The Student Room Group

What is "Cashing in" A-level grades?

I am retaking AS/A2 in my Third Year privately.
I've entered in as a private candidate at a centre, and was asked if I wanted to " Cash in" my grades?

Do I need to do this?
Also, what is "caching" A-level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aneducation
I've entered in as a private candidate at a centre, and was asked if I wanted to " Cash in" my grades?

Do I need to do this?

You’ll be issued a UMS mark and grade for each unit. When you complete the course your school or college will ask us to add your unit UMS scores together to calculate your overall AS or A level grade - this is called ‘cashing in’.

AS units and overall qualifications (cash-ins) are graded A to E.

A2 units are graded A to E but we publish the theoretical A* boundary

Overall A level qualifications (cash-ins) are graded A* to E.

If you don't get enough marks to pass with an E, you'll be awarded a U which means 'Unclassified'.

Cash In is usually a choice. It's just used to show your overall grades on a certificate. It is a free service provided by Edexcel but if you decide to cash in after your results are out... you have to pay a fee which is known as "Late Cash-In"
Original post by mushfique97
You’ll be issued a UMS mark and grade for each unit. When you complete the course your school or college will ask us to add your unit UMS scores together to calculate your overall AS or A level grade - this is called ‘cashing in’.

If you don't get enough marks to pass with an E, you'll be awarded a U which means 'Unclassified'.

Cash In is usually a choice. It's just used to show your overall grades on a certificate. It is a free service provided by Edexcel but if you decide to cash in after your results are out... you have to pay a fee which is known as "Late Cash-In"

So do I need to Cash in? I literally still don't get it...
Original post by mushfique97

Candidates cash in whole qualifications not module units. You should be able to keep re-taking units until the exam specification runs out - though most students cash in when they leave school as a private candidate, studying part time, you may have more flexibility but A-level boards are phasing out AS-levels and when end of stage exams are introduced in your subject cashing in options will also cease.
So do I need to Cash in? I literally still don't get it...

If you are doing/repeating one or two Units then don't, If you do all the Units in your AS or A2 exam, I'd say go for it. It'll be easier for Universities to see your grades on a certificate
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Candidates cash in whole qualifications not module units. You should be able to keep re-taking units until the exam specification runs out - though most students cash in when they leave school as a private candidate, studying part time, you may have more flexibility but A-level boards are phasing out AS-levels and when end of stage exams are introduced in your subject cashing in options will also cease.

Yes you are right... I totally forgot to mention that. Thanks anyways...
Reply 6

Do I need to do this?

As my AS biology wasn't cashed in at the time I repeated a unit it said on my results If you had of cashed in you would have received grade A. I put in a late cash in about a year later as I put an A on my UCAS form.
Reply 7

Do I need to do this?

It is just an administrative process to give you an overall grade. If you re-sit a unit then you need to cash-in (the whole qualification) again in order to get a new grade that could include the re-sits.
Original post by cdoyle
As my AS biology wasn't cashed in at the time I repeated a unit it said on my results If you had of cashed in you would have received grade A. I put in a late cash in about a year later as I put an A on my UCAS form.

I'm retaking A2 AND AS biology+chemistry. Applying through clearing/adjustment-so I should Cash in?
Reply 9
I'm retaking A2 AND AS biology+chemistry. Applying through clearing/adjustment-so I should Cash in?

Yes because it'll avoid the wrong grade going through ucas if it goes up.
It's £20 per AS/A2 overall subject. I'm resitting
2 AS subjects and 2 A2 subjects- so that will be £80.
I'm going on your advice here, so I'll pay that much to cash in on my exams?

Thanks x
It's £20 per AS/A2 overall subject. I'm resitting
2 AS subjects and 2 A2 subjects- so that will be £80.
I'm going on your advice here, so I'll pay that much to cash in on my exams?

Thanks x

I don't quite understand the timescales here. Cashing-in was free until 20 September for AQA and OCR and cost about £3.50 for Edexcel. It's now officially not possible for this summer (though it can be done at a cost) but free for next until 21 February.
I'm doing it for next year. I'm doing exams in 2016?!
Original post by Compost
I don't quite understand the timescales here. Cashing-in was free until 20 September for AQA and OCR and cost about £3.50 for Edexcel. It's now officially not possible for this summer (though it can be done at a cost) but free for next until 21 February.

I'm doing exams in 2016? The exam centre said it will charge me £20?! Should I do it privately?
I'm doing exams in 2016? The exam centre said it will charge me £20?! Should I do it privately?

The exam boards do not charge centres for cash-ins done by the normal entry deadline, so £20 seems a complete ripoff as it is 1 click per cash-in if you are also making other entries for that candidate. However, you need to use an exam centre to enter so you may just have to pay - also, this may be their way of applying admin charges as entering a candidate does take time.
Original post by Compost
The exam boards do not charge centres for cash-ins done by the normal entry deadline, so £20 seems a complete ripoff as it is 1 click per cash-in if you are also making other entries for that candidate. However, you need to use an exam centre to enter so you may just have to pay - also, this may be their way of applying admin charges as entering a candidate does take time.

I can't find a way of cashing in myself? Is there a website?
Hey, as a private candidate are you going to apply to university with the help of your school? I wouldn't have a school to do my reference if I become a private candidate. I don't know if I should speak to my first secondary school or my previous college where I had spent a year in. I moved away from the place though because I didn't like the place and the teacher's teaching styles. They were overall polite and quite supportive with students though.
I can't find a way of cashing in myself? Is there a website?

As I said, you have to use an exam centre to enter the cash-in.
Original post by Cherry82
Hey, as a private candidate are you going to apply to university with the help of your school? I wouldn't have a school to do my reference if I become a private candidate. I don't know if I should speak to my first secondary school or my previous college where I had spent a year in. I moved away from the place though because I didn't like the place and the teacher's teaching styles. They were overall polite and quite supportive with students though.

Yes, my school will write me a reference & I'm applying through them.
Your most recent college/school are the ones who should do that
Original post by Compost
As I said, you have to use an exam centre to enter the cash-in.

Thanks, so last question;
So when I'm applying through clearing- it's best to pay £80 and then the Universities won't see my previous grades in AS/A2 and only the ones I achieve in Summer 2016?

Quick Reply

Latest