The Student Room Group

Almost all British people have British ancestry dating from Neolithic times.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JackHorner222
I obviously descend from an unbroken chain of mothers but how many times would this line meet another unbroken chain of mothers going back from another person?

Over the course of thousands of years, if the two people are from the same continent it's practically certain.
The history teacher in the village of Cheddar was found to have the same mitochondrial DNA as Cheddar Man. How likely is it that he does not descend from Cheddar Man's family?

I obviously descend from an unbroken chain of mothers but how many times would this line meet another unbroken chain of mothers going back from another person?

That doesn't make sense, everyone comes from a chain of mothers.
Original post by Dez
Over the course of thousands of years, if the two people are from the same continent it's practically certain.

Why? If a woman has a daughter, and this daughter has a daughter, how long does this normally continue before only sons are born? I suspect that most chains of this type are not that long, certainly not 30 000 years long.
Why? If a woman has a daughter, and this daughter has a daughter, how long does this normally continue before only sons are born? I suspect that most chains of this type are not that long, certainly not 30 000 years long.

You have forgotten to factor in that in the past people had multiple children.
Reply 24

That makes no sense. Every daughter has a mother.
Original post by Dez
That makes no sense. Every daughter has a mother.

But not every mother has a daughter.

Yes because clearly women were unable to have more than one daughter. This is dumb, even by your standards.
[QUOTE="JackHorner222;59371107"]
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm struggling to find the connection between this and the title? How does finding two people with a certain genetic lineage suggest that almost everyone in Britain has neolithic British ancestry?[/QUOTE

The two people were in the same area that the skeleton was found. You obviously don't want to see the far-reaching implications of this.

what far reaching implications? Cheddar man will have millions of ancestors and will be only one of thousands of ancestors of the two people who had some shared DNA- the fact they happened to be in the area means nothing in itself. Given the number of ancestors it would be statistically highly likely that some of them would be in the area- you don't of course know if thier line of ancestors never moved or have been round the world and then come back- what exactly do you think it proves ?
Original post by DiddyDec
You have forgotten to factor in that in the past people had multiple children.

True, they did until recent times. But aristocratic lines die out when the father to son line is broken by daughters only. Same would happen with mother to daughter lines, only they are longer.
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm struggling to find the connection between this and the title? How does finding two people with a certain genetic lineage suggest that almost everyone in Britain has neolithic British ancestry?

This completely

Irrelevant - some have multiple daughters and given 9000 years there'll be enough cross links between families to form an unbroken chain, even if some lines down have dead ends. By your argument, mitochondrial eve couldn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fango_Jett
Yes because clearly women were unable to have more than one daughter. This is dumb, even by your standards.

Most unbroken mother to daughter lines are eventually going to die out. My question is, what percentage of them last thousands of years?
Reply 32

I think you've missed the original point here. If you take two living people, both have a chain of ancestors going back as far as you care to look - there would be no point where this chain would be broken.
[QUOTE="watchingyouwatch;59371449"]

what far reaching implications? Cheddar man will have millions of ancestors and will be only one of thousands of ancestors of the two people who had some shared DNA- the fact they happened to be in the area means nothing in itself. Given the number of ancestors it would be statistically highly likely that some of them would be in the area- you don't of course know if thier line of ancestors never moved or have been round the world and then come back- what exactly do you think it proves ?

It strongly suggests that Cheddar man or someone in his close family has a great many descendants all over Britain and that if you could find the DNA of skeletons all over Britain you would find descendants of these skeletons all over Britain.
Original post by Dez
I think you've missed the original point here. If you take two living people, both have a chain of ancestors going back as far as you care to look - there would be no point where this chain would be broken.

Correct - but I am only talking about a particular type of chain of ancestors - women only in the chain. You obviously have such a chain going back from you but what are the chances that many other people have a chain of mothers only that hits your chain of mothers only at some point?
Original post by Fango_Jett
There are issues with Syke's sequencing of the Cheddar Man. It is premature to draw any conclusions from it.

1) The research was never presented in a peer-reviewed journal and subject to criticism or review

2) DNA Testing has significantly advanced since 1997, and the original sequencing was not subject to the standards that are considered acceptable today.

3) Many notable sources have indicated that there is reasonable doubt that the DNA was contaminated.

Contaminated. Well, there's a loophole for you.
Most unbroken mother to daughter lines are eventually going to die out. My question is, what percentage of them last thousands of years?

You're still working under the premise that women have either 1 daughter or neither, where you would have a point, but not otherwise.

If a mother has 2 daughters, and those 2 daughters had daughters, and so forth, even if one if those branches die out (sons only, god lightning etc. etc.), it's far more likely that the further you go along in time, that the chain of mother-daughter is going to be existent through one branch or another.
[QUOTE="JackHorner222;59371565"]
Original post by watchingyouwatch

It strongly suggests that Cheddar man or someone in his close family has a great many descendants all over Britain and that if you could find the DNA of skeletons all over Britain you would find descendants of these skeletons all over Britain.

Cheddar man will have a great many descendants so they are bound to be all over Britain and possibly the world - I still don't see how that means most British people have ancestry dating back to Neolthic times . And even if it did -so what- they probably also have among the thousand and thousands of ancestors some from many other places- in fact they are bound to have given the history of Britain- there will be french and Nordic and Germanic and countless others- so what ? What isso significant about this one ancestors versus all the others- one which only 10% of those living their had anyway
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Irrelevant - some have multiple daughters and given 9000 years there'll be enough cross links between families to form an unbroken chain, even if some lines down have dead ends. By your argument, mitochondrial eve couldn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just want to know what percentage of mother to daughter only lines go on for thousands of years.
Contaminated. Well, there's a loophole for you.

Contamination, non-published research, non-standardized DNA testing. Yep, all artifical loopholes to support the multicultural agenda amirite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending