The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3420
Original post by MoveTheChains
I'd be surprised if the start date was before Xmas. I assumed it would be January what with how many people are being recruited...

Maybe, but looking at the thread of people entering HMRC after the Tax Professional Graduate Scheme they seem to be starting all the time,

so definitely hoping it will be way before Xmas considering we have already done all the interview process and application

Just wondering, did you try to apply for the HO position with that vacancy?
Received the Pre-employment checks letter / email for DAS last week. Haven't much time to look at it till now.

If I get offered a position, I hope it's a field I'll find interesting or related to my degree. Would hate to have to decline.
I haven't heard from any government department yet about a job offer. I received the initial email from Parity on 6th August. Civil service recruitment is crazy-slow :/
Well, it's mid-September and I've heard nothing from HMRC. Not surprised, but increasingly annoyed.

Anybody else heard anything yet?
Original post by JHart1865
Well, it's mid-September and I've heard nothing from HMRC. Not surprised, but increasingly annoyed.

Anybody else heard anything yet?

Nope. Is it too soon for us all to send an email to the person quoted in the original email?
Original post by Yawn11
Received the Pre-employment checks letter / email for DAS last week. Haven't much time to look at it till now.

If I get offered a position, I hope it's a field I'll find interesting or related to my degree. Would hate to have to decline.

Why did you bother applying for the FS in the first place then? You do realise the FS has 6 placements over 4 years doing anything they feel they want you to do, you don't get to pick and choose. Do you really think you can just do whatever you want? I think you sound incredibly ungrateful if I am completely honest with you. Getting a direct appointment is an invaluable opportunity to gain experience, and places you in an almost certain position to get onto the FS subsequently - something that hardly anyone gets the opportunity to do.

It also pains me to read through a lot of ridiculous comments treating this as a job. You're starting a career. Once you're in you can transfer to pretty much anywhere, doing anything.

I'm sorry this is so blunt, but a few of you here due for direct appointments come across as really 'self-entitled', and as such need a serious reality check if you want to actually do well in the civil service, as a civil servant. If you can't hack that challenge, go to the private sector.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Magnum Opus
Why did you bother applying for the FS in the first place then?

Probably because it was in the field he/she had an interest in and related to his/her degree.

You do realise the FS has 6 placements over 4 years doing anything they feel they want you to do, you don't get to pick and choose. Do you really think you can just do whatever you want?

I'm sure he/she was fully aware of the way the FS works and by applying to the stream he/she wanted to he/she actually DID choose to do whatever they wanted.

I think you sound incredibly ungrateful if I am completely honest with you.

I'm sure he/she is heartbroken by your words.

Getting a direct appointment is an invaluable opportunity to gain experience, and places you in an almost certain position to get onto the FS subsequently - something that hardly anyone gets the opportunity to do.

I don't see anyone saying it's anything but.

It also pains me to read through a lot of ridiculous comments treating this as a job. You're starting a career. Once you're in you can transfer to pretty much anywhere, doing anything.

Again, I don't see anyone saying any different!

I'm sorry this is so blunt, but a few of you here due for direct appointments come across as really 'self-entitled', and as such need a serious reality check if you want to actually do well in the civil service, as a civil servant. If you can't hack that challenge, go to the private sector.

I think you know very little about anything or anyone on this thread. So to make assumptions on their ability to do a job based on what's written on TSR, quite frankly says more about you than it does anyone on here!

Thank you for your contribution though, you're certainly keeping up the stereotype.
Why did you bother applying for the FS in the first place then? You do realise the FS has 6 placements over 4 years doing anything they feel they want you to do, you don't get to pick and choose.

You've essentially pointed out that the experience would be diverse. I can't imagine I'd like each placement on the same level/

It's evident things haven't gone as you'd like them to and you're misplacing your frustration.

Deep breaths, everything will be ok in the end mate. Have faith in that.

Peace
Again I apologise for the bluntness of my comment, but it is based on observations in this thread over the past month or two. I also don't mean for my comment to be misconstrued as 'personal', rather it is the 'straw that broke the camel's back' so to say - I've been holding off commenting for months. I was hoping you'd take my remarks as honest feedback to consider, rather than respond with unnecessary personal attacks.

And you're right, it hasn't gone as I'd have 'liked it to'. It's been going much better. My only frustrations are with the 'self-entitled' attitudes, as I've said. I do hope the best for both of you (and everyone else), so I do hope you take my remarks as honest feedback rather than respond with further personal attacks.
Again I apologise for the bluntness of my comment, but it is based on observations in this thread over the past month or two. I also don't mean for my comment to be misconstrued as 'personal', rather it is the 'straw that broke the camel's back' so to say - I've been holding off commenting for months. I was hoping you'd take my remarks as honest feedback to consider, rather than respond with unnecessary personal attacks.

And you're right, it hasn't gone as I'd have 'liked it to'. It's been going much better. My only frustrations are with the 'self-entitled' attitudes, as I've said. I do hope the best for both of you (and everyone else), so I do hope you take my remarks as honest feedback rather than respond with further personal attacks.

Problem you have is that you don't know peoples personal circumstances. I personally heard about the DAS on my graduation day, which was in early July. It is exactly because I see the CS as a career rather than a job, with fantastic prospects and excellent benefits both professionally and personally, that it has prevented me from finding alternative employment. This is having a dramatic effect on my finances and therefore putting strains on my personal relations. I've also decided against pursuing a Masters degree (which was entirely funded) to take a job in the CS.
Now, given all that and the lack of communication from anyone about anything to do with the role, I think i'm entitled to be more than a little frustrated.
If that seems unreasonable to you, then I apologise. But I don't personally think it is.
Original post by JHart1865
I personally heard about the DAS on my graduation day, which was in early July.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply

Its discussed at the end of the process explanation.

Its also been discussed quite a lot over the last seven years worth of fast stream threads (one for each competition year) on here.
Why did you bother applying for the FS in the first place then? You do realise the FS has 6 placements over 4 years doing anything they feel they want you to do, you don't get to pick and choose. Do you really think you can just do whatever you want? I think you sound incredibly ungrateful if I am completely honest with you. Getting a direct appointment is an invaluable opportunity to gain experience, and places you in an almost certain position to get onto the FS subsequently - something that hardly anyone gets the opportunity to do.

The difference is that if you get a placement / location in the fast stream it only lasts for six months; while you could move elsewhere from a job with DAS, it would happen further away in the future and is dependent on a successful application rather than an guaranteed process.
Original post by TritonSails
The difference is that if you get a placement / location in the fast stream it only lasts for six months; while you could move elsewhere from a job with DAS, it would happen further away in the future and is dependent on a successful application rather than an guaranteed process.

Indeed that is partly true, but I don't agree on the time. The only barrier to progressing is one's own motivations and determination.
(edited 8 years ago)
Indeed that is partly true, but I don't agree on the time. The only barrier to progressing is one's own motivations and determination.

Sure -- but not everyone is a superhero. The pattern I've observed in former DAS EOs in my department is either successfully applying to the Fast Stream or moving to an HEO role in the same department / office after a year.
Well that escalated quickly.

I'm sorry, but you can't expect people to not have other factors involved when choosing a job. A career isn't the only thing in people's lives. I can't think of many people, outside those unemployed, who would take a job they didn't want to do.
I appreciate that. I don't think the demographic of this website, or the normal offline social networks of users, falls anywhere near the 'disadvantaged' population. It's in this sense I'm contributing my own perspective, and challenging the elements of 'self-entitlement' that are very obvious to me throughout this thread. On your unemployment point, 16% of youth in the UK would definitely have words with you on that, not to mention 'underemployment' etc. I'm merely trying to convey that people here need to have a little more recognition of their own luck, and appreciate what they have, and what they are being offered. Even to get DAS puts you in the top 1-2% of the population, a kind of opportunity that by far the majority of people will never get. This is why I'm voicing my observations, this is the frame through which my comments should be viewed. I'm offering a behavioural and attitude challenge that really shouldn't be being dismissed, especially with personal attacks, by people who want to represent and improve the lives of the wider public.

If we want to talk about personal circumstances, I was homeless during my GCSEs, I have no family, I left uni at the peak of the financial crash impact on youth with 22-25% unemployment, and it's taken me several years to get to the point where I'm able to join the FS through my own determination and luck. I just want to point out that these self-entitled attitudes illustrate how people really don't know how lucky they are, and they should, because the vast majority of people will never get the opportunities we do.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd like to know what in particular you've read to give you this opinion?

I think everyone on this thread is holding back other things to await the outcome, I think that shows people are very appreciative of how good an opportunity the DAS is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A3561
It is very sad that you had those experiences, and amazing that you managed to get out of that situation and join the fast stream, but that does not mean that other members of this forum are not going through hard times. I do not think that anyone is not appreciative of what the direct scheme could offer them, I myself have wanted to join the civil service, particularly the HMRC, since my A Level days, and now am so happy that it might potentially happen. This has meant that the wait while our posts are being finalised has been quite stressful, and things such as explaining why I am not job searching, after graduating, to people who do not understand the process has been awkward.

The direct appointment scheme is a completely different opportunity than the fast stream, for me it would work out better as I prefer to stay in one place. But for others they applied for a higher salary, and more progression, so exchanging one plan for another is hard without much information being given to us.

I personally feel that your initial post was intended to provoke other members on this thread, which is unfair, and as a new member of TSR surprising, as I thought this site and thread in particular was amazing for providing support and information in a stressful time. You are now asking for personal attacks to be stopped, but the initial attack was you calling everyone self entitled without knowing their circumstances.

I hope everyone hears back about their DAS soon so this speculation can end.

Applicants to the fast stream are not typically on the breadline, 30 odd % of entrants are Oxbridge...
Original post by A3561
so?

Applicants are not representative of society at large, they are typically in a more cushy position.
. I just want to point out that these self-entitled attitudes illustrate how people really don't know how lucky they are, and they should, because the vast majority of people will never get the opportunities we do.

Tbh you're quite clearly confusing a "personal ideal" with "self-entitlement".

No one knows the depth of your personal history or struggles, and similarly, you don't know theirs. So your comments do appear irrational/unwarranted/hypocritical, should be quite apparent with the other members responses.

Anyway, I didn't take it personally, as you do not know me personally.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending