The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should a woman go to jail for falsely accusing a man of rape?

Scroll to see replies

There is a case (more?) of one woman who is a serial accuser but because of victim anonymity , the defence have no idea that she has been found guilty several times before.
I do agree with anonymity but there should be a system to cope with this.
That isn't saying that however bad an individual may be for tying to pervert the course of justice, they can still be raped, like any other person can.

the MP/people of power stuff in the press at the moment has caused several people's names to be in the press, yet the "victim" is anonymous, and they have now dropped the case as the so called facts don't ring true. But mud sticks.

what is also worrying is they the UK police now keep a "suspected but not found guilty or charged" list that can be open to disclosure and the falsely accused victims of false accusers stay on.
Reply 61
Yes they should absolutely go to jail atleast for a few years because it's a very serious allegation.
Lock them up and throw away the key.
Of course, she could ruin his life, not to mention the credibility of other women who have actually been raped.
There is certainly a case for basing the sentencing guidelines for it on those for rape
Original post by SourLikeLemon
Why not? If it was vice versa the guy would spend his life in jail.

No sympathy for women like that, sorry.

You think a guy would spend his life in jail for falsely accusing a woman of rape?
2 years ago I was raped.
3 months ago my rapist was jailed for 12 years.
If women were jailed for lying about being raped I probably wouldn't have reported it.
People don't believe women who are raped were as it is. When you're in court giving evidence against them you feel like your on trial, they make you question yourself even though there is evidence. If I reported it a year or so later there wouldn't be that evidence, at least not most of it. If they thought I was lying and he got away with it, it would probably be my breaking point.

Don't forget there are date rape drugs and men can also lie about being raped.
Original post by elliemayxo
Just seen it on facebook and thought it would be a good idea to ask on here.

No they should just be given a hefty fine

because if a woman was to really be raped, and she wasn't able to prove it, first that'd be unjust to put her in jail, and secondly it'd deter women away from telling police if they really did get raped

I don't know what other criminal false accuser's punishments are
Original post by stochasticking
It's easy to prove it. Usually they just use a lie detector.

lol we don't use lie detectors on criminals in the UK. They're not 100% accurate
Lol at the people on the fence about this
Original post by ElephantMemory
The trouble with this is it would put women off from reporting rapes.

not the genuine ones who have a story to tell

if anything, it would make all the false accusers think twice before making any false claims. it would make them double-take before they decide to destroy a guys' life for trivial, moronic, idiotic reasons.

e.g. i read a story on bbc news a couple of days ago (i orignially found it on twitter but then did my own research into its' validity); wherein a girl had sex with a guy she met at a club. end of the night came and she couldn't get a ride home. so her b.f. called to pick her up; but then in order to not seem like she cheated, she accused the poor guy of raping her. the man had his entire life turned upside down. his parents family and friends all revoked and rejected him. he became a loner in a scary reality of a planet under 2 seconds. all his files both future and past tainted and his innocence stripped from him like a disgusting rug in tatters under an equally decimated poor excuse of a table.

he was desolated and was thrown in jail. had his name blasted all over the papers... for a crime he didn't do - despite all the evidence thrown in light of it. his friends both past and present shaming, mocking and bullying him for an incident that according to all the evidence SHOULD have been allowed to happen/occur as normal.

eventually, they found enough evidence to prove that he was innocent. and the remedy of all this? he was let go. that's it. no cure to the hell he had to go throgh for two weeks; the broken and severely torn relationships he had with everyone else but himself. the fact that he wouldn't be able to live as he desired any more because of that stigma that hung on his head.

and what, pray tell, would cause a woman to do such a thing? to ultimately decimate a poor innocent soul like that? for something that was caused by her own actions. a decision that she and she alone was responsible for?

she didn't want her b.f. to know that she had cheated on him.

welcome to the 21st century.

sadly enough, the above doesn't happen as rare as we would think it does. this happens 1000 times more. so when that law comes in as a deterrent for all the most idiotic 'rape' cases; believe me, i'm not the only guy who's happy. i'm not, as it means that time and accuracy can be devoted to actual cases; and money, desolation and slander of the highest degree by the most public outlets wouldn't occur.
you go girl....

Spoiler

Original post by sqwertylol
lol we don't use lie detectors on criminals in the UK. They're not 100% accurate

Thank you for informing me. If only someone had mentioned this earlier.
If you can prove the accusation is false, yes.

However what if a woman brings rape charges against someone but they're found not guilty, even though they were actually raped? Should she then be charged with making false allegations?

There is also a significant issue in getting victims to come forward anyway, a law like this would compound the issue (not saying a law like this shouldn't be in place but in the current situation this would happen).
Original post by Profesh
Mens rea: an accusation adjudged unprovable is not ipso-facto or otherwise intrinsically 'false', and nor are all falsehoods necessarily culpable however incidentally calamitous.

Consequently, whilst I do of course agree in principle, only the most flagrant examples are likely ever to see any kind of judicial remedy.

And rightly so, but the law should be there regardless.
Thank you for informing me. If only someone had mentioned this earlier.

all good being sarcastic now but you were the one that said the police use them for real. dumbass
Original post by sqwertylol
all good being sarcastic now but you were the one that said the police use them for real. dumbass

I had been told about 20 times already dumbass
Reply 77
Definitely, if true, then in my eyes would be a crime, and a nuisance.
Original post by TorpidPhil
No. Don't be absurd. I mean, I'm sure rape does happen legitimately yet it cannot be proved in a court quite a lot. That's an issue and punishing the women then for the rigour of the courts being too much to give her justice for the crime she had to tolerate is just as heinous as jailing a male for rape when he is innocent.

Something needs to be done but jailing false accusers 100% of the time is just a bit silly.

I don't think OP means that any woman who says she is raped and the guy is not charged will be charged with making false accusations... not having enough evidence to prove the man is a rapist is not the same as proving him innocent and her guilty instead... in the same way as rape is very tricky to prosecute this would be as well as there'd have to be genuine evidence she lied

Well how do they prove that it was consentual then? The silly women must contradict themselves lol

this is why rape is so tricky to prosecute, if there are only two people present and one person claims it was consensual sex and the other that it was rape it is very hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt what happened
i had been told about 20 times already dumbass

looool good dumbass!!

Latest

Trending

Trending