The Student Room Group

"Sexy Plus Size Model Stuns on Catwalk" How is this acceptable?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/size-16-model-ashley-graham-6451232

Why is our fashion industry one of extremes?

Firstly, that model is overweight and not even a little bit, she's largely overweight. Why is it acceptable to promote such an unhealthy size? Yes, she is facially gorgeous, she'd probably have a fantastic figure if she was a healthy weight. Yet she chose, and others chose, to use her body as a tool for "body confidence".

When it's so false.
Firstly, bodies that size should not promoted, because she is overweight. And obesity is one of our biggest epidemics.
And secondly, because it makes absolutely no difference. Girls know that she is a "plus size" model. Girls don't aspire to be "plus size", they aspire to be normal.

But we have no normal. In fashion it's mostly underweight models, with a select few plus size models for political correctness.

While she is celebrated for being plus size. Models such as this http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/25/swedish-model-blasts-fashion-industry-as-absurd-for-saying-shes-too-big-for-bookings-5359951/ are criticised by the industry for being too big. When in fact she has a healthy, slim figure.

How can we have it so wrong? The fashion industry should ban plus size models, as well as banning dangerously underweight models. Instead, the industry should include a variety of healthy sizes ranging from 6-14. Only then, will they preach body confidence. Because right now, it's so hypocritcal, and is only open to those too underweight, and too overweight.

Models like this are not promoting body confidence, it is merely a political tool for the fashion industry to show how 'accepting' they are, when for the rest of the time, they push girls to starve themselves.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can see I've created a bit of a **** storm.

it isnt its one of idiocy
It's not a black and white issue where there's an easy solution that everyone can agree upon. Banning people you deem unhealthy, just by looking at them, does not promote body confidence.
Ok i joined like 5 minutes ago so I don't really know what I'm doing but anyway:

saying that people of a bigger size should be banned from the fashion industry is absolutely disgusting and so disrespectful and rude.

saying that it is wrong of the media to promote such an 'un-healthy size' is really stupid?? women and girls that are bigger or do not meet society's expectations of perfect or whatever are never praised or told their bodies are beautiful so having 'plus-size' models on catwalks and in the media and fashion industry is probably a real confidence booster for some people. And did you know that thin people / people that look like healthy can actually be rotting from the inside, for example a slim person could eat loads of junk food everyday but have a fast metabolism. meanwhile their teeth are decaying and their arteries becoming clogged (I'm not good at science so I don't know if it's the arteries that get clogged with fat or something but whatever).

saying that girls aspire to be 'normal' is really hurtful and your post is making me really angry. girls aspire to be whatever they want??? yes, girls probably don't force themselves to put on weight to look like a 'plus size model' but saying that any other body type apart from slim or whatever society deems as 'normal' is just???? its just stupid and rude and it was really ignorant of you to post this. girls can aspire to be whatever they want so do NOT tell us what we do and don't aspire to be. is it okay then for the girls who throw up their dinner and starve themselves to aspire to be the stick thin models the media is constantly shoving down our throats?
Original post by EllainKahlo
It's not a black and white issue where there's an easy solution that everyone can agree upon. Banning people you deem unhealthy, just by looking at them, does not promote body confidence.

But demanding Topshop use size 14 mannequins because people's feelings are hurt is helpful?

No matter which way you spin it, this is just yet another appeasement for a societal wrong, largely orientated around the religion of ensuring women's feelings aren't being hurt. Fat people shouldn't be encouraged, they should lose weight. Telling them 'they're still beautiful' is so utterly infantile and pathetic it makes me want to vomit.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
But demanding Topshop use size 14 mannequins because people's feelings are hurt is helpful?

No matter which way you spin it, this is just yet another appeasement for a societal wrong, largely orientated around the religion of ensuring women's feelings aren't being hurt. Fat people shouldn't be encouraged, they should lose weight. Telling them 'they're still beautiful' is so utterly infantile and pathetic it makes me want to vomit.

I never said it was but demonising people for their weight isn't helpful either.

People shouldn't have to spend their entire lives feeling as though, if I'm not between "x and y" I'm not acceptable and I shouldn't be allowed to leave the house or that would be 'promoting my lifestyle/weight." to others.

The issue is not that simple and yes, people's feelings do matter even when an epidemic is going on.
the fashion industry would be crazy to ignore fat women... there are millions of them with £££ to spend on big clothes.
Original post by cristinaprados

saying that it is wrong of the media to promote such an 'un-healthy size' is really stupid?? women and girls that are bigger or do not meet society's expectations of perfect or whatever are never praised or told their bodies are beautiful so having 'plus-size' models on catwalks and in the media and fashion industry is probably a real confidence booster for some people. And did you know that thin people / people that look like healthy can actually be rotting from the inside, for example a slim person could eat loads of junk food everyday but have a fast metabolism. meanwhile their teeth are decaying and their arteries becoming clogged (I'm not good at science so I don't know if it's the arteries that get clogged with fat or something but whatever).

Wow, what a lot of...feelings and no logic.

No-one cares if you're fat, just don't go around telling other people it's OK to be fat because you lack self esteem in your appearance.

It has nothing to do with societal expectations, I couldn't care if you choose to increase your risk of contracting diabetes, or heart disease, that's your choice. Just don't give other girls the impression it's acceptable because you can't stand depriving yourself of a chick flick accompanied by a tub of Ben and Jerry's.
I never said it was but demonising people for their weight isn't helpful either.

People shouldn't have to spend their entire lives feeling as though, if I'm not between "x and y" I'm not acceptable and I shouldn't be allowed to leave the house or that would be 'promoting my lifestyle/weight." to others.

The issue is not that simple and yes, people's feelings do matter even when an epidemic is going on.

Your feelings are entirely irrelevant in the face of telling young girls heart disease and diabetes is an acceptable life choice.

If shaming them is the way to alter their behaviour, then so be it - I'll be damned if I have to pay for their treatment because they can't stand the thought they aren't entitled to stuff their face full of sugar.
Your feelings are entirely irrelevant in the face of telling young girls heart disease and diabetes is an acceptable life choice.

If shaming them is the way to alter their behaviour, then so be it - I'll be damned if I have to pay for their treatment because they can't stand the thought they aren't entitled to stuff their face full of sugar.

And that's your right, but I have no interest in discussing this with you further.
And that's your right, but I have no interest in discussing this with you further.

Of course you don't because in your world feelings are the new logic and logic is the new blasphemy.
Of course you don't because in your world feelings are the new logic and logic is the new blasphemy.

I can't have a constructive argument with someone who is being emotional and hostile.
I can't have a constructive argument with someone who is being emotional and hostile.

I think you'll find you're the one who started talking about your feelings, not me.

What's hostile about saying we shouldn't teach girls that being obese is socially acceptable? This entire thing orientates around your feelings, and you're quite happy to project an unhealthy life standard onto the rest of the population just so it gives you a free pass to be as unhealthy as you like (and make me pay for it).

No thanks. As I said, your feelings are irrelevant, the personal isn't political and this is political (largely because I have to pay for your desire to promote obesity as an acceptable life choice).
i think that they shouldn't have plus size models or underweight models because they both promote being unhealthy, however there are people who are 'big' and healthy as well as 'skinny' and healthy. I think that they should have models who are average but they should still sell plus size clothes as it wouldn't be right. People need to stop skinny and fat shaming people.
There's a difference between being overweight and being obese, and size 16 is definitely not the latter.

There's nothing wrong with having a bit of fat so long as it's not having an adverse effect on your health, so I don't see why the fashion industry should sink to your level of childish condemnation and ostracisation of people who have a dress size that's anything other than 8-10.
Original post by booksandcats
i think that they shouldn't have plus size models or underweight models because they both promote being unhealthy, however there are people who are 'big' and healthy as well as 'skinny' and healthy. I think that they should have models who are average but they should still sell plus size clothes as it wouldn't be right. People need to stop skinny and fat shaming people.

Why? People should be ashamed of being fat. It's not an acceptable life choice, largely because I have to pay for it and it reduces life expectancy or increases susceptibility to a wide range of health conditions.

Are feelings now prioritised ahead of health as well as logic?
I think you'll find you're the one who started talking about your feelings, not me.

What's hostile about saying we shouldn't teach girls that being obese is socially acceptable? This entire thing orientates around your feelings, and you're quite happy to project an unhealthy life standard onto the rest of the population just so it gives you a free pass to be as unhealthy as you like (and make me pay for it).

No thanks. As I said, your feelings are irrelevant, the personal isn't political and this is political (largely because I have to pay for your desire to promote obesity as an acceptable life choice).

I said "feelings", not "my feelings". And you're obviously assuming that I'm fat and therefore want to promote "acceptance" to make myself feel better which has you completely disregard my argument because you're upset. That is not constructive, it's emotional and illogical, obviously the opposite of what you're preaching.

That is why having this conversation is pointless, because you're not interested in any point of view other than your own. I didn't say you should want to pay for other people's mistakes and I don't believe you should. But the situation is bigger than that, it's about psychology, it's about politics, the media etc. There is no quick fix here, if there was, surely you would have found the solution by now and you haven't.
The first one has great facial features. I'm not sure how she got those features yet has an obese body; how does that work?
I said "feelings", not "my feelings". And you're obviously assuming that I'm fat and therefore want to promote "acceptance" to make myself feel better which has you completely disregard my argument because you're upset. That is not constructive, it's emotional and illogical, obviously the opposite of what you're preaching.

That is why having this conversation is pointless, because you're not interested in any point of view other than your own. I didn't say you should want to pay for other people's mistakes and I don't believe you should. But the situation is bigger than that, it's about psychology, it's about politics, the media etc. There is no quick fix here, if there was, surely you would have found the solution by now and you haven't.

You're right, I am disregarding your argument because for the umpteenth time, it's all about you and your feelings. Like it or not, obesity is not an acceptable life choice, being fat is something to be ashamed of.

I know this isn't what they teach you in politically correct group think seminars, however anyone with any capacity to think rationally (i.e., someone who doesn't prioritise their feelings above all else) knows this is the case.

While telling me how terrible my argument is, I also noticed you haven't forwarded one of your own of even sought to challenge it. All you've done is - surprise, surprise - tell me how you feel.

Anyone else spotting a recurring theme here? Feelings, feelings, feelings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending