The Student Room Group

I want a slightly less attractive guy

I don't understand. I've never been attracted to a conventionally attractive guy. For marriage, i would like someone who's just average on the scale of attractiveness but who i have an amazing mental and emotional connection with. Is this normal? Girls and guys, do you ever feel this way or?

Scroll to see replies

As a guy,

I do not have an attraction to any other guys.
If what you mean is, you don't want what everyone else seems to want in terms of attractiveness, then that's fine. You're entitled to like whoever you like. Normal.
I literally feel the same way, so weird. But sometimes I feel my really attractive is everyone else's 'average'.
Reply 4
Original post by Toby Riotshield
As a guy,

I do not have an attraction to any other guys.

I knew someone would say this :tongue: I meant as in do you feel like this with the opposite sex?
Reply 5
Original post by EllainKahlo
If what you mean is, you don't want what everyone else seems to want in terms of attractiveness, then that's fine. You're entitled to like whoever you like. Normal.

Yes, something like that. :smile: What does it say about me though? That i'm insecure for wanting someone only i find attractive?
Well hello there.......... slightly less attractive guy here waiting for you.

Lol :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I literally feel the same way, so weird. But sometimes I feel my really attractive is everyone else's 'average'.

Damn, someone else who feels the same :five: Give me an example of a celeb who's average but you reaallly find attractive?
Original post by Anonymous
I knew someone would say this :tongue: I meant as in do you feel like this with the opposite sex?

Well personally, I'd love a redhead who's slim etc etc

But I've never found myself that bothered about the looks, as long as I can get on with them.

I'm not particularly attractive myself - huge m'fin nose, glasses, bad beard (I'm 16) - so I'm just holding out for all the girls that don't want six-packs and huge arms.
Yes, something like that. :smile: What does it say about me though? That i'm insecure for wanting someone only i find attractive?

Of course not.

You shouldn't pick a partner that everyone else approves of but you're not smitten with just to please, because it won't last. It's important they tick all of the important boxes for you, and if having a six-pack and huge biceps doesn't tickle your fancy, for example, then you shouldn't force it.

No one should expect you to settle for less than what you want.
Original post by Toby Riotshield
Well personally, I'd love a redhead who's slim etc etc

But I've never found myself that bothered about the looks, as long as I can get on with them.

I'm not particularly attractive myself - huge m'fin nose, glasses, bad beard (I'm 16) - so I'm just holding out for all the girls that don't want six-packs and huge arms.

I'm sure you're fine. You don't sound bad from your description. And you're only 16. Plenty of time to morph into your looks :biggrin:
Maybe you feel like someone more attractive would want to cheat on you for someone else?

Or things don't tend to come in perfect packages and it can be hard to find someone who's completely stunning and you have a superb connection with them.
It's pretty common, you want someone who's less attractive than you to boost your own ego and be the more attractive one in the relationship.

Reason being so he won't cheat and you can feel more secure about your own level of attractiveness. It's pretty shallow
Damn, someone else who feels the same :five: Give me an example of a celeb who's average but you reaallly find attractive?

Hmmmmmmmm..... let me think.

Some might say Prince William (in his uni days) was average, I think he was stunning! :colondollar:

Umm..... I don't know I'm so attracted to dirty blond hair and blue eyes :colondollar: not always but most of the time! :biggrin:

I will think of more people if I can ahaaha :biggrin:
Original post by EllainKahlo
Of course not.

You shouldn't pick a partner that everyone else approves of but you're not smitten with just to please, because it won't last. It's important they tick all of the important boxes for you, and if having a six-pack and huge biceps doesn't tickle your fancy, for example, then you shouldn't force it.

No one should expect you to settle for less than what you want.

Sound piece of advice. I don't think i'm great looking in terms of looks and it just saddens me that quite a lot of guys want someone exceptionally beautiful whereas here i am with such low standards i guess.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
It's pretty common, you want someone who's less attractive than you to boost your own ego and be the more attractive one in the relationship.

Reason being so he won't cheat and you can feel more secure about your own level of attractiveness. It's pretty shallow

orrrrr "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ! :rolleyes:
The thread title doesn't seem to correspond with what you've written in the OP?

I agree completely with what you've said in the OP, but I don't actively discriminate against those more attractive than me!
The thing is, attractiveness is subjective, so what you think is average could be good looking to someone else.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

I think it's less about him cheating on me, more about how jealous i'd be because of all the attention he gets from girls.

How do you suggest i get over this?

Original post by SeanFM
Maybe you feel like someone more attractive would want to cheat on you for someone else?

Or things don't tend to come in perfect packages and it can be hard to find someone who's completely stunning and you have a superb connection with them.
Honestly OP I have seen guys on the street that literally fit my description of beautiful, it's normal to feel that way,I don't think it's an insecurity thing at all, I rarely find exceptionally attractive guys attractive myself. I don't know there is something so beautiful about a person who 'hasn't tried'. Me and my friend were talking about this once, standing at the tube, about how we could instantly point out a guy who has put in so much effort to look attractive and someone who hasn't that we find really attractive. The latter always wins!:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending