The Student Room Group

Are there any level 3 btecs you can complete in one year?

Hi, so I do A levels and applying for Uni this year am am just thinking so i am prepared for the worst outcome. I'll be applying to a uni which judges by Ucas points and think I may just be short. As you simply can't just do a AS Level now due to the changes I was wandering if there were any simple Btecs you can complete in a year for ucas points, if I miss out.

Thanks,
Any help appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same position, and i'm doing Level 3 Applied science BTEC, it's definitly easy if your doing A2's bio and chem...And it's a great addition to your personal statement, in terms of things to write about... In terms of practicals BTEC tend to outwit A levels, meaning you have more experience in labs compared to those doing A levels which is a very good skill to ehance if your applying for science based degree
Reply 2
Original post by alexp98
Hi, so I do A levels and applying for Uni this year am am just thinking so i am prepared for the worst outcome. I'll be applying to a uni which judges by Ucas points and think I may just be short. As you simply can't just do a AS Level now due to the changes I was wandering if there were any simple Btecs you can complete in a year for ucas points, if I miss out.

Thanks,
Any help appreciated :smile:

Level 3 BTECs are not necessarily 'simple' they cover the subject to the same level as an A/AS level would, they require a lot of work to achieve top grades, I averaged 10,000 words per unit to achieve D*D*D* in my extended diploma

You can do a BTEC Level 3 Certificate in one year (equivalent to 1 AS level) this would be 3 units (or 30 credits worth of units)

Also you can just do an AS level, you just have to say from the start you are only taking the AS qualification and you will sit the exams at the end of the first year
Reply 3
Original post by yt7777
Level 3 BTECs are not necessarily 'simple' they cover the subject to the same level as an A/AS level would, they require a lot of work to achieve top grades, I averaged 10,000 words per unit to achieve D*D*D* in my extended diploma

You can do a BTEC Level 3 Certificate in one year (equivalent to 1 AS level) this would be 3 units (or 30 credits worth of units)

Also you can just do an AS level, you just have to say from the start you are only taking the AS qualification and you will sit the exams at the end of the first year

Very helpful and informative! But I thought this is the last year where you can take AS levels and next year every course will be linear and two years?
Reply 4
Original post by alexp98
Very helpful and informative! But I thought this is the last year where you can take AS levels and next year every course will be linear and two years?

I think you can still apply to do an AS qualification however if you apply for it as an AS level you wont be able to carry it on to A2
a levels are a huge risk idropped out and im staying for another year for a btec
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
I think you can still apply to do an AS qualification however if you apply for it as an AS level you wont be able to carry it on to A2

Oh ok thanks. Also do you know a college that lets you do the BTEC Level 3 certificate in a year as at my local one they say the duration is 2 years for all of them?
Reply 7
Original post by alexp98
Oh ok thanks. Also do you know a college that lets you do the BTEC Level 3 certificate in a year as at my local one they say the duration is 2 years for all of them?

You can just do the first year and leave as you will get a qualification after that year as long as you complete at least 3 units
Original post by yt7777

I had to do that much for one essay on my BTEC. :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by Hashim123

Yeah same, I think my highest word count for an assignment was around 9.5k, but I said averaged, some of my units involved less writing and more practical
Reply 10
At our school, it is possible to pick up BTEC IT (6 units) and do it in a year. Some of my clasmates had dropped a third A-Level so were left 2 A-levels and they were given top priority and now are doing BTEC IT. At the moment, I am doing Business Studies, Religion and Economics and I am also fearing for the worst so I am also thinking of picking up BTEC IT and I will aim for A*A*AB. We are also given the option to change BTEC Business Studies (6 units) to BTEC Business (12 units) which mean doing 9 units in a year! Hope it helps :smile:
Have you considered an EPQ?
Reply 12
Original post by yt7777
Yeah same, I think my highest word count for an assignment was around 9.5k, but I said averaged, some of my units involved less writing and more practical

word count is irrelevant to an extent though, A level History and English word count averages at around 1-1.5k a year max but are still extremely highly regarded by everyone.
Original post by yt7777

I'm actually also interested in the question, do you think it'd be possible to do a BTEC Applied Science in a year? I'm wanting to do A-Levels but don't really have the 2 years to waste on them, is Applied Science a viable option?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14

Same here. BTEC is way harder than most people think. Maybe it's easier to pass it compared to A levels but you have to work extremely hard to get the top grades.
Reply 15
I'm actually also interested in the question, do you think it'd be possible to be a BTEC Applied Science in a year? I'm wanting to do A-Levels but don't really have the 2 years to waste on them, is Applied Science a viable option?

What size BTEC?

and what else are you studying?
Original post by yt7777
What size BTEC?

and what else are you studying?

Whichever one is equivalent to A-Level curriculum, which I'm guessing is Level 3, and preferably Extended.

Might help if I link you to my thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3571549&p=59161301#post59161301

Sorry it's a bit of a read, but all the context is there.
Original post by alexp98
...any simple Btecs you can complete in a year ...

Business Diploma... in business there are no right or wrong answers per say you just prove that you understand stuff as business models and practices change all the time its 1 year, its easy.

(I've never actually done it mind but it was an option).
Reply 18
I'm actually also interested in the question, do you think it'd be possible to be a BTEC Applied Science in a year? I'm wanting to do A-Levels but don't really have the 2 years to waste on them, is Applied Science a viable option?

Don't you want to speak to your school about this instead?
Original post by daryZ
Same here. BTEC is way harder than most people think. Maybe it's easier to pass it compared to A levels but you have to work extremely hard to get the top grades.

I think as a general rule A-Level is more learning/retention of knowledge where BTEC is more workload.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending