The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should a woman go to jail for falsely accusing a man of rape?

Just seen it on facebook and thought it would be a good idea to ask on here.

Scroll to see replies

minimum 5 years and damages paid for the innocent man who has spent time in jail.
Why not? If it was vice versa the guy would spend his life in jail.

No sympathy for women like that, sorry.
Yes. It could ruin a man's life, the woman shouldn't be able to just get away with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definately
Reply 5
Original post by SourLikeLemon
Why not? If it was vice versa the guy would spend his life in jail.

No sympathy for women like that, sorry.

I don't really have an opinion on it, I was just curious as to know what other people think. I'm trying to think of whether i'm all for it or not, I don't really know...

My only argument would be that; how could you possibly prove she was lying? rape is such a tricky subject when it's put into the hands of the law. Often women get ignored when they report rapes, so could this make it even worse for women?
Yes! Of course!
Reply 7
Yes and the punishment should be equal to that of rape IMO.
No. Don't be absurd. I mean, I'm sure rape does happen legitimately yet it cannot be proved in a court quite a lot. That's an issue and punishing the women then for the rigour of the courts being too much to give her justice for the crime she had to tolerate is just as heinous as jailing a male for rape when he is innocent.

Something needs to be done but jailing false accusers 100% of the time is just a bit silly.
Reply 9
Original post by stochasticking
It's easy to prove it. Usually they just use a lie detector.

I swear it's not legal to use lie detectors in legal cases?? That's what I've always been told anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If there is evidence that the woman lied, rather than just a case of the man not being jailed for rape due to lack of evidence then yes I do think the woman should be punished legally.
absolutely
Mens rea: an accusation adjudged unprovable is not ipso-facto or otherwise intrinsically 'false', and nor are all falsehoods necessarily culpable however incidentally calamitous.

Consequently, whilst I do of course agree in principle, only the most flagrant examples are likely ever to see any kind of judicial remedy.
Reply 13
Bring back the rope i say

Spoiler

Original post by elliemayxo
I swear it's not legal to use lie detectors in legal cases?? That's what I've always been told anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're not. They are too unreliable.

Original post by SophieSmall
If there is evidence that the woman lied, rather than just a case of the man not being jailed for rape due to lack of evidence then yes I do think the woman should be punished legally.

Wise. I agree.
Original post by TorpidPhil
No. Don't be absurd. I mean, I'm sure rape does happen legitimately yet it cannot be proved in a court quite a lot. That's an issue and punishing the women then for the rigour of the courts being too much to give her justice for the crime she had to tolerate is just as heinous as jailing a male for rape when he is innocent.

Something needs to be done but jailing false accusers 100% of the time is just a bit silly.

Quite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well how do they prove that it was consentual then? The silly women must contradict themselves lol
Reply 17
Just seen it on facebook and thought it would be a good idea to ask on here.

Nononononononononoo....

instead, she should be raped..... by monkeys
Original post by stochasticking
Well how do they prove that it was consentual then? The silly women must contradict themselves lol

Obviously they have to look into every single last bit of detail within the two statements by each party.

It's not as simple as 'finding them guilty'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
It's a tricky one because a lot of legitimate rape cases get the not guilty verdict and the man gets away with it... essentially saying the rapist did not commit the crime and the victim is lying. How would you tell the false ones from the true ones? Firstly it would probably be soul destroying for a person who was raped to go through a court case to prove that they were raped... which can be hard to do... then go through another to prove they weren't lying if the rapist was found not guilty... THEN have the possibily of going to jail? It just doesn't work. I think the risk of that happening outweighs the justice of punishing a false accusation. It would also put people off reporting that they were raped.

Then again, false rape accusations can be life destroying even if the man is found not guilty and does not end up with jail time and are an evil thing. The whole process of being accused and going to court and having to defend yourself for something you didn't do that is that extreme... terrible. They also make things harder for people who are actually raped. I guess it would just have to depend on the case. I just think to prosecute people for it you would have to put EVERY person who accused someone of raping them on trial if their accused rapist was found not guilty which is the majority of cases and would be traumatising for the victim even if they were also found not guilty of lying about the rape. I don't even know how that would work with the law... rapist being found not guilty of raping but the victim found not guilty of lying... is that possible?
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending