The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bulf
yeah i agree, the scary thing is though my mum told me that they're openly racist in france (she didn't know i was specifically going to calais) and everything she mentioned ended up being true (e.g. the police will constantly stop me and try to arrest me / **** me up).

it's a bit like the brown asian situation here in england though no? england raped india for 200 years so it makes sense for loads of indians to be here.

france raped the whole of africa for **** knows how long. according to my friend who lives in calais and has been to all the refugee camps, the refugees are mostly of african descent and there are barely any syrians or arabs compared to the black africans.

raping a country then being bitter about them coming to yours, that's against the rules surely lol

Doesn't work like that. Colonialism was a long time ago, and the migrants in Calais are there illegally. Of course they're not going to be welcomed with open arms.
Original post by jedanselemyia
In my experience, France is worse in terms of acceptance and tolerance. But again, I wasn't brought up here so I don't know. I lived in a mixed area until I was 4/5 so it was fine.
Did you experience lots of racism here?

Do you live in London? That's like a separate entity to the UK because it's so multicultural. Loads of racism still in every other part of the country.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Do you live in London? That's like a separate entity to the UK because it's so multicultural. Loads of racism still in every other part of the country.

No, Birmingham and in pretty multicultural areas of the city so it must be the same.
I'm not surprised tbh :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by tengentoppa
Doesn't work like that. Colonialism was a long time ago, and the migrants in Calais are there illegally. Of course they're not going to be welcomed with open arms.
i was there legally. was pretty clear that from the clothes i was wearing and car i was driving i'm no illegal immigrant so what's going on there? obviously i was treated this way because i'm algerian. i'm not bitching about it, just surprised that they made it so obvious lol. i know when i'm not wanted and tbh i'll probably never want to go back to france myself.

it was the way they were looking at each other too. it really seemed like the french people didn't like anyone, not even their own kind lol. they're all just naturally pissed off
Original post by bulf
asked a woman in a supermarket where the umbrellas were (in french) - she made eye contact with me then just walked the other way. i wanted to plant a ****ing C4 in that garbage supermarket and watch them burn. everyone there was old, angry and some of the ugliest faces i've ever seen.

french people reading this probably won't appreciate that, but honestly that country is poo. it's so good to be back in england. i appreciate little things so much more now - like being greeted with a 'hello' when you walk into a shop and being able to have some nice small talk with the tesco cashier. this **** doesn't happen in france they're all miserable you can tell by the way they look at each other too

thinking about it though this kinda stuff probably happens in northern england too lol. can't imagine being a paki in somwhere like newcastle would be any different. i guess arabs are the paki's of france

There's nothing wrong with Newcastle fam. I'm sick of us being treated like hillbilly scum we're actually very nice under the fake tan and terrible accent.
Illegal migrants have turned Calais and the surrounding area into an absolute dump. It's hardly surprising someone with brown skin driving around, randomly buying food for people, would be treated with a degree of suspicion.

Oh, and the police would not have hand grenades in their belts, lol.
Reply 26
Original post by Duncan2012
Illegal migrants have turned Calais and the surrounding area into an absolute dump. It's hardly surprising someone with brown skin driving around, randomly buying food for people, would be treated with a degree of suspicion.

Oh, and the police would not have hand grenades in their belts, lol.

Driving around and buying food for people is suspicious..hmm
France is a dangerous place now not surprised they are on high alert.

Some what racism some what the situation it finds itself in. France overseas policies and ghettos are to blame.
Monoculture at work
Original post by Ahem-
Driving around and buying food for people is suspicious..hmm

Yes. Ever bought something for someone who came up to you outside a supermarket? Me neither.
Reply 30
Original post by Duncan2012
Yes. Ever bought something for someone who came up to you outside a supermarket? Me neither.
hey i've given big issue guys outside my local tesco little chocolates / money here and there (so have many others). what crime am i under suspicion for? they checked my number plates, passport and searched my car (clearly looking for anything to pick me up on - aka no criminal suspicion).

what about when i got my car stopped for just driving down the street, before seeing these refugee guys? and the time i simply wanted to cross the border to get to england?

and this? ^

edit: also i'm not brown lol, kinda white. it's obvious that i'm north african though
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
I just feel ashamed of the country.

Omg it's so true xD
That "French Algeria" mentality is fading though, it's mostly old miserable white people who think like that
I left this summer and so far I'm relieved

I don't think you should feel ashamed at all. You genuinely sound like a nice friendly person. Glad to know there are people like you out there :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Bill_Gates
France is a dangerous place now not surprised they are on high alert.

Some what racism some what the situation it finds itself in. France overseas policies and ghettos are to blame.

France is a dangerous place? It's hardly Afghanistan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by justag
France is a dangerous place? It's hardly Afghanistan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol it would be like england raping afghanistan into oblivion then hating afghans for it. that's the equivalent of the france-algeria situation
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm French Algerian and yeah I went to France this year and I seriously felt like an alien. I wear a headscarf and people my age can't wear them in schools there. Wherever I went I got dirty looks from old white people lol. They all seem to be old and white and always look grumpy. The men who drive their cars past actually stuck their head out of the window just to look at me O.o

One woman from her car gave me the dirtiest look ever it frightened me, she looked like she was going to come out of her car and slap me.

On the last days I just ignored it and grinned at whoever gave me a dirty look because I can't judge what's going in their heads sometimes. Some of them are actually really nice when I thought the complete opposite.

Also me example everyone tells me that I look like I want to kill someone and look so angry but honestly I'm a big softy and thought I had a worried/gentle/warm smile lol...gotta work on my facial expression now.

Don't make the people's hostility ruin your experience in France, they will only stare, that's all. Well for the police that's a different story haha.
Reply 35
Original post by bulf
lol it would be like england raping afghanistan/iraq into oblivion then hating afghans/iraqis for it. that's the equivalent of the france-algeria situation

The France-Algeria situation is terrible. This will hopefully die out once every French person over about 45 is gone. Younger Frenchies are less racist generally.

Still doesn't make France dangerous lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think France is racist I think the French people are fed up of mass immigration as several other people are...hence the rise of Far Rise and Nationalist parties in Europe.

I've spoken to several people in multiple countries and not one of them have said they are against Immigration but it has to be in controlled numbers that countries can deal with , not unlimited mass migration that is a problem.
Reply 37
Original post by geniequeen48
I'm French Algerian and yeah I went to France this year and I seriously felt like an alien. I wear a headscarf and people my age can't wear them in schools there. Wherever I went I got dirty looks from old white people lol. They all seem to be old and white and always look grumpy. The men who drive their cars past actually stuck their head out of the window just to look at me O.o

One woman from her car gave me the dirtiest look ever it frightened me, she looked like she was going to come out of her car and slap me.

On the last days I just ignored it and grinned at whoever gave me a dirty look because I can't judge what's going in their heads sometimes. Some of them are actually really nice when I thought the complete opposite.

Also me example everyone tells me that I look like I want to kill someone and look so angry but honestly I'm a big softy and thought I had a worried/gentle/warm smile lol...gotta work on my facial expression now.

Don't make the people's hostility ruin your experience in France, they will only stare, that's all. Well for the police that's a different story haha.
i was expecting people here to like hold me in their arms and assure me that it's all OK (like a baby) but apparently france is as bad as i saw yesterday haha. i know what looks you're talking about.. they look at your like you just slaughtered their mother. so the french are pissed off and miserable 24/7 not just in calais? the refugees told me they had to dig holes in the ground to take a dump because there weren't allowed in shops, restaurants or public toilets (police would beat the **** out of them apparently) - BUT they still seemed much happier than the french.

ahh they really need to lighten up. we gave them zidane that should be enough entertainment for a lifetime
Original post by AzimH
I don't think you should feel ashamed at all. You genuinely sound like a nice friendly person. Glad to know there are people like you out there :smile:

And yet I do! :frown: France is a bit of a lost cause, I just hope things get better

Aww, thank you, that's a lovely thing to say :h: Thank you very much x
Reply 39
And yet I do! :frown: France is a bit of a lost cause, I just hope things get better

Aww, thank you, that's a lovely thing to say :h: Thank you very much x

No worries! Hope you have a great day :biggrin:

Latest