The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Exceptional
I got an A in mine today (a mark off an A*). It was about Economics, so if anyone needs help tackling a similar topic I'd be glad to assist. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to study economics and statistics at uni and i'm wondering how i can make my EPQ economics based and i would greatly appreciate all advice and help you can give me!
Reply 61
I know this is an older thread but how did you start it? The actual essay I mean. Did you outline what you wanted to do or..?
what was your question? and how did you structure the actual essay, your time and just things like citations etc
I'm 1/3 of the way through mine and over the summer holidays I have not made any notes or kept up with my log, is it better to make things up in terms of my diary entries or be truthful and use it as a point of evaluation?

Also, I have been citing documents as I go through as I will research things as I am writing, is this also OK to do. I will evaluate all my sources afterwards, but because I am writing about an area of Law, most of my citations are legal documents derived from the National Archives.
Hi there, I have started my epq over the summer holidays but i am a bit stuck as i have got most of my information from 3 different publications. They are really useful but they essentially contain everything i need - they have done all the summing up of different resources for me. I am doing my epq on "The future of russian arctic oil exploration". Hence i am a bit stuck as i know i need at least 20 or so sources to get info from.
Thanks
Reply 65
Original post by Alex347_
Hi, I got my EPQ result today and I got an A*. I'm not here to boast; I thought many of you might like to ask some questions about the qualification, since it is very different to most other high school qualifications and ultimately, it requires a lot of independence and is quite difficult, and so I'm sure there's a lot of you that may want advice. You can ask them here or PM me about it, I don't mind either way.

Thanks.

I'm unsure whether an EPQ is worth the amount of time I would have to put in, as I have a lot of other work, coursework and external commitments and worry it would be too stressful. Do you think it is really important and helps with a uni application? If I did it I would be predicted A* but don't know if I have the time to commit to it
Roughly how long should i spend on the EPQ if i want to get an A* in it?? & if anybody has any useful websites and resources that could help me with mine it would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by B-Whit
I'm unsure whether an EPQ is worth the amount of time I would have to put in, as I have a lot of other work, coursework and external commitments and worry it would be too stressful. Do you think it is really important and helps with a uni application? If I did it I would be predicted A* but don't know if I have the time to commit to it

Lol, it is worth a lot, some universities will look at your EPQ, and depending on how good your EPQ is you can use it in University interviews, and universities tend to take a lot of interest in your EPQ because it shows why you want to do that course but also that you know some knowledge of the course you want to do.
Reply 68
Original post by Nuc1ear Bunny
Hi there, I have started my epq over the summer holidays but i am a bit stuck as i have got most of my information from 3 different publications. They are really useful but they essentially contain everything i need - they have done all the summing up of different resources for me. I am doing my epq on "The future of russian arctic oil exploration". Hence i am a bit stuck as i know i need at least 20 or so sources to get info from.
Thanks

Well one thing to consider is other people's opinions on the topic - that should add at least 5-10 more sources, and it will help greatly with your argument; considering opposing views is essential as you need to evaluate them and say why you don't agree with that view and hence boost up your argument (I also got an A*).
Reply 69
Original post by IsaacIpi
Roughly how long should i spend on the EPQ if i want to get an A* in it?? & if anybody has any useful websites and resources that could help me with mine it would be greatly appreciated.

Well how much time do you have? My project was for a year and a half, but I basically did nothing until the last 2 months. I do not recommend this as it was a bit overwhelming, however it worked for me because a year and a half is too long to organise my thoughts - I started writing and when I went back to it I had no clue what point I was trying to make and what direction I was going in.
How big was the bundle of papers you gave in and what were the main sections of it?
How could I relate an EPQ to a Law Degree?
I don't know what I want to do when I'm in university so I can't really link/base my EPQ to my future career as my teacher & others keep saying I should do. So I'm really stuck on what to do...
I have an interest in History & learning languages but I don't have any ideas on what I could write my EPQ on.
Original post by QuantumStuff
How could I relate an EPQ to a Law Degree?

Does the law change people's morality?
How does the law change with society?

Original post by KpopFanatic
I don't know what I want to do when I'm in university so I can't really link/base my EPQ to my future career as my teacher & others keep saying I should do. So I'm really stuck on what to do...
I have an interest in History & learning languages but I don't have any ideas on what I could write my EPQ on.

Development of a language? Will we see the formation of a new language? History of language?

Could be purely historical however, if you do history it could just be a really long essay on a particular area you really like
Reply 74
How much detail did you include in the paperwork? For example is three bullet-points long enough for my mid-project review?
Original post by Nmys
Well how much time do you have? My project was for a year and a half, but I basically did nothing until the last 2 months. I do not recommend this as it was a bit overwhelming, however it worked for me because a year and a half is too long to organise my thoughts - I started writing and when I went back to it I had no clue what point I was trying to make and what direction I was going in.

Well i'm trying to get it done by the end of October but if necessary end of November. I just want to prioritize my time in terms of my personal statement and EPQ so i can fully focus on my A2 revision as early as i possibly can.
Reply 76
Original post by IsaacIpi
Well i'm trying to get it done by the end of October but if necessary end of November. I just want to prioritize my time in terms of my personal statement and EPQ so i can fully focus on my A2 revision as early as i possibly can.

When is your actual deadline?

I get your point about wanting to revise early - but don't rush it because you want to get it over with in case it goes pear shaped.

But like I said I managed to do it in 2 months, but because I left it too late towards the deadline I stopped doing everything and solely focused on my EPQ.

You can get it done by November if you get your lit review and discussion finished by mid November (meaning all your research is done by mid-October).
Reply 77
Original post by Mactotaur
How big was the bundle of papers you gave in and what were the main sections of it?

Main sections:
Contents page
Abstract
Introduction
Literature review
Discussion
Evaluation/Conclusion

Project activity log
Project proposal form
Presentation

Mine was ridiculously long - about 37 pages - but my classmates didn't extend over about 15 pages with everything together (if you're being told to write a 3000 word dissertation then that's about 7 pages on its own)
Original post by Nmys
Main sections:
Contents page
Abstract
Introduction
Literature review
Discussion
Evaluation/Conclusion

Project activity log
Project proposal form
Presentation

Mine was ridiculously long - about 37 pages - but my classmates didn't extend over about 15 pages with everything together (if you're being told to write a 3000 word dissertation then that's about 7 pages on its own)

37's long? I'm doing an artefact (short story) and my structure's looking something like this:

Project log (including the proposal form, reflection, presentation and all of that, 14 pages (if I remember right))
Essay (~1000 words, ~2 pages according to wordstopages.com)
Artefact (between 2500 and 5000 words, between 5 and 10 pages)
Research (as an appendix of sorts, looking at being around 10 or so pages)

That comes out at 36 pages, and that's assuming each project log entry is only a page each. That doesn't seem particularly long to me. Have I missed anything out?
Reply 79
Original post by Mactotaur
37's long? I'm doing an artefact (short story) and my structure's looking something like this:

Project log (including the proposal form, reflection, presentation and all of that, 14 pages (if I remember right))
Essay (~1000 words, ~2 pages according to wordstopages.com)
Artefact (between 2500 and 5000 words, between 5 and 10 pages)
Research (as an appendix of sorts, looking at being around 10 or so pages)

That comes out at 36 pages, and that's assuming each project log entry is only a page each. That doesn't seem particularly long to me. Have I missed anything out?

Ah I don't know if you are meant to include a literature review and stuff if you're doing an artefact... However evaluating your sources is important, and if you can do all that and whatever else you need to do in 1000 words then good, but to me it seems a bit short.

I recommend that you look at the mark schemes-
for AQA:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-7993-W-TG-GA.PDF

for Edexcel:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Project-Qualification/Level-3/2010/Specification/Project-Specification-Level-3.pdf

Latest

Trending

Trending