The Student Room Group

Are people in France really this racist? went to calais for 1 day, here's my story

WARNING: long wall of text incoming (definitely worth the read though).

i have a (white) friend who lives there and he invited me to come for the day since france is only about 3 hours away from london in a car. now, my mum warned me saying that they really hate algerians (im algerian) but i (nicely) told her to shutup because its the 21st century and the **** that happened back in her day probably doesn't.

so i got there and noticed that everyone looked so angry, old and depressed for some reason - it was strange. we went for a drive around the center of calais and got pulled over by some mean looking french policemen with pistols and hand grenades attached to their belt. they stopped us and asked for our papers. we showed them our passports and they let us go. when i asked them why they pulled me over they just said "control".

after that, we see a group of homeless people (children, women, men ...) outside a supermarket and they started talking to us. we learnt that they were actually refugees (they were showing us pictures of babies on fire and loads of other messed up **** that was going on in their country) and they were asking us to buy them water. these guys were legit the nicest people i've ever met. we went in the supermarket and bought them water and food. some pakistani guys from england found us and there and told us about how they got stopped, searched, and interrogated for 4 hours by french police at the border. after those guys left me and my friend agreed that they were talking absolute smack there was no way that happened based off the fact that they were brown lol (or so we thought..).

anyway they left and the supermarket security were giving me and my friend really dirty looks (i assumed it was normal in france to have a permanently angry face - based off the few hours i was there). they got on their phone and 3 police cars come to the scene. they didn't speak to us, they just chilled there and watched us chat to the refugees. we said goodbye and drove off - that's when the police started following us and eventually pulled us over (again). they asked for our passports (again), searched our car and kept asking me if i was a journalist. they found nothing in the car and when i asked them why i was pulled over, they said "control" (again).

it was pretty obvious that we were getting pulled because i was algerian when we thought about the fact that he was living there for 2 years and has never been stopped by police, but we agreed that the ultimate test would be to see if they stop me at the border when i drive back to england. there were 3 cars in front of me trying to get past the border and they went through w/o any problems. guess what happened to me? yep - "control". they searched every inch of my car and myself and gave me the same "control" nonsense and let me through. when i got to the english border i was cracking jokes with the old cockney bordermen about my experience in france and they set me on my way. as i was still going through the border i told one of the english ladies (she was stood with a sign telling people where to go) that she looked beautiful and she smiled, said thank you and i continued driving. i could not believe the massive contrast between english people and the french - the border patrol in france looked like they could put a bullet in your skull at any given second. what is going on lol either british people are the nicest people on earth or the french are just garbage.

i wrote this not to hate on france or the french people but to see if there was maybe an explanation for what happened. i refuse to believe that a country like france can be this openly racist. also what are they feeding their police officers? they're all like 6 foot and built like tanks (even the women). that experience gave me the urge to join ISIS and burn france to the ground lol
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

France is pretty racist compared to a lot of other Western countries but it will obviously look worse if you go to Calais during the middle of a refugee crisis, you wouldn't have experienced this in most parts of the country.
I'm sorry this happened :frown:
I'm half French and have lived there 13 years and yes, a lot of French people are racist, especially against Arabs. I've had people tell me racist stuff while in school.
I'm glad I left there for the moment.
Reply 3
Original post by CheetahCurtis
France is pretty racist compared to a lot of other Western countries but it will obviously look worse if you go to Calais during the middle of a refugee crisis, you wouldn't have experienced this in most parts of the country.
the refugees we spoke to told us that the main 'jungle' camp that your seeing all over the news has been around since 2009

Original post by jedanselemyia
I'm half French and have lived there 13 years and yes, a lot of French people are racist, especially against Arabs. I've had people tell me racist stuff while in school.
not your fault :tongue:

shouldn't it be the other way around tho? france raped algeria for 130 years we should be the ones who are pissed off lol. when did you leave france?
Original post by bulf

i have a (white) friend who lives there and he invited me to come for the day since france is only about 3 hours away from london in a car. now, my mum warned me saying that they really hate algerians (im algerian) but i (nicely) told her to shutup because its the 21st century and the **** that happened back in her day probably doesn't.

so i got there and noticed that everyone looked so angry, old and depressed for some reason - it was strange.

It's not hard to figure out. The Calais migrant crisis has turned that part of France into a ****hole. Imagine the place you live in suddenly turning into a crime-ridden slum filled with people with whom you have absolutely nothing in common. Bitterness is to be expected.

There is also an underlying anti-Algerian and anti-Arab feeling amongst a great number of French people. You need look no further than the popularity of Jean-Marie le Pen to see that. However, it's a subtle hatred and would not have manifested itself in such an obvious way in other parts of France.
Original post by bulf

so i got there and noticed that everyone looked so angry, old and depressed for some reason - it was strange. we went for a drive around the center of calais and got pulled over by some mean looking french policemen with pistols and hand grenades attached to their belt. they stopped us and asked for our papers. we showed them our passports and they let us go. when i asked them why they pulled me over they just said "control".

after that, we see a group of homeless people (children, women, men ...) outside a supermarket and they started talking to us. we learnt that they were actually refugees (they were showing us pictures of babies on fire and loads of other messed up **** that was going on in their country) and they were asking us to buy them water. these guys were legit the nicest people i've ever met. we went in the supermarket and bought them water and food. some pakistani guys from england found us and there and told us about how they got stopped, searched, and interrogated for 4 hours by french police at the border. after those guys left me and my friend agreed that they were talking absolute smack there was no way that happened based off the fact that they were brown lol.

anyway they left and the supermarket security were giving me and my friend really dirty looks (i assumed it was normal in france to have a permanently angry face - based off the few hours i was there). they got on their phone and 3 police cars come to the scene. they didn't speak to us, they just chilled there and watched us chat to the refugees. we said goodbye and drove off - that's when the police started following us and eventually pulled us over (again). they asked for our passports (again), searched our car and kept asking me if i was a journalist. they found nothing in the car and when i asked them why i was pulled over, they said "control" (again).

it was pretty obvious that we were getting pulled because i was algerian when we thought about the fact that he was living there for 2 years and has never been stopped by police, but we agreed that the ultimate test would be to see if they stop me at the border when i drive back to england. there were 3 cars in front of me trying to get past the border and they went through w/o any problems. guess what happened to me? yep - "control". they searched every inch of my car and myself and gave me the same "control" nonsense and let me through. when i got to the english border i was cracking jokes with the old cockney bordermen about my experience in france and they set me on my way. as i was still going through the border i told one of the english ladies (she was stood with a sign telling people where to go) that she looked beautiful and she smiled, said thank you and i continued driving. i could not believe the massive contrast between english people and the french - the border patrol in france looked like they could put a bullet in your skull at any given second. what is going on lol either british people are the nicest people on earth or the french are just garbage.

i wrote this not to hate on france or the french people but to see if there was maybe an explanation for what happened. i refuse to believe that a country like france can be this openly racist. also what are they feeding their police officers? they're all like 6 foot and built like tanks (even the women). that experience gave me the urge to join ISIS and burn france to the ground lol

I'm sorry for your experience, but I believe there's going to be a big difference between attitudes in Calais and attitudes everywhere else in France. Calais is obviously the big point for refugees to try to flee to England, so obviously the police are tightening up.
I'd hope the rest of France isn't like this anyway.
Was that supermarket called Dia, perhaps?
Reply 7
Original post by brendonbackflip
I'm sorry for your experience, but I believe there's going to be a big difference between attitudes in Calais and attitudes everywhere else in France. Calais is obviously the big point for refugees to try to flee to England, so obviously the police are tightening up.
I'd hope the rest of France isn't like this anyway.
yeah i would think so too. but when my mum was telling me about the racism she was talking about france in general. i have cousins in marseille and paris so i'll probably have a chat with them at some point today.

i've never experienced racism or any racial prejudice in england so i assume that people here at least pretend to like you even if they are secretly racist. they don't give a **** in france haha

Original post by yukicookie
Was that supermarket called Dia, perhaps?
i'm not sure. that would be pretty ironic since dia is an arabic name lol. it was probably a carrefour?
Original post by bulf

not your fault :tongue:

shouldn't it be the other way around tho? france raped algeria for 130 years we should be the ones who are pissed off lol. when did you leave france?

I just feel ashamed of the country.

Omg it's so true xD
That "French Algeria" mentality is fading though, it's mostly old miserable white people who think like that
I left this summer and so far I'm relieved
Reply 9
Original post by tengentoppa
It's not hard to figure out. The Calais migrant crisis has turned that part of France into a ****hole. Imagine the place you live in suddenly turning into a crime-ridden slum filled with people with whom you have absolutely nothing in common. Bitterness is to be expected.

There is also an underlying anti-Algerian and anti-Arab feeling amongst a great number of French people. You need look no further than the popularity of Jean-Marie le Pen to see that. However, it's a subtle hatred and would not have manifested itself in such an obvious way in other parts of France.
yeah i agree, the scary thing is though my mum told me that they're openly racist in france (she didn't know i was specifically going to calais) and everything she mentioned ended up being true (e.g. the police will constantly stop me and try to arrest me / **** me up).

it's a bit like the brown asian situation here in england though no? england raped india for 200 years so it makes sense for loads of indians to be here.

france raped the whole of africa for **** knows how long. according to my friend who lives in calais and has been to all the refugee camps, the refugees are mostly of african descent and there are barely any syrians or arabs compared to the black africans.

raping a country then being bitter about them coming to yours, that's against the rules surely lol
(edited 8 years ago)
It is France afterall,never did like it. I can't imagine being an Arab living in France,life would be so tough

its the same in Britain tbh lol
Original post by queen-bee
It is France afterall,never did like it. I can't imagine being an Arab living in France,life would be so tough

My cousins are half Arab like you and the oldest gets openly discriminated by her teacher
My cousins are half Arab like you and the oldest gets openly discriminated by her teacher

and probably nothing was done about it
Original post by ChickenMadness
its the same in Britain tbh lol

In my experience, France is worse in terms of acceptance and tolerance. But again, I wasn't brought up here so I don't know. I lived in a mixed area until I was 4/5 so it was fine.
Did you experience lots of racism here?
and probably nothing was done about it

exactly
they've been trying to do something about it for years ans he's still not fired. He doesn't even call her by her first name since the name is Arab.
Reply 16
Anywhere on the coast is not a great place to be nonwhite in France. Bordeaux is the same, they stop black and Arab people randomly on the street. Once you get inland though it's no problem. Paris is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
In my experience, France is worse in terms of acceptance and tolerance. But again, I wasn't brought up here so I don't know. I lived in a mixed area until I was 4/5 so it was fine.
Did you experience lots of racism here?

From my experiences, the north of England's fine.
Reply 18
asked a woman in a supermarket where the umbrellas were (in french) - she made eye contact with me then just walked the other way. i wanted to plant a ****ing C4 in that garbage supermarket and watch them burn. everyone there was old, angry and some of the ugliest faces i've ever seen.

french people reading this probably won't appreciate that, but honestly that country is poo. it's so good to be back in england. i appreciate little things so much more now - like being greeted with a 'hello' when you walk into a shop and being able to have some nice small talk with the tesco cashier. this **** doesn't happen in france they're all miserable you can tell by the way they look at each other too

thinking about it though this kinda stuff probably happens in northern england too lol. can't imagine being a paki in somwhere like newcastle would be any different. i guess arabs are the paki's of france
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ahem-
From my experiences, the north of England's fine.

Honestly, England is fine. Don't know about Scotland. Wales is a bit weird, my cousin got arrested and they asked if he was white? lol
Any big city in France is fine, especially Paris and Marseille. The rest is problematic.

Latest

Trending

Trending