The Student Room Group

Oxbridge engineering do I stand a chance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm predicted 3A*'s because you need 270 in physics A2 to get an A* anyway so I don't need to retake
Reply 21
Original post by ememoville
GCSE's 9A*'s 3A's
AS AAAB (1 ums off an A in dropped subject)
A2 3A* predictions
Top 3 UMS average (87%) - due to slip ups in 1 or 2 units but high ums in 5/6 maths units and 2/3 physics units

I want to apply to imperial mech eng as well

you know you can always do your Bachelors at a good-but-not-best uni like Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Bristol, Southhampton and all you need is a first to get into a Masters course at Oxbridge..

I'm just letting you know incase it all goes tits-up because by your a-level predictions your definitely smart enough for Oxbridge (and a first) but sometimes even students with triple A* at A-level get rejected from Oxbridge just because they have so flippin many applicants for undergrad programmes. Masters courses are a bit less in-demand and a bit more valuable to your career so maybe keep that in mind
Reply 22
Original post by gijops
you know you can always do your Bachelors at a good-but-not-best uni like Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Bristol, Southhampton and all you need is a first to get into a Masters course at Oxbridge..

I'm just letting you know incase it all goes tits-up because by your a-level predictions your definitely smart enough for Oxbridge (and a first) but sometimes even students with triple A* at A-level get rejected from Oxbridge just because they have so flippin many applicants for undergrad programmes. Masters courses are a bit less in-demand and a bit more valuable to your career so maybe keep that in mind

There's literally no point doing bachelors engineering though and it's hard to find just an Masters after bachelors for engineering as most unis that accredit you will do 4 years but thank you for the response I know it's not the be all end all
Reply 23
Original post by jneill
What are your exact UMS per module - especially for Maths/FM? Cambridge can see if you have 1 or 2 low modules and *may* not be too concerned.

One approach could be to apply to a Cambridge college that includes STEP for Engineering offers. This makes it more likely you will get an offer, but don't understimate the difficulty of getting a good mark in STEP. Christ's asks for a 1 in STEP I.

As others have said you would have to do PAT for Oxford - but that's pre-interview. Whereas STEP is at the end of Year 13.

Agh I don't know what to dog I got AAABC - C in critical thinking and B in chemistry 1 ums of an A and am predicted 3A*'s I'm hoping to apply for imperial, Oxford and Durham - do you think that would be good enough for imperial and Durham to at least get an interview? And Oxford I'd have to do very Well in the PAT test but will they be okay with those grades and a good reference?
Reply 24
Agh I don't know what to dog I got AAABC - C in critical thinking and B in chemistry 1 ums of an A and am predicted 3A*'s I'm hoping to apply for imperial, Oxford and Durham - do you think that would be good enough for imperial and Durham to at least get an interview? And Oxford I'd have to do very Well in the PAT test but will they be okay with those grades and a good reference?

Possibly.
Reply 25
Original post by jneill
Possibly.

That doesn't sound to positive - I didn't want to have to put down my critical thinking but it looks like I have to
Reply 26
That doesn't sound to positive - I didn't want to have to put down my critical thinking but it looks like I have to

Critical Thinking (and General Studies) are never included in offers by Oxbridge or Imperial or Durham (or any RG?)
Reply 27
Yeah its not considered so they'll really see AAAB which should be fine, I think if I work really hard I have a good chance. Im motivated to show them that Ill be good for their course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending