The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

A very, very surprising result last night indeed. Reading now a point behind Ipswich, and Orlando Sa was absolutely unplayable last night.

What a strike by Norwood, too.
The Brighton fan I know is a happy man. Five clean sheets at home in a row.
Busy couple of weeks, good results throughout though. Victories in the league have sent us to just two points behind the playoffs, and we have also progressed to the second qualifying round for the FA Cup. Anyone from Brighton fancy a decent match, we've got Whitehawk away!
What do you guys think makes a 'proper fan' or a 'real fan' ? For me its for those who actually go to the matches and watch the team play rather than on TV. When you go to a match you know whats it like to actually be a part of that team, whereas when you watch it at home its not that good as it is when your at the ground. Fair enough if you cant go to the ground due to financial reasons ect, its ok but if you can make the effort your a bit lazy. Not only that I support my local team very passionately, and I feel part of the club as it represent the city I live in in many ways and the chants are usually applied to the area of the club.

Thats why for some people who support like Arsenal but live in Leeds, its something I dont understand because there club is just so far away and its not really supporting when its on TV, its just like watching a programme.

So what do you see as a real fan ? Thats why I have a lot of respect for lower league fans as they actually go the games despite being in the lower leagues.
Steve Davis has decided that there will not be more loan signings at Crewe despite their poor start.

Interesting.
Unsure where else to put this, really, so...

A Criminal Cases Review Commission panel has met to consider the case of convicted rapist Ched Evans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34259691
Original post by redleader1
What do you guys think makes a 'proper fan' or a 'real fan' ? For me its for those who actually go to the matches and watch the team play rather than on TV. When you go to a match you know whats it like to actually be a part of that team, whereas when you watch it at home its not that good as it is when your at the ground. Fair enough if you cant go to the ground due to financial reasons ect, its ok but if you can make the effort your a bit lazy. Not only that I support my local team very passionately, and I feel part of the club as it represent the city I live in in many ways and the chants are usually applied to the area of the club.

Thats why for some people who support like Arsenal but live in Leeds, its something I dont understand because there club is just so far away and its not really supporting when its on TV, its just like watching a programme.

So what do you see as a real fan ? Thats why I have a lot of respect for lower league fans as they actually go the games despite being in the lower leagues.

It isn't all about league status though it is obviously easier if your home team is doing well. I don't think anything superhuman is necessary, but I think 2 things are important: a connection to the team by something other than how good they are and a willingness to stick with that team come what may.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
It isn't all about league status though it is obviously easier if your home team is doing well. I don't think anything superhuman is necessary, but I think 2 things are important: a connection to the team by something other than how good they are and a willingness to stick with that team come what may.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would you say you can have that connection ? Ie area ? Like the Yorkshire teams usually chant 'Yorkshire' when they play a team that isnt from Yorkshire. However like I said if someone lives in Leeds and they support Arsenal. Where is that connection ?
Maybe they moved to Yorkshire from London or have relatives that live in London. They wouldn't be supporting arsenal for the glory (that category belongs to chelsea and man city atm)
Original post by shawn_o1
Maybe they moved to Yorkshire from London or have relatives that live in London. They wouldn't be supporting arsenal for the glory (that category belongs to chelsea and man city atm)

I think supporting Arsenal is a touch easier than supporting Leeds. If your definition of 'crap' is CL every year then cover me in it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redleader1
How would you say you can have that connection ? Ie area ? Like the Yorkshire teams usually chant 'Yorkshire' when they play a team that isnt from Yorkshire. However like I said if someone lives in Leeds and they support Arsenal. Where is that connection ?

The simplest is where you live/grew up. Others might be the team your dad supported, them wearing your favourite colour or whatever. Basically as long as it is not founded on 'they're good/winning most of the time' you are a lot less likely to give up your support based on results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
The simplest is where you live/grew up. Others might be the team your dad supported, them wearing your favourite colour or whatever. Basically as long as it is not founded on 'they're good/winning most of the time' you are a lot less likely to give up your support based on results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But why is it 'where you live/grew up' a good reason. Not disagreeing with you btw.
Holy ****. Just saw Preston's goal from last night against Bristol City at Deepdale. What a strike, son! Goal of the week for the Football League for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9HazjiUlIw

I really need to go and see Dulwich!
Original post by Jangrafess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9HazjiUlIw

I really need to go and see Dulwich!

I have kicked a football about on their pitch! There was a beer festival there a couple of years ago.

(I left my beer on the touchline, no drinking and kicking for me!)

More importantly, Barnet won yesterday!
Great to see Armstrong scoring again for Coventry - surely McClaren won't keep him there much longer with how profligate the Newcastle front-line is? - and it's wonderful to see Hasselbaink's Burton leading the way in the third tier.
Original post by Mackay
Great to see Armstrong scoring again for Coventry - surely McClaren won't keep him there much longer with how profligate the Newcastle front-line is? - and it's wonderful to see Hasselbaink's Burton leading the way in the third tier.

They would have to be extremely desperate but if it continues as is then who knows, he couldn't do any worse. Hopefully we'll have Maddison back by then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dissapointing game from Bradford :frown:. 2-0 then 2-2. It actually feels like a loss a very winable game that was in the tense Yorkshire derby. Btw for anyone in league one are Bradford a threat to you as this season we are 'supposed' to go up as its been in the press but realistically it early days. But does anyone see us as a threat ??
The starts that Sheffield utd and Coventry have made, hope they don't peter out. Cause those football clubs deserve to be in a higher division

Quick Reply

Latest