The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dilsz
Making a clock itself should receive praise not this bs. Sigh America #IStandWithAhmed

Why do you always make Arab/Islam-related threads?
It looked like a bomb. I don't want to be bombed. Fin.
Original post by SignFromDog
Utter nonsense. While there is discrimination, and racism even, in parts of American society, there are also large parts of it where people of all races can succeed, and thrive, if they have the talent and the ambition.

Look at President Obama, or Condoleeza Rice, or Colin Powell. Look at the entertainment industry and music business.

To assert that America only works for white people is astonishingly ignorant.

And how do you know that? are you American? I'm not American so I'm not gonna assume that other races can't succeed. but from what it looks like over here it doesn't look like people of other races are getting far even though they're trying hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 343
Original post by Namandi
LOL. There's already a thread about this.

Why is it disgusting that it was mistaken for a bomb?

USA doesn't mess around with security. That is common knowledge.

Once they suspect something could be a threat, they act accordingly.

Even if it is something as small as a pencil case or in this case, a handmade clock, they act accordingly.

Are they paranoid? Perhaps

Would they rather be paranoid than have parents mourning the lives of their children? Definitely

Pretty true tbh

Better to be safe than sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by queen-bee
Please don't be jealous now :mmm: I kid

I think it is unfair on those who have actually made things of importance. The kid that made a fusion reactor is genius.
Original post by Juichiro
Why do you always make Arab/Islam-related threads?

I made this particular thread
Original post by DiddyDec
I think it is unfair on those who have actually made things of importance. The kid that made a fusion reactor is genius.

OMG. Stop! This kid deserves something too
OMG. Stop! This kid deserves something too

He doesn't deserve anything. Does everyone who get wrongfully arrested deserve to meet the president?
Original post by DiddyDec
He doesn't deserve anything. Does everyone who get wrongfully arrested deserve to meet the president?

Hellz yeah
I made this particular thread

And over 50% of your recent threads. 58% in fact. I was just wondering why all the interest. Are you Arab?
And over 50% of your recent threads. 58% in fact. I was just wondering why all the interest. Are you Arab?

Yes I am :smile:
Yeah but...

What if it was a bomb

Hmm hmm hmm?
Yes I am :smile:

I see. It makes sense now. :smile: Aren't you that girl that made that thread about Kensington? Your family must be wealthy. What did study and where uni-wise?
As a muslim myself, the school decision is justifed. If a kid entered your house with a ticking beeping wire contraption, how the hell will you think that is a "clock". Lets remove religion/race out of this but use pure logic...a kid with a ticking device is suspicious...espically a bomb-like contraption. In the end of the day, the sheer amount of terrorist attacks by muslims made the situation worse... #IStandWithTheSchool
Reply 354
Original post by napkinsquirrel
Please elaborate.

Militarized schooling in America encompasses two broad trends—“military education” and what may be called “education as enforcement.”

Military education refers to explicit efforts to expand and legitimate military training in public schools and is exemplified by the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC), the Troops to Teachers program (which places retired soldiers in schools), the trend towards hiring military generals as school superintendents or CEOs, the school uniform movement, the Lockheed Martin corporation’s public school in Georgia, and the army’s development of the biggest online education program in the world as a recruiting tool. A large number of private military schools, such as the notorious Virginia Military Institute (VMI), service the public military academies and the military itself and are considered ideals that public school militarization should strive towards. Like the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, military education turns hierarchical organization, competition, group cohesion, and weaponry into fun and games. The focus on adventure activities has made these programs extremely successful at recruitment and nearly half (47 percent) of the 200,000 students in the 1,420 JROTC army programs nationwide enter military service.

In addition to promoting recruitment, military education plays a central role in fostering a social focus on discipline exemplified by the rise of militarized policing, increased powers for search and seizure, the laws against public gathering, “zero tolerance” policies, and the transformation of welfare into punishing workfare programs. This militarization of civil society has been further intensified since September 11, as conservatives and liberals alike have seized upon the “terrorist threat” to justify the passage of the USA Patriot Act. The “education as enforcement” trend understands militarized public schooling to be part of the militarization of civil society, which in turn has to be understood as being part of the broader social, cultural, and economic movements for state-backed corporate globalization seeking to erode democratic power while expanding and enforcing corporate power at local, national, and global levels.

The “education as enforcement” trend understands militarized public schooling to be part of the militarization of civil society, which in turn has to be understood as being part of the broader social, cultural, and economic movements for state-backed corporate globalization seeking to erode democratic power while expanding and enforcing corporate power at local, national, and global levels.

Tl;DR The US government has shown it is more committed to maintaining discipline in the classroom to ensure the students who are not very intelligent receive some education, even if it means that brighter students are repressed.
(edited 8 years ago)
I see. It makes sense now. :smile: Aren't you that girl that made that thread about Kensington? Your family must be wealthy. What did study and where uni-wise?

Yes,I am.
I went to king's and studied biomedical science there
Yes,I am.
I went to king's and studied biomedical science there

Cool. What's your current job?
Cool. What's your current job?

I'm out of work for health reasons
America gonna 'merica
Original post by bubblegumcat
And how do you know that? are you American? I'm not American so I'm not gonna assume that other races can't succeed. but from what it looks like over here

So you've never been to America. You don't really know much about America. But you said "Only if you're white". On its face that comment cannot stand; the President of the United States is not white.

Like anything, the issue is complex and is an interplay between geography (the status of African Americans is different in Arkansas as against New York), class, merit and a number of other things.

Making a blanket "only if you're white" statement is not just wrong, it's also insulting to the idea of having an intelligent debate about the subject

Latest