The Student Room Group

Abbott, Turnbull and the LibSpill - AusPol thread

Hold Aus citizenship but was born and now live in UK (been back 9yrs). Still follow Aus politics at federal and state (QLD) level where I can. Lab resurgence in Queensland was extraordinary, and now this.

Generally support UK Conservative party, but never been able to warm to the Liberals (ridiculous name) down under. Perhaps because I was around for the tail end of the Howard administration, then along came Ruddard and their in-fighting before being booted out by this mob of liars.

I gather there's a by election soon; if govt loses will than mean Bill Shorten becomes PM? Or would Turnbull cling on in minority until calling an election? I don't envy you if that happens. I wouldn't want to vote for either of them.
Four PMs in less than two years! #Legendary Oxford manages to collect fifth Australian PM and second consecutive one.

What's really interesting is how the Liberals attacked Labour for knifing Kevin Rudd, then Julia Gillard for Rudd's comeback; and now they're doing the exact same thing (new PM was Leader of the Opposition before Tony Abbott).

How many seats will the by-election affect? The coalition has many more seats than Labour does, ever if you discount the seats from the Nationals, who may or may continue with the coalition.
Reply 2
Forgot about the Nats! Just the one (Canning) I think, being held on the 19th. So yeah even if the coalition lost it'd have 89 (Libs 57) to ALP 56. I can't see the coalition breaking up, they've been together for donkey's years but I guess you never know.

It's all ok if they're the ones taking power - hmm yes the 'establishment' runs far and wide. Or it could be that those fortunate enough to go to posh schools know all the right people to gain power and influence. At least Turnbull was born in Australia, unlike Gillard and Abbott.

Wasn't sure on how accurate it is, but someone I was speaking to yesterday mentioned that the last time a PM served a full term (dear old Johnny), the iPhone hadn't been released in Australia. They had to wait until July 2008 for it, Howard got the boot in December 2007.
Original post by A.Mifflin
Forgot about the Nats! Just the one (Canning) I think, being held on the 19th. So yeah even if the coalition lost it'd have 89 (Libs 57) to ALP 56. I can't see the coalition breaking up, they've been together for donkey's years but I guess you never know.

It's all ok if they're the ones taking power - hmm yes the 'establishment' runs far and wide. Or it could be that those fortunate enough to go to posh schools know all the right people to gain power and influence. At least Turnbull was born in Australia, unlike Gillard and Abbott.

Wasn't sure on how accurate it is, but someone I was speaking to yesterday mentioned that the last time a PM served a full term (dear old Johnny), the iPhone hadn't been released in Australia. They had to wait until July 2008 for it, Howard got the boot in December 2007.

In this case was it just an excuse from Labor for losing the election? Many people seem to think they lost because of the knifing, but if it's actually common why would Australians care?

The Nationals hold only 9 seats - the Liberals hold 58 and Labor only 55. There's no way the Liberals will lose power unless something really, really unexpected happens.

Has Turnbull got better grades at Oxford though?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending