The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jedanselemyia
exactly
they've been trying to do something about it for years ans he's still not fired. He doesn't even call her by her first name since the name is Arab.

Whilst I dont think racism should be overly excused its a sign that many are frustrated with immigration in europe
Original post by bulf
i was expecting people here to like hold me in their arms and assure me that it's all OK (like a baby) but apparently france is as bad as i saw yesterday haha. i know what looks you're talking about.. they look at your like you just slaughtered their mother. so the french are pissed off and miserable 24/7 not just in calais? the refugees told me they had to dig holes in the ground to take a dump because there weren't allowed in shops, restaurants or public toilets (police would beat the **** out of them apparently) - BUT they still seemed much happier than the french.

ahh they really need to lighten up. we gave them zidane that should be enough entertainment for a lifetime

Lool sorry xD Yeah and Benzema xD
Reply 42
I've never been to France, but my mum said that the French were incredibly arrogant during her visit to Paris. She is white, by the way.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Whilst I dont think racism should be overly excused its a sign that many are frustrated with immigration in europe

Not a ****ing excuse, I'm sorry.
What's the correlation with French Arabs who've been there since the 1950s so 2/3 generations and immigration? They're not immigrants, the problem is people who can't see beyond the appearance and names of others. France is a racist country and that's that :\
france is v racist
France has twice the proportion of Muslims as the UK and a far less competitive Labour market. We shouldn't be shocked that this would dim attitudes.

The semi good news for the people that love non-EU immigration and tolerance is that while polls do indicate Le Pen wins the first round, they also indicate that Sarkozy would comfortably crush both Hollande and Le Pen in the run-off.
Original post by bulf

x

i wrote this not to hate on france or the french people but to see if there was maybe an explanation for what happened. i refuse to believe that a country like france can be this openly racist. also what are they feeding their police officers? they're all like 6 foot and built like tanks (even the women). that experience gave me the urge to join ISIS and burn france to the ground lol

The last part, even as a joke....words cannot explain.

France is a racist country. Look at the support the Front Nationale have. Look at Charlie Hebdo, the other beheadings/terrorist attacks, Calais, etc etc. France has seen what the UK has in terms of problems and then much more.

I don't think it fair to judge all Muslims due to a minority acting. I mean I don't judge all Christians by the actions of the KKK. I think it is important to remember that. In all the media frenzy that occurs-these people do not represent most Muslims. However, I don't blame people for racism. They are scared. They feel threatened. Because of that they act irrationally.

I'm not Muslim but if someone were to say something racist to me I would be upset, yes. But I would not hate that person. They aren't a bad person for feeling threatened, for feeling scared; Paranoid yes, but difficult times tend to bring out the worst in people.

My point? That while France is racist, yes, and while I think it is wrong, these people are not bad people in my view. Good people do bad things. Sure, you will see hardcore supporters of the BNP in the UK for example, but most who vote for them I imagine aren't actually bad people just scared or feeling like they are being attacked or marginalised. Their views may change in the future.

I may of course be completely idealistic and a nutter, depends on your perspective.
Original post by bulf
WARNING: long wall of text incoming (definitely worth the read though).

i have a (white) friend who lives there and he invited me to come for the day since france is only about 3 hours away from london in a car. now, my mum warned me saying that they really hate algerians (im algerian) but i (nicely) told her to shutup because its the 21st century and the **** that happened back in her day probably doesn't.

so i got there and noticed that everyone looked so angry, old and depressed for some reason - it was strange. we went for a drive around the center of calais and got pulled over by some mean looking french policemen with pistols and hand grenades attached to their belt. they stopped us and asked for our papers. we showed them our passports and they let us go. when i asked them why they pulled me over they just said "control".

after that, we see a group of homeless people (children, women, men ...) outside a supermarket and they started talking to us. we learnt that they were actually refugees (they were showing us pictures of babies on fire and loads of other messed up **** that was going on in their country) and they were asking us to buy them water. these guys were legit the nicest people i've ever met. we went in the supermarket and bought them water and food. some pakistani guys from england found us and there and told us about how they got stopped, searched, and interrogated for 4 hours by french police at the border. after those guys left me and my friend agreed that they were talking absolute smack there was no way that happened based off the fact that they were brown lol (or so we thought..).

anyway they left and the supermarket security were giving me and my friend really dirty looks (i assumed it was normal in france to have a permanently angry face - based off the few hours i was there). they got on their phone and 3 police cars come to the scene. they didn't speak to us, they just chilled there and watched us chat to the refugees. we said goodbye and drove off - that's when the police started following us and eventually pulled us over (again). they asked for our passports (again), searched our car and kept asking me if i was a journalist. they found nothing in the car and when i asked them why i was pulled over, they said "control" (again).

it was pretty obvious that we were getting pulled because i was algerian when we thought about the fact that he was living there for 2 years and has never been stopped by police, but we agreed that the ultimate test would be to see if they stop me at the border when i drive back to england. there were 3 cars in front of me trying to get past the border and they went through w/o any problems. guess what happened to me? yep - "control". they searched every inch of my car and myself and gave me the same "control" nonsense and let me through. when i got to the english border i was cracking jokes with the old cockney bordermen about my experience in france and they set me on my way. as i was still going through the border i told one of the english ladies (she was stood with a sign telling people where to go) that she looked beautiful and she smiled, said thank you and i continued driving. i could not believe the massive contrast between english people and the french - the border patrol in france looked like they could put a bullet in your skull at any given second. what is going on lol either british people are the nicest people on earth or the french are just garbage.

i wrote this not to hate on france or the french people but to see if there was maybe an explanation for what happened. i refuse to believe that a country like france can be this openly racist. also what are they feeding their police officers? they're all like 6 foot and built like tanks (even the women). that experience gave me the urge to join ISIS and burn france to the ground lol

With the amount of illegal immigrants in France and the havoc they are causing like in Calais with braking into vehicles, holding down the euro tunnel and just being a complete nuisance you can't blame people for being cautious. Imagine for them when 99% of foreign people they meet are illegals trying to cross a border, they probably haven't met an actual person who is a citizen with the amount of people flooding in illegally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Gears265
With the amount of illegal immigrants in France and the havoc they are causing like in Calais with braking into vehicles, holding down the euro tunnel and just being a complete nuisance you can't blame people for being cautious. Imagine for them when 99% of foreign people they meet are illegals trying to cross a border, they probably haven't met an actual person who is a citizen with the amount of people flooding in illegally.

Original post by Foo.mp3
Nice, measured, response then! :lolwut:Pretty sure people in the Muslim world get fed up every time Westerners start turning up unannounced in their country; I wouldn't excuse their hostile attitude but put yourself in the shoes of the French authorities in a place like Calais.. :rolleyes:P.S. Yes, there are more old school/racist right wingers in European countries like France than there are over here. We're a remarkably tolerant nation, believe it or not, and nationalism is only ever just below the surface on the continent

yeah but the french distinctly know what an algerian looks like, and they obviously know that algerians live in france legally. not only this, i was driving a chrysler and wearing good clothes so it was obvious i'm not an illegal immigrant. what these illegals are going through is scary though, you'll see them walking around bare-footed and digging holes with their bare hands to **** in.

it probably an algerian thing more than a refugee thing. they absolutely raped my country, tortured my grandad to death and i'm still walking around trying to smile at people and act friendly lol. my closest friends in university were french and were more-than-decent human beings so this whole calais experience has been a huge surprise

in this day and age there really shouldn't be beef between algeria and france, but if there has to be it should be us that are walking around giving them the evils and not vice versa
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bulf
yeah but the french distinctly know what an algerian looks like, and they also know that algerians live in france legally. not only this, i was driving a chrysler and wearing good clothes so it was obvious i'm not an illegal immigrant. what these illegals are going through is scary though, you'll see them walking around bare-footed and digging holes with their bare hands to **** in.

it probably an algerian thing more than a refugee thing. i don't know why i have to be the one feeling sorry for them and not vice versa. they absolutely raped my country, tortured my grandad to death and i'm still walking around trying to smile at people and act friendly lol. my closest friends in university were french and were more-than-decent human beings so this whole calais experience has been a huge surprise

in this day and age there shouldn't be beef between algeria and france, but if anything we should be the ones walking around giving them the evils

Negative perceptions of immigration will only grow.

The thing with migration is you can't just say to people "accept and get use to it", you need to phase it in, don't add masses of people in one go to an area, introduce controlled numbers, ensure they have skills, no criminal record and speak the language before hand. The problem is this is not the case. People are claiming citizenship without past documentation and coming in the masses with little intention to integrate.

I for example support UKIP because want I immigration to work for everyone. Immigration can work if done properly however it has not been done properly. We could all live more accepting of one another If communities accepted migration at their own pace, not at the pace of governments and migrants coming illegally. You can not force people, immigrant or local to integrate which is why we have so much segregation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Negative perceptions of immigration will only grow.

The thing with migration is you can't just say to people "accept and get use to it", you need to phase it in, don't add masses of people in one go to an area, introduce controlled numbers, ensure they have skills, no criminal record and speak the language before hand. The problem is this is not the case. People are claiming citizenship without past documentation and coming in the masses with little intention to integrate.

I for example support UKIP because want I immigration to work for everyone. Immigration can work if done properly however it has not been done properly. We could all live more accepting of one another If communities accepted migration at their own pace, not at the pace of governments and migrants coming illegally. You can not force people, immigrant or local to integrate which is why we have so much segregation.
i see where you're coming from but the algeria-france situation is different. algeria was part of france during the rape and was called 'french algeria'.

lol arent UKIP a racist party? why would you want england to end up like france? there is no immigration problem here. outside of london basically everyone is white
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bulf
i see where you're coming from but the algeria-france situation is different. algeria was part of france during the rape and was called 'french algeria'.

lol arent UKIP a racist party? why would you want england to end up like france? there is no immigration problem here. outside of london basically everyone is white

The media call UKIP racist because they want to control immigration like I said. Yet for some reason all my immigrant friends understand why I support them yet white English people I know call me racist. Most days 99% of the time I have feelings of hatred towards other English people yet apparently I am racist scum. At university 99% of my friends are from abroad but apparently I am racist filth. UKIP has a minority number of racists which have been slowly culled and expelled from the party. UKIP grew too quickly. It was not controlled growth and unfortunately racists from BNP infiltrated it. I want to clear the party of these ******** once and for all.
Not a ****ing excuse, I'm sorry.
What's the correlation with French Arabs who've been there since the 1950s so 2/3 generations and immigration? They're not immigrants, the problem is people who can't see beyond the appearance and names of others. France is a racist country and that's that :\

it annoys people that the land once conquered by mainly their values is now being influenced more and more by more international values.

and its not stopping. I can understand that. the frustration
Reply 53
The media call UKIP racist because they want to control immigration like I said. Yet for some reason all my immigrant friends understand why I support them yet white English people I know call me racist. Most days 99% of the time I have feelings of hatred towards other English people yet apparently I am racist scum. At university 99% of my friends are from abroad but apparently I am racist filth. UKIP has a minority number of racists which have been slowly culled and expelled from the party. UKIP grew too quickly. It was not controlled growth and unfortunately racists from BNP infiltrated it. I want to clear the party of these ******** once and for all.
so you know that the guys at the top are BNP racists and you still support them? struggling to wrap my head around your logic. i know you're not racist but i think you're confused
(edited 8 years ago)
Honestly, England is fine. Don't know about Scotland. Wales is a bit weird, my cousin got arrested and they asked if he was white? lol
Any big city in France is fine, especially Paris and Marseille. The rest is problematic.

Lmao ?! If that happened it'd probably be in the valleys somewhere... Pas ici, Cardiff.

When I was younger there was some racism. Car got smashed in, people shouting names at us, but it's changed so much now it's weird,a welcome change.

High school wise no racism at all, although that's probably because whites were a minority there haha
Original post by trustmeimlying1
it annoys people that the land once conquered by mainly their values is now being influenced more and more by more international values.

and its not stopping. I can understand that. the frustration

yeah "values", as if their "values" weren't imposed on other people too

it's not an invasion, people need to chill. The number of people coming in is ridiculous compared to the overall population.

There's no point discussing this issue anyway :\
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lmao ?! If that happened it'd probably be in the valleys somewhere... Pas ici, Cardiff.

When I was younger there was some racism. Car got smashed in, people shouting names at us, but it's changed so much now it's weird,a welcome change.

High school wise no racism at all, although that's probably because whites were a minority there haha

Yeah, that definitely happened in the valleys hahaha

Ah that's great to hear, things are improving, slowly, but improving :smile:

Looool xD I never knew what that felt like, always one of the only mixed/black kid in school
Original post by bulf
so you know that the guys at the top are BNP racists and you still support them? struggling to wrap my head around your logic. i know you're not racist but i think you're confused

I never said the guys at the top were racist lol. There were some smaller members who were racist but the party kicked them out. So no I don't think the main people are racist, I never said that. There is a few idiots in the party like there are in Labour, the Tories and the SNP.
Reply 58
I never said the guys at the top were racist lol. There were some smaller members who were racist but the party kicked them out. So no I don't think the main people are racist, I never said that. There is a few idiots in the party like there are in Labour, the Tories and the SNP.
i know but i was under that impression, pretty sure i saw some UKIP racism compilation video on youtube at some point in my life and they all seemed like they were the main faces of UKIP. that nigel farage guy definitely came across as a racist french weasel
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bulf
i know but i was under that impression, pretty sure i saw some UKIP racism compilation video on youtube at some point in my life and they all seemed like they were the main faces of UKIP. that nigel farage guy definitely came across as a racist french weasel

Ah ok yep let a YouTube video and some corporate papers formulate your opinion of a man and party. You complain that people stereotype Algerians in France and then you stereotype a whole party. Make sense :/