The Student Room Group

Considering engineering, but I'm worried about the maths

I do A-level maths reasonably well (For AS I got 94% UMS with 100% in M1) but it doesn't come as naturally to me as my other subjects, like chemistry and biology. I don't do further maths either. Just wondering how well this bodes for engineering??
Original post by Boople
I do A-level maths reasonably well (For AS I got 94% UMS with 100% in M1) but it doesn't come as naturally to me as my other subjects, like chemistry and biology. I don't do further maths either. Just wondering how well this bodes for engineering??

You got >90% in A-level maths and are worried the maths in engineering?!
Reply 2
Original post by Smack

Haha I know right!
I got a D in maths A level at my first attempt and a B when I resat, and I got my degree in mechanical engineering from a top 10 university. I think you'll be able to manage the maths!
Reply 4
Original post by Smack

I heard the maths was quite heavy, and a lot of unis strongly recommend doing further maths, so thats why I was worried.
So you think I should be ok with the maths then?
Reply 5
Original post by CurlyBen
I got a D in maths A level at my first attempt and a B when I resat, and I got my degree in mechanical engineering from a top 10 university. I think you'll be able to manage the maths!

What sort of maths did you do in your degree? How much of the degree was maths compared to the more practical elements?
Original post by Boople
What sort of maths did you do in your degree? How much of the degree was maths compared to the more practical elements?

It's been a few years now, but calculus (including vector calculus), matrices and Laplace transforms are the topics I remember (though I'd have no hope at answering a question now!). Most universities have the outline syllabus for each course online, I know Southampton does.

I found the maths content to be frustratingly high, there were a lot of modules (vibrations, mechanics of solids and systems & control spring to mind, but to be honest most 1st and 2nd year modules) where an understanding of the underlying fundamentals was worth very little in the exam without being able to solve the mathematical side of the questions. Generally, the good mathematicians got good marks across the board, whereas poor mathematicians like myself struggled (I retook 2nd year and graduated with a 2:2). It was a complete non-issue after I'd graduated and started working in a design office however, where understanding was far more important than maths. However with results like yours I really wouldn't be too concerned about engineering maths! I scraped a B at A2 maths and made it through, and if I'm honest I could probably have passed 2nd year first time and gotten at least a 2:1 if I'd put the effort in with maths but I just didn't enjoy it and didn't put the time in.
Original post by Boople
I heard the maths was quite heavy, and a lot of unis strongly recommend doing further maths, so thats why I was worried.
So you think I should be ok with the maths then?

If you put in the work you should be fine. Don't worry. If you can get 90%+ then even if you are exposed to content that you haven't previously covered (unlikely given that I am not aware of any universities that require further maths for entry - but don't quote me on that since I didn't do A-levels nor did I study in England) you will be able to learn it.

Quick Reply