The Student Room Group

Should I drop a level further maths?

Okay, so this may sound a bit dumb, but should I drop a level further maths? Because I find normal a level maths really hard, where as further maths is a breeze and by dropping further maths it will allow me to just concentrate on normal maths. Also if I was to drop it, should I pick another A level or should I just keep down to 3 (maths, computer science and physics.). Will it affect me in anyway, I do want to do an apprenticeship in game development after college than going to uni.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump!
Reply 2
Did you say that you find A-level Maths harder than Further Maths?
Reply 3
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Did you say that you find A-level Maths harder than Further Maths?

Yes, I don't know why but it is so much easier doing further maths.
Reply 4
Well, I'd suggest keeping both because doing FP2 and FP3 will make your calculus, graph sketching ability, vectors, coordinate geometry very strong. C3 and C4 become really easy afterwards. What modules did you do and what were your final UMS, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
Well, I'd suggest keeping both because doing FP2 and FP3 will make your calculus, graph sketching ability, vectors, coordinate geometry very strong. C3 and C4 become really easy afterwards. What modules did you do and what were your final UMS, if you don't mind me asking?

I haven't done any UMS? I'm only at the start of college. I'm doing m1 and c1, right now m1 is easier than c1 (which I think is incredibly hard.)
Reply 6
Oh, I'm sorry mate, I thought you were in A2 for some reason. I'd suggest keeping further maths to at least AS - it's of very high value to universities. C1 is really the foundation of A-level Maths, considered by many to be the easiest maths module. Have you tried going over the content in www.examsolutions.net and practising some book questions? If you keep doing so, you'll get a hang of it. What other modules are you doing?
Reply 7
Oh, I'm sorry mate, I thought you were in A2 for some reason. I'd suggest keeping further maths to at least AS - it's of very high value to universities. C1 is really the foundation of A-level Maths, considered by many to be the easiest maths module. Have you tried going over the content in www.examsolutions.net and practising some book questions? If you keep doing so, you'll get a hang of it. What other modules are you doing?

I think I'm doing c1,2,3 and 4. (Normal maths) and for further maths m1, I don't really know the rest. (By the way, can I ask do you get a choice of what you want to do at the end between m1, decision making and statistics?)
Reply 8
Yes, you do. I'm not sure how your college in particular might do it usually you can pick what modules you do. You're doing the full maths A-level this year then?
Reply 9
Yes, you do. I'm not sure how your college in particular might do it usually you can pick what modules you do. You're doing the full maths A-level this year then?

No, pretty sure we're doing it half this year and half next year.
Reply 10
You'll need 4 other modules other than C1 and M1 to do both Further Maths and Maths AS this year. Do you know what those might be? (C2 and FP1 must be included)
You'll need 4 other modules other than C1 and M1 to do both Further Maths and Maths AS this year. Do you know what those might be? (C2 and FP1 must be included)

I know after m1 we are doing s1 afterwards, I think the other one is d1
Reply 12
This year, you'll be introduced to plenty of different kinds of maths - they won't be difficult, but you'll meet many new concepts. In order to do well you'll need to do a lot of practice - give at least an hour a day to both maths and further maths outside school right now. Honestly, it's really not too difficult to get an A in both, you'll just need to devout time to study independently. I'd say go for it and don't think of dropping AS Further Maths, it's highly regarded by universities (you might even want to continue to A2 by the end of the year!)
This year, you'll be introduced to plenty of different kinds of maths - they won't be difficult, but you'll meet many new concepts. In order to do well you'll need to do a lot of practice - give at least an hour a day to both maths and further maths outside school right now. Honestly, it's really not too difficult to get an A in both, you'll just need to devout time to study independently. I'd say go for it and don't think of dropping AS Further Maths, it's highly regarded by universities (you might even want to continue to A2 by the end of the year!)

Oops, sorry for the late reply was doing some homework, the thing is I think/pretty certain that I don't want to go to university and would rather go follow my dream earlier by doing a apprenticeship, would dropping or keeping it do anything?
do both, you'll get some skills from further maths which you can transfer over to the regular maths modules
Original post by 雷尼克
do both, you'll get some skills from further maths which you can transfer over to the regular maths modules

I know that's what I've been told but, I don't know whether I should drop it or not I've only been put down for an AS level in it . And I only got a grade A at maths at gcse, if I'm finding normal maths hard, further maths may become super hard. It was also something that I didn't pick for myself the woman at enrollment told me that I should change phycology to FM.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
What modules are you doing?
Original post by ubisoft
What modules are you doing?

M1, s1, fp1 and fp2/d1. For further maths
Reply 18
Original post by Jiffylemmon
M1, s1, fp1 and fp2/d1. For further maths

What are you currently doing in further that you find easy? fp2 is probably the hardest module in all of A-levels.
Reply 19
Original post by ubisoft
What are you currently doing in further that you find easy? fp2 is probably the hardest module in all of A-levels.

Personally find FP3 harder. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest