The Student Room Group

Mechanics Help

Hi, I've been given some prepatory mechanics problems by my university and I'm struggling with a few of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Firefox23
Hi, I've been given some prepatory mechanics problems by my university and I'm struggling with a few of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would help if you'd post the actual problem...
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman

Sorry I didn't notice there was an error with the attachments, I'll try again
Reply 3
Original post by Hydeman

Questions are now attached
plane.jpg

do a diagram like this one ?
Reply 5

the bear gave you a hint on the first question
for more solved examples look at this link
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m3_m4_relative_motion.pdf

the second question is very standard but I do not have the time at present to discuss the solution on line as this is very long.
Again until somebody helps you look at some suitable solved examples in this link
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m3_m5_s.h.m.pdf
(dynamics section)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
image.jpg
Original post by the bear
plane.jpg

do a diagram like this one ?

This is what I have drawn, I thought that the relative velocity should be directed North? Then I used sine and cosine rules to try and find the bearing but the answer I get isn't correct it should be 8.13 degrees west of North
image.jpg

This is what I have drawn, I thought that the relative velocity should be directed North? Then I used sine and cosine rules to try and find the bearing but the answer I get isn't correct it should be 8.13 degrees west of North

the resultant velocity ( velocity with respect to the ground ) has to point north. the other two velocities must be nose-to-tail to produce this.

the 300 must be pointing slightly anticlockwise from North
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
the resultant velocity ( velocity with respect to the ground ) has to point north. the other two velocities must be nose-to-tail to produce this.

the 300 must be pointing slightly anticlockwise from North

Like this? image.jpg
Like this? image.jpg

the wind is correct.... the airspeed must be NOSE to TAIL with the wind.
Reply 10
image.jpg
the wind is correct.... the airspeed must be NOSE to TAIL with the wind.

How's this?

Quick Reply

Latest