getting an interview with Birmingham fare now that they use ukcat.

Thanks all x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
PS which unis aside from the BMATs and the ones i have already mentioned would make the most of my GCSE and A level profile rather than my ukcat score?

thanks x
Original post by flashvin
Dear All, I did my UKCAT yesterday and was quite disappointed when i received a score of 690 (SJT band 1), as I felt that i should and was capable of getting much higher. My other stats so far have been good. I received 10 A* at GCSE and 4 high As at A level ( so getting predicted 4 A*), and prior to doing UKCAT i had my hopes on UCL Cardiff Birmingham and Nottingham (was thinking of oxford too in the place of UCL perhaps). I know that Nottingham look a fair bit at the UKCAT, which is a shame because i really liked it and i Know that Birmingham does too now :frown: I quite like Leeds aswell and I am aware that it uses the BMAT. Can anyone who has knowledge on this area i.e. if you recently applied for medicine or are in the process of going to for 2016 entry, could you give me advice on whether you think that my UKCAT score is so low for Nottingham that it would be better for me to apply to Leeds instead and risk having two BMAT universities if i apply with UCL (or oxford). Also how would my chances at getting an interview with Birmingham fare now that they use ukcat.

Thanks all x

My daughter applied to Nottingham with a UKCAT of 680 and got an interview. You need to look at how many points you get from their point system as they give you points for each individual section. The system worked in her favour because she had three lowish to mid 600s and one low 800 and the points were awarded in bands for example someone scoring 601 would have the same points as someone scoring 699 for a section. In the end she got offers from UEA and Cardiff but is starting at Cardiff this month.(she was 2 marks off at interview at Nottingham) Good luck with your application.
PS which unis aside from the BMATs and the ones i have already mentioned would make the most of my GCSE and A level profile rather than my ukcat score?

thanks x

University of East Anglia - seem to like lots of A* at GCSEs and I don't think they look too much at the personal statement.
Sheffield - just have a UKCAT threshold and you would do well on their academic scoring. You would need a very good personal statement though to get an interview.
Make sure though that you check yourself on the individual websites because things can change from one year to the next.
Reply 4

Thanks all x

Birmingham, Cardiff, QUB would like your GCSE results. Birmingham is using 70% academics (which I am guessing you will have full, or nearly full, marks in) and 30% UKCAT which will be based in centiles (your score would have been in the 8th centile last year and in 2012-in 2013, scores were all inflated)
Leicester, Manchester, Aberdeen, HYMS, Dundee, Nottingham and UEA would like your combination of academics and what is actually a pretty good UKCAT, but, as pointed out previously, you would need to work out your score for Leicester (cut off 59.5 last year) and Nottingham (cut off was weird as SJT was messed up, but you should be able to get an idea from last years thread-bear in mind Nottingham also scores PS, which can be a bit of a lottery). Aberdeen use predicted A2 + UKCAT and then carry this score forward to be used as 50% of the post interview score to decide who will be offered a place, so with your predicted A2s, you would score very highly there. Manchester rank on UKCAT (check threads here for last year's cut off), then score PS.
I suspect you would meet Plymouths UKCAT cut off (check the "how the Unis use the UKCAT" document for past years cut offs, bearing in mind 2 years ago was artificially high.
Your UKCAT will not be enough for the UKCAT big boys, I suspect, ie Newcastle/Durham, Kings, Southampton or Exeter, although Exeter apparently allow a lower UKCAT score for people with lots of A*s predicted at A2, so might be worth a punt if you really liked it.
I would pick 1 BMAT Uni if you want to as you will not have the result until after you put your application in, and good GCSEs and A levels does not necessarily equate to a good result in aptitude tests.
Then, if you want to be safe, you would score very highly and be very likely to get an interview at QUB, Leicester, HYMS, Aberdeen, Birmingham, Dundee and, if you want to add the uncertainty of PS ranking in, then Cardiff, Nottingham, Manchester, UEA, Glasgow. I suspect your UKCAT will be in the top 20% or higher (remember, it is a normal distribution curve!) and with such good academics, I doubt anywhere is out of reach for you, except the UKCAT big boys, though if it were me, I would not want to be relying on the subjectivity of PS assessment given such good stats. Good luck

Edit: Just checked Plymouth cut offs, and don't know your individual scores but looks like you would have made the cut off for 2012 and 2013, and check the thread here for last year
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Birmingham, Cardiff, QUB would like your GCSE results. Birmingham is using 70% academics (which I am guessing you will have full, or nearly full, marks in) and 30% UKCAT which will be based in centiles (your score would have been in the 8th centile last year and in 2012-in 2013, scores were all inflated)
Leicester, Manchester, Aberdeen, HYMS, Dundee, Nottingham and UEA would like your combination of academics and what is actually a pretty good UKCAT, but, as pointed out previously, you would need to work out your score for Leicester (cut off 59.5 last year) and Nottingham (cut off was weird as SJT was messed up, but you should be able to get an idea from last years thread-bear in mind Nottingham also scores PS, which can be a bit of a lottery). Aberdeen use predicted A2 + UKCAT and then carry this score forward to be used as 50% of the post interview score to decide who will be offered a place, so with your predicted A2s, you would score very highly there. Manchester rank on UKCAT (check threads here for last year's cut off), then score PS.
I suspect you would meet Plymouths UKCAT cut off (check the "how the Unis use the UKCAT" document for past years cut offs, bearing in mind 2 years ago was artificially high.
Your UKCAT will not be enough for the UKCAT big boys, I suspect, ie Newcastle/Durham, Kings, Southampton or Exeter, although Exeter apparently allow a lower UKCAT score for people with lots of A*s predicted at A2, so might be worth a punt if you really liked it.
I would pick 1 BMAT Uni if you want to as you will not have the result until after you put your application in, and good GCSEs and A levels does not necessarily equate to a good result in aptitude tests.
Then, if you want to be safe, you would score very highly and be very likely to get an interview at QUB, Leicester, HYMS, Aberdeen, Birmingham, Dundee and, if you want to add the uncertainty of PS ranking in, then Cardiff, Nottingham, Manchester, UEA, Glasgow. I suspect your UKCAT will be in the top 20% or higher (remember, it is a normal distribution curve!) and with such good academics, I doubt anywhere is out of reach for you, except the UKCAT big boys, though if it were me, I would not want to be relying on the subjectivity of PS assessment given such good stats. Good luck

Edit: Just checked Plymouth cut offs, and don't know your individual scores but looks like you would have made the cut off for 2012 and 2013, and check the thread here for last year

Hi, I got a UKCAT score of 730/ 2920, would this be good enough to apply to UKCAT heavy unis?
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD

Thanks so much for this information :smile:

I have my heart set on Cardiff, Birmingham and UCL, just a difficult fourth choice! Im not really into PBL biased courses hence my choice of Unis, its just the 4th choice that is so difficult for me!! Leicester i know is a nice uni, but im just paraniod that I dont have the UKCAT score to make it! Ill check the pointing system anyhow :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by butterfly123456
Hi, I got a UKCAT score of 730/ 2920, would this be good enough to apply to UKCAT heavy unis?

Almost certainly, barring another year like 2 years ago when the UKCAT deciles were a little crazy (and I don't see Pearson Vue letting that happen again!).
Original post by GANFYD

I heard you are giving really helpful advices on uni choices for medicine. Would you mind to do the same for me? it will be great if you do ! :smile: I am a re-applicant so it really worries me if I don't get in this year.

my stats:
VR:430
DR:800
AR:900
DA:720
SJ Band 3
Overall: 2850

GCSE: 10A* 3A
AS: A Biology A Chemistry A Maths A Further maths A Chinese B Physics
A2: A Biology A Chemistry A Maths A Chinese
A* in EPQ

I have done a lot of work experiences, some abroad experiences related to medicine, do play sports and musical instruments.It will be so much appreciated if you can help me! like top 5 unis i should apply to and why.
Reply 9
You have very good GCSE and UKCAT overall score and decent A level results. With these stats , I am sure you can get quite a few interviews if you choose them realistically. Your VR is not good and your A level results are not impressive as your GCSE. Leicester is a good choice if you are good at MMI. Sorry for not giving more advice. Good luck!

Original post by tutorscience
I heard you are giving really helpful advices on uni choices for medicine. Would you mind to do the same for me? it will be great if you do ! :smile: I am a re-applicant so it really worries me if I don't get in this year.

my stats:
SJ Band 3

A* in EPQ

I have done a lot of work experiences, some abroad experiences related to medicine, do play sports and musical instruments.It will be so much appreciated if you can help me! like top 5 unis i should apply to and why.
Reply 10
Thanks so much for this information :smile:

I have my heart set on Cardiff, Birmingham and UCL, just a difficult fourth choice! Im not really into PBL biased courses hence my choice of Unis, its just the 4th choice that is so difficult for me!! Leicester i know is a nice uni, but im just paraniod that I dont have the UKCAT score to make it! Ill check the pointing system anyhow :smile:

I make it that you score 61.5 on Leicester's scoring system-I am fairly confident this would be enough to get you an interview, barring big swings in UKCAT score! Stop panicking about your UKCAT-it is absolutely fine (see proviso above!) :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by tutorscience

my stats:
SJ Band 3

A* in EPQ

All the same points apply to you, except your A levels have no A*s, so I would probably avoid Aberdeen, Exeter and possibly Plymouth (I also think your VR score may not meet their individual cut offs). What opinions have you had about your PS? Where did you apply last year? Does this rule anywhere out, as some Unis do not allow rejected re-applicants?
Avoiding any PS lottery, I would look at Leicester (you score 62.5), HYMS, QUB (I think you would get full marks), SGUL and Dundee (Birmingham usually ask for A*AA, I believe). Or if you are confident in your PS (and reference for Glasgow) , you can add Manchester and Glasgow to the mix. Nottingham score SJT, so your band 3 may let you down, but you can work out your score and compare to previous threads to see if it is competitive. Good luck
My stats:
VR: 560, QR: 790, AR: 570, DA: 610, SJT: Band 1, Average: 632.5
GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B - The B was english language. This was at an underachieving school with only 45% of pupils getting 5+ A*-C including English and Maths
AS: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, History A
Predictions: Biology A*, Chemistry A, Maths A
I've done lots of work experience/volunteering. Three week-long placements in hospitals, a week in a GP and volunteering when I could in a nursing home since this time last year. However, I only have one extra curricular, which is gospel choir, but I do a lot in it (competitions and stuff).I was thinking of applying to Oxford, UCL and Nottingham? Haven't decided on my fourth yet.. Anyone have any recommendations for a fourth or some better choices?Thanks!
Reply 13
My stats: UCKAT average 670, GCSEs 14 A*s, AS levels 4As.

Definitely applying to Cardiff and Birmingham, probably Oxford also.

I really love King's but worried that my UKCAT score is too low? Anyone know whether my GCSEs will compensate for this? (Also any alternative suggestions would be much appreciated).

Thanks!
[QUOTE=GANFYD;59266175]All the same points apply to you, except your A levels have no A*s, so I would probably avoid Aberdeen, Exeter and possibly Plymouth (I also think your VR score may not meet their individual cut offs). What opinions have you had about your PS? Where did you apply last year? Does this rule anywhere out, as some Unis do not allow rejected re-applicants?
Avoiding any PS lottery, I would look at Leicester (you score 62.5), HYMS, QUB (I think you would get full marks), SGUL and Dundee (Birmingham usually ask for A*AA, I believe). Or if you are confident in your PS (and reference for Glasgow) , you can add Manchester and Glasgow to the mix. Nottingham score SJT, so your band 3 may let you down, but you can work out your score and compare to previous threads to see if it is competitive. Good luck

HIII! I would like to ask regarding my university choices as well as you seem like a really good helper in terms of this. I hope you would not find this bothering and abrupt.

My stats are as below
GCSE equivalent grades 8A* 2A
AS AAAA
Predicted grades AAAA

I did not have a high UKCAT score which is 655 in average, 2620 in total
VR 610
QR 670
AR 650
DA 690

Have less working experience but lots of extra curricular activities
My initial choices are Cardiff Aberdeen Glasgow Sheffield and Liverpool
Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!! Really need your help urgently
Reply 15
Original post by dulce_ecstasy
My stats:
VR: 560, QR: 790, AR: 570, DA: 610, SJT: Band 1, Average: 632.5
GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B - The B was english language. This was at an underachieving school with only 45% of pupils getting 5+ A*-C including English and Maths
AS: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, History A
Predictions: Biology A*, Chemistry A, Maths A
I've done lots of work experience/volunteering. Three week-long placements in hospitals, a week in a GP and volunteering when I could in a nursing home since this time last year. However, I only have one extra curricular, which is gospel choir, but I do a lot in it (competitions and stuff).I was thinking of applying to Oxford, UCL and Nottingham? Haven't decided on my fourth yet.. Anyone have any recommendations for a fourth or some better choices?Thanks!

Have you contacted Uni's you are interested in to ask how they will treat your GCSEs? Because as baseline stats, your GCSEs are not likely to be good enough for Oxford or Nottingham (in combination with your UKCAT), but if they can tell you what allowances they may make for your schools performance level, it will be easier to give advice.
Reply 16
Original post by Karmen_713
HIII! I would like to ask regarding my university choices as well as you seem like a really good helper in terms of this. I hope you would not find this bothering and abrupt.

My stats are as below
GCSE equivalent grades 8A* 2A
AS AAAA
Predicted grades AAAA

I did not have a high UKCAT score which is 655 in average, 2620 in total
VR 610
QR 670
AR 650
DA 690

Have less working experience but lots of extra curricular activities
My initial choices are Cardiff Aberdeen Glasgow Sheffield and Liverpool
Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!! Really need your help urgently

When people are polite and respectful, I have no problem helping where I can, but do remember, I have no special insider knowledge about most Unis and only have access to the same info anybody else does: I got my info by reading websites, TSR and Googling, so it is all out there! Also my research was mainly done last year, and I have not checked GSCE fine print etc, so always check yourself that it fits you.
Your strength is your GCSEs and your UKCAT would have been top end of the 7th decile last year, so is not amazing, but is not a major weakness.
Your options are Cardiff (score GCSEs then use PS, so important to write a killer PS), Keele (offer 100/500 interviews based on academics-yours are pretty good as they use GCSEa and ASs, but I would call them and ask how many GCSEs they count as if there is no upper limit, then it may make you less competitive, but if it is top 9, you may stand a chance; and the other 400/500 on their equivalent of a PS), Liverpool (score GCSE, but score As the same as A*s which may waste some of your A*s and they will not say how they are going to use the UKCAT. Rumour is it will be a straightforward ranking, but not sure why they won't just come out and say it-the link on the website is dead!). And then there is Birmingham.....you will probably make their interview cut off this year, but that could change depending on the UKCAT averages. You can get more info here:
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements
Do read it carefully.
It may also be worth looking at QUB and seeing what their cut offs have been over recent years on old threads.
Aberdeen score predicted A2s and UKCAT and with no A*s predicted, you may not be competitive here
Glasgow used to rank purely on UKCAT but over the last 2 years say they are scoring all 4 elements (PS, reference, academics and UKCAT) equally, so that is certainly a possibility
Sheffield have a UKCAT cut off ( about 627.5, I think) and then use PS.
I think your stats are probably good enough not to have to rely so heavily on PS assessment which is very subjective and therefore always a bit risky.
I make your score at Leicester around 60 (check as I do not have your subjects at GCSE) and the cut off last year was 59.5, so this may be an option.
SGUL, UEA, Dundee and HYMS may well suit you and do not take PS into consideration.
Depending on your SJT score, your Nottingham score is around 47, with last year's cut off being 44 without the SJT as this was declared void. They then assess PS.

If it were me, I would be looking at Leicester, HYMS, UEA, Birmingham and then assessing QUB (or SGUL-but I hate London!), Nottingham and Dundee, but that depends on your GCSE subjects.
If you miss an A* in the key ones then it will lean more towards the PS Unis as above.
Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
When people are polite and respectful, I have no problem helping where I can, but do remember, I have no special insider knowledge about most Unis and only have access to the same info anybody else does: I got my info by reading websites, TSR and Googling, so it is all out there! Also my research was mainly done last year, and I have not checked GSCE fine print etc, so always check yourself that it fits you.
Your strength is your GCSEs and your UKCAT would have been top end of the 7th decile last year, so is not amazing, but is not a major weakness.
Your options are Cardiff (score GCSEs then use PS, so important to write a killer PS), Keele (offer 100/500 interviews based on academics-yours are pretty good as they use GCSEa and ASs, but I would call them and ask how many GCSEs they count as if there is no upper limit, then it may make you less competitive, but if it is top 9, you may stand a chance; and the other 400/500 on their equivalent of a PS), Liverpool (score GCSE, but score As the same as A*s which may waste some of your A*s and they will not say how they are going to use the UKCAT. Rumour is it will be a straightforward ranking, but not sure why they won't just come out and say it-the link on the website is dead!). And then there is Birmingham.....you will probably make their interview cut off this year, but that could change depending on the UKCAT averages. You can get more info here:
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements
Do read it carefully.
It may also be worth looking at QUB and seeing what their cut offs have been over recent years on old threads.
Aberdeen score predicted A2s and UKCAT and with no A*s predicted, you may not be competitive here
Glasgow used to rank purely on UKCAT but over the last 2 years say they are scoring all 4 elements (PS, reference, academics and UKCAT) equally, so that is certainly a possibility
Sheffield have a UKCAT cut off ( about 627.5, I think) and then use PS.
I think your stats are probably good enough not to have to rely so heavily on PS assessment which is very subjective and therefore always a bit risky.
I make your score at Leicester around 60 (check as I do not have your subjects at GCSE) and the cut off last year was 59.5, so this may be an option.
SGUL, UEA, Dundee and HYMS may well suit you and do not take PS into consideration.
Depending on your SJT score, your Nottingham score is around 47, with last year's cut off being 44 without the SJT as this was declared void. They then assess PS.

If it were me, I would be looking at Leicester, HYMS, UEA, Birmingham and then assessing QUB (or SGUL-but I hate London!), Nottingham and Dundee, but that depends on your GCSE subjects.
If you miss an A* in the key ones then it will lean more towards the PS Unis as above.
Good luck!

I really hope I'm not disturbing you, but I really need some advice, and you seem to be giving really good advice to others, if possible, could you advice me as well?

My UKCAT score average is 660
VR - 600
QR - 750
AR - 620
DA - 670
SJT - Band 1

I got 6A*s and 2As in my IGCSE
A*s in 3 Sciences, Maths, ICT, Accounting
As in Economics and English

I have 90% UMS in 3 of my AS levels - Biology, Maths and Physics
87% UMS in Chemistry
So my predicted is all A*s

For voluntary work I've worked with children from orphanages and special needs centers - which involved taking them to watermarks and amusement parks.
I have also taken part in ironing clothes for a special needs school
I have also sewed toys for special needs children - by hand
I have also taken part in sessions involving painting a special needs school.

For medical experience I have shadowed a general surgeon, an OB/GYN surgeon and a cardiologist.

I am very disappointed in my UKCAT score and I dont know what to do, I am an international student. Please advice, i really need it.

PS Birmingham requires the BMAT from this year which i have not taken

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate if you can guide me.
Reply 18
Original post by uptownfunk
I really hope I'm not disturbing you, but I really need some advice, and you seem to be giving really good advice to others, if possible, could you advice me as well?

My UKCAT score average is 660
VR - 600
QR - 750
AR - 620
DA - 670
SJT - Band 1

I got 6A*s and 2As in my IGCSE
A*s in 3 Sciences, Maths, ICT, Accounting
As in Economics and English

I have 90% UMS in 3 of my AS levels - Biology, Maths and Physics
87% UMS in Chemistry
So my predicted is all A*s

For voluntary work I've worked with children from orphanages and special needs centers - which involved taking them to watermarks and amusement parks.
I have also taken part in ironing clothes for a special needs school
I have also sewed toys for special needs children - by hand
I have also taken part in sessions involving painting a special needs school.

For medical experience I have shadowed a general surgeon, an OB/GYN surgeon and a cardiologist.

I am very disappointed in my UKCAT score and I dont know what to do, I am an international student. Please advice, i really need it.

PS Birmingham requires the BMAT from this year which i have not taken

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate if you can guide me.

Whilst you have excellent stats, unfortunately, for medicine, they are going to sit in the mid range and have no clear strengths, which will be especially difficult as an International applicant.
I think you would probably just miss cut offs at Leicester and Nottingham. Check out HYMS, UEA and SGUL to see if your stats are competitive compared to those who got offered interviews in previous years (look on old threads on here). Barts look at UKCAT and UCAS tariff 50:50 so that is possibly something to consider if you are keeping all 4 A2s on, see here for more info:
http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/admissions-2015-cycle.pdf
Birmingham are using UKCAT from this year along with GCSEs, but I don't think you have enough A*s at GCSE for them (have you done Eng lit?), though it would be close-you can check it out here:
I think you would probably do well looking at Aberdeen, who score predicted A2s and UKCAT, so your high predictions should help. Dundee use academics and UKCAT
You could also look at Glasgow who score PS, reference, UKCAT and academics equally.
Manchester rank UKCAT then score PS-check to see if your score would have been competitive last year.
Sheffield have a UKCAT threshold of 627.5 then score PS
Keele give 100/500 interviews based on academics and the rest on their version of the PS. Liverpool are using GCSEs and UKCAT, but will not say in what proportion, or exactly how, which makes it hard to assess your suitability.
You would have met Plymouth's UKCAT cut off for the last few years as well, though I feel UKCAT cut offs are going to be harder to call this year, but it may well be OK as a slightly riskier choice, as they do like A*s at A2.
And there is always BMAT Unis
So if it were me, and you think you can write a killer PS, I would probably look at Aberdeen, Plymouth and then check out Sheffield, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, SGUL, UEA and HYMS to see where I stood the best chance. I'm afraid I cannot say whether any of this does not apply as you are International and I have not checked GCSE small print etc. Good luck

Thanks all x

That is not a low UKCAT score. That's an above average UKCAT score.

Latest

Trending

Trending