The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dazzzzzla
Yeah it could be - or your lumbar spine for the pressure of a mans ego?

Your quads are small because you don't train them either a) well or b) enough

My back is bad because... well go on... lets see whether the rekt can guess?

1. Everyone cares what they look like and how others perceive them - hence the reason we buy clothes we like, groom ourselves etc.

2. Some people have a different training goal - strength, hypertrophy, endurance - BUT you missed my point - we all want to be look good.

3. If I was only focused on hypertrophy then why am I on a velocity diet? And why wouldn't I just dirty bulk? Or use steroids?

4. I'm about form, strength, stability, and a healthy body - along that will come an aesthetically pleasing body.

1. Bad analogy. How much people care about their looks varies greatly. Some just want to wear clothes that look OK and are comfortable in and on thee hand you have people having surgeries. In training some people just want dat dere shoulders and arms and on the extreme people want to become professional bodybuilders.

2. That's obviously false. Does a marathon runner care that he's skinny? Or a cyclist? What about the powerlifter who's puffy with a red face from the % BF he is? Not only are you generalising but you are wrong in loads of ways.

3. I meant aesthetics mainly.

4. You are about form? What does that even mean? Form is more arbitrary than you think. Just see the difference between someone who wants to use the bench press for chest or the powerlifter who was strong triceps. Very different.

Anyways you obviously have aesthetics as your main goal. Would you out your total over looks? Would you put your healthy body too (low bf%)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
It's still very much a strength focussed core in the blogs

Yeh I thought so. Is that Norwegian girl who OL still here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This blog is one of the most active threads on the entire site... at peak time. Loooool

Original post by Slipandsquirm
Yeh I thought so. Is that Norwegian girl who OL still here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfotunately piggsil isn't active in here anymore. AppealtoReason is an oly lifter tho
1. Bad analogy. How much people care about their looks varies greatly. Some just want to wear clothes that look OK and are comfortable in and on thee hand you have people having surgeries. In training some people just want dat dere shoulders and arms and on the extreme people want to become professional bodybuilders.

2. That's obviously false. Does a marathon runner care that he's skinny? Or a cyclist? What about the powerlifter who's puffy with a red face from the % BF he is? Not only are you generalising but you are wrong in loads of ways.

3. I meant aesthetics mainly.

4. You are about form? What does that even mean? Form is more arbitrary than you think. Just see the difference between someone who wants to use the bench press for chest or the powerlifter who was strong triceps. Very different.

Anyways you obviously have aesthetics as your main goal. Would you out your total over looks? Would you put your healthy body too (low bf%)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lets put it simply for the sake of time.

Everyone is different, we both agree. We all have different life goals and training goals. We all have a view in mind. I was in a gym, training people for four years. 95% of them people "wanted to look better/lose weight, or get bigger" - this is all about perception to others, as well as comfortability in ones self.

You're clearly just wanting another debate about some bull****. We all have different perceptions on what looks good - Ronnie Coleman thinks he looks great. I don't think so. Mo Farah thinks he looks great, I don't think so. Cristiano Ronaldo thinks he looks great, I think so. I prefer an athletic body other others. We all won't agree with me. So how am I wrong when I say - we all want to look good? You're just being pedantic.

We also can change our minds at any mind on what we want to do.

"Would you out your total over looks? Would you put your healthy body too (low bf%)" - what does that even mean?
Your quads are small because you don't train them either a) well or b) enough

My back is bad because... well go on... lets see whether the rekt can guess?

Have you seen my quads? :/

Dude you aren't even in shape and you have terrible posture. Don't call someone out when you clearly have a tight chest and poor rhomboids. Your shoulders are naturally forward.

Grab a pencil with either hand and stand up, relax fully and I bet you my life that them pencils aren't pointing straight out. They're pointing fairly close together, right?
Lets put it simply for the sake of time.

Everyone is different, we both agree. We all have different life goals and training goals. We all have a view in mind. I was in a gym, training people for four years. 95% of them people "wanted to look better/lose weight, or get bigger" - this is all about perception to others, as well as comfortability in ones self.

You're clearly just wanting another debate about some bull****. We all have different perceptions on what looks good - Ronnie Coleman thinks he looks great. I don't think so. Mo Farah thinks he looks great, I don't think so. Cristiano Ronaldo thinks he looks great, I think so. I prefer an athletic body other others. We all won't agree with me. So how am I wrong when I say - we all want to look good? You're just being pedantic.

We also can change our minds at any mind on what we want to do.

"Would you out your total over looks? Would you put your healthy body too (low bf%)" - what does that even mean?

You're not getting it, people don't put looks over other things all the time. In fact loads of people don't.

Your experience as a PT doesn't mean much with this, as you should know mostly a specific type of client will seek
a PT. That happens to be people who just want to look a bit better.

Haha well it's a debate your losing! Your putting Bullcrap in people's mouth - how do you know Mo farah thinks he looks good? I think he just cares about being good at his sport, at any rate he cares way more about endurance than looks (bad example with Ronnie who's
Sport literally is to 'look good')

I'm asking if you put your healthy body above aesthetics or if you want aesthetics as an after thought. If you were after a healthy body you wouldn't care about being cut or having abs (if it's not normal for you to have them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys. Can we stop the debate for a minute lol I need advice! I did back today instead of legs. I felt the bar kept rolling down my fingers after the third rep with deadlift. Would you recommend buying gloves or using chalk? My gym was out of chalk.. I know I'm strong enough to lift the weight but the bar was slipping . Thanks.
Now I'll contribute to the debate. Not everyone sets their goal on what they look ie aesthetics. Power lifters and strongmen certainly value performance over looks. That's why Mike O'hearn is an absolute beat because he is a competitive power lifter and ripped as ****!
This blog is one of the most active threads on the entire site... at peak time. Loooool

Unfotunately piggsil isn't active in here anymore. AppealtoReason is an oly lifter tho

Such a shame!! Do you know what happened?

I think i remember reading one of your earlier posts some time back and you had a knee problem? How's that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stochasticking
Guys. Can we stop the debate for a minute lol I need advice! I did back today instead of legs. I felt the bar kept rolling down my fingers after the third rep with deadlift. Would you recommend buying gloves or using chalk? My gym was out of chalk.. I know I'm strong enough to lift the weight but the bar was slipping . Thanks.

Don't use gloves. EVER. Calluses are your friend! Chalk is great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude you aren't even in shape and you have terrible posture. Don't call someone out when you clearly have a tight chest and poor rhomboids. Your shoulders are naturally forward.

Grab a pencil with either hand and stand up, relax fully and I bet you my life that them pencils aren't pointing straight out. They're pointing fairly close together, right?

But how does poor posture mean he can't out poor quads?

You'll find almost everyone's shoulders
Roll forward in this day and age, even with good training. 15 hours poor posture all day at desk and with texting does that, even with good training.

And just to be pedantic (this time) it could be he has internal rotation from tight lats.

And don't take this too seriously I'm just having and bit of too and fro with you!! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're not getting it, people don't put looks over other things all the time. In fact loads of people don't.

Your experience as a PT doesn't mean much with this, as you should know mostly a specific type of client will seek
a PT. That happens to be people who just want to look a bit better.

Haha well it's a debate your losing! Your putting Bullcrap in people's mouth - how do you know Mo farah thinks he looks good? I think he just cares about being good at his sport, at any rate he cares way more about endurance than looks (bad example with Ronnie who's
Sport literally is to 'look good':wink:

I'm asking if you put your healthy body above aesthetics or if you want aesthetics as an after thought. If you were after a healthy body you wouldn't care about being cut or having abs (if it's not normal for you to have them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get it - we just have different viewpoints. I didn't say people put looks over other things? I am saying - we all wish to look good. And we all have a definition of what that "good" standard is.

I gave you an example that as a PT, I saw thousands of clients who wanted to look better - only a handful were in there to increase their strength, or to be as endured as they could be. That is because that's what THEY wanted - we all want different things. You can't say "it don't mean much" because it helps your argument. Now you are the one generalising that people only want a PT to look good? LOL.

Losing how? Are you serious? The dude wouldn't be the way he was if he was insecure about how he looked. **** me. AGAIN - how is it a bad example? It is MY viewpoint that he looks stupid. Thats me. You're you. We all have different thoughts.

But you are saying good aesthetics is having a cut body/abs? so you are again generalising? How do you know I don't want to look aesthetics pleasing by having a larger, more full body?

If I had bad lumbar spine - I wouldn't lift weight I can't do with strict form. I value a healthy body over aesthetics.
What is this **** storm

Someone give me a tl;dr plz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Double overhand grip until it fails
Then double overhand with chalk until it fails
Then hook grip with chalk until it fails (if you're not a pussy)
Then mixed grip with chalk

gloves aren't usually very helpful in that regard
(edited 8 years ago)
and come on guise, we all know that 'training for strength' is just wanting to get swole but not wanting to admit to such a 'shallow' goal
But how does poor posture mean he can't out poor quads?

You'll find almost everyone's shoulders
Roll forward in this day and age, even with good training. 15 hours poor posture all day at desk and with texting does that, even with good training.

And just to be pedantic (this time) it could be he has internal rotation from tight lats.

And don't take this too seriously I'm just having and bit of too and fro with you!! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you're right with the poor posture.

Poor posture is worse than an underdeveloped body part. What takes longer - to correct a poorly imbalanced muscular structure, or to get a more developed body part?

Thing is - I'll put my money where my mouth is and show you my quads, I'll show you my form. Others won't because their subconscious is telling them I am right :wink:

I'm not taking it seriously - I am merely discussing it with you. Although I fail to see why everyone wants to disregard the fact I am speaking truth haha.

A tight chest and poor rhomboids... are you even serious... that makes me out of shape? Ok. Thanks for the lesson. So so so bitter. You're still rekt

I haven't seen your quads; nor do I want to. I feel slightly uneasy that you're checking me out to the level of saying I have a tight chest and I have tight rhomboids. I know I'm sexy as hell, but from a dude... not sure what I'm feeling :sexface:

Still don't have no answer to why you think I have a bad lumbar spine which you so eloquantly fired shots at.

Gloves will do nothing. Buy liquid chalk from myprotein, it costs barely anything and last forever

Now I'll contribute to the debate. Not everyone sets their goal on what they look ie aesthetics. Power lifters and strongmen certainly value performance over looks. That's why Mike O'hearn is an absolute beat because he is a competitive power lifter and ripped as ****!

He's on dat dere celltech just so you know

Such a shame!! Do you know what happened?

I think i remember reading one of your earlier posts some time back and you had a knee problem? How's that?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, took a long long time to get everything sorted, but back functioning to full strength. Still swells up on occassion, but nothing like it used to
Original post by Implication
Double overhand grip until it fails
Then double overhand with chalk until it fails
Then hook grip with chalk until it fails (if you're not a pussy)
Then mixed grip with chalk

gloves aren't usually very helpful in that regard

I thought alternate grip is meant to help in this regard? But chalk it is! Thanks. The stupid gym never have some when I need it! :angry:
A powerlifter in my gym uses the hook grip, along the line I might start.

Not one person has said that aesthetics is the main goal for someone. I merely stated that each person on this planet, wants to look good.

Do you not see that you're talking about someone who powerlifts - this is what he would LOVE - you calling him a beast. That is my point - we all have different goals and want to look good. No one wants a **** body.

Quick Reply

Latest