The Student Room Group

How soon can I claim JSA after my college course finishes?

I'm 18 next month and am studying a 1 year course at college which finishes end of June. If I can't find a job, how soon can I claim Jobseekers?
Will I have to wait for a certain period before I can start a claim?
It's when your oficcial end date at college is. But if you claim JSA, your parents can't receive child benefits for you.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
It's when your oficcial end date at college is. But if you claim JSA, your parents can't receive child benefits for you.

They wouldnt be able to anyway if OP is over 16 and not in approved education/training.
Reply 3
Original post by Bagpuss2610
I'm 18 next month and am studying a 1 year course at college which finishes end of June. If I can't find a job, how soon can I claim Jobseekers?

Your course will have an official end date (may be after exams), you can claim from this date. If you claim after this date they may be able to backdate is slightly.
Original post by Reue
They wouldnt be able to anyway if OP is over 16 and not in approved education/training.

For those who are 18, it can carry on until August 31st.
Reply 5
For those who are 18, it can carry on until August 31st.

Ah, you are right :smile:

When approved education or training ends

When your child leaves approved education or training payments will stop at the end of February, 31 May, 31 August or 30 November (whichever comes first).

So the question is; which is worth more?
Reply 6
Sorry what payments stop 31 Aug - child benefit?
Sorry what payments stop 31 Aug - child benefit?

Yes. Child benefit and tax credits stop August 31st.

For reference - JSA is a maximum of £57.90 per week, child benefit is £20.70 and child tax credits is £63 ish per week. Your parents, depending on their income, may receive less than this for you. There are a lot of changes coming in April with regards to tax credits.
Reply 8
Yes. Child benefit and tax credits stop August 31st.

For reference - JSA is a maximum of £57.90 per week, child benefit is £20.70 and child tax credits is £63 ish per week. Your parents, depending on their income, may receive less than this for you. There are a lot of changes coming in April with regards to tax credits.

Last question I promise- would child benefit & child tax credits continue if I'm in full time college and turn 19?
Last question I promise- would child benefit & child tax credits continue if I'm in full time college and turn 19?

Yes. But you have be under 19 when the course starts.
Reply 10
Yes. But you have be under 19 when the course starts.

Really appreciate you taking time to share this information.
Cheers

You can claim now if your course takes up less than 16 hours per week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
unfortunately it's full time ie. more than 16hrs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending