The Student Room Group

Are these the right A-levels for engineering?

I'm going to be applying for A-levels soon and want to pursue a career in engineering at university. I know certain A levels that I need to take but I'm confused about what other subjects would increase my chances of being accepted at a top uni.

Here's what I'm definitely doing:

Maths
Physics

Here's what I'm considering:

Further maths
economics
computer science
geography
chemistry

Anyone got any advice for my third and fourth option? Will it matter what subjects I will do besides maths and physics?
Reply 1
Original post by Aimen Z
I'm going to be applying for A-levels soon and want to pursue a career in engineering at university. I know certain A levels that I need to take but I'm confused about what other subjects would increase my chances of being accepted at a top uni.

Maths
Physics

Further maths
economics
computer science
geography
chemistry

Anyone got any advice for my third and fourth option? Will it matter what subjects I will do besides maths and physics?

Further Maths and chemistry maybe, I did those four last year. Most love FM
Reply 2
Original post by hola!!
Further Maths and chemistry maybe, I did those four last year. Most love FM

Thanks for the advice! :smile: Further maths seems like a logical option, btw how much harder did you find further maths than the normal A-level? I'm predicted an A* at gcse but i don't want to get ahead of myself lol.
Chemistry is a strong subject that's definitely high on my list :yy:
Last question lol, are you in A2 or university atm? and are you considering engineering too?
Reply 3
Original post by Aimen Z
Thanks for the advice! :smile: Further maths seems like a logical option, btw how much harder did you find further maths than the normal A-level? I'm predicted an A* at gcse but i don't want to get ahead of myself lol.
Chemistry is a strong subject that's definitely high on my list :yy:
Last question lol, are you in A2 or university atm? and are you considering engineering too?

You're welcome :smile:
Ummm, well at my sixth form they teach us AS maths in one year alongside further maths AS. We do the A2s in the second year. But I know some colleges teach you core 1 2 3 4 in one year, so that depends. Overall I'd say doing fp1 last year has helped me in c3 this year. It's a little bit harder, but not too hard. Just make sure you ask at the time if you don't understand something. I wouldn't say it's harder, it really is just more maths! haha That's good, I dropped chem at the start of A2 because I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. But, if you want to do chemical engineering then you'll need that. I've just started A2 and I'm considering applying for engineering yes. :smile:
Original post by Aimen Z

Maths
Physics

Further maths
economics
computer science
geography
chemistry

What sort of engineering?

If you aren't sure then F Maths and Chemistry - you haven't mentioned Design Tech - some unis put this alongside Chem as a possible 4th.
Depends what type of engineering you're going into but further maths and chemistry seem to be the best options. Maths and physics a definite.
Reply 6
We are in the same situation. I'm doing triple science and economics in my GCSE's and want to do physics chemistry maths and possibly biology in a levels. I advise you to do chemistry if you are doing anything to do with chemical engineering. But if mechanical engineering do computer science but I advise you not to do geography or economics unless you want to do something related to those subjects.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
What sort of engineering?

If you aren't sure then F Maths and Chemistry - you haven't mentioned Design Tech - some unis put this alongside Chem as a possible 4th.

I've got a few of engineering fields that I've narrowed it down to but they're quite different to each other so I think yea, further maths and chem seem the best choices to keep my options open in the type of engineering I choose in the future.

I don't do DT at gcse because the teacher is really crappy who doesn't really care so lots of people got low grades last year so im kinda reluctant to do DT at A level just because I don't think I'll be up to the same level as the other students and I don't want it to drag me down :/ but I'm i'll talk to teachers and students about it on open days.

Thanks for the feedback btw! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ryathelionator
Depends what type of engineering you're going into but further maths and chemistry seem to be the best options. Maths and physics a definite.

I'm considering a few types of engineering but yea I think I further maths and chemistry will definitely compliment maths and physics.
Thanks for replying! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by hola!!
You're welcome :smile:
Ummm, well at my sixth form they teach us AS maths in one year alongside further maths AS. We do the A2s in the second year. But I know some colleges teach you core 1 2 3 4 in one year, so that depends. Overall I'd say doing fp1 last year has helped me in c3 this year. It's a little bit harder, but not too hard. Just make sure you ask at the time if you don't understand something. I wouldn't say it's harder, it really is just more maths! haha That's good, I dropped chem at the start of A2 because I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. But, if you want to do chemical engineering then you'll need that. I've just started A2 and I'm considering applying for engineering yes. :smile:

Yep I think the college i'm hoping to get into does it the same way too :biggrin: and haha thanks for the info, i'll keep it in mind.
And good luck for uni! hope you get into what you want :smile:
Original post by Aimen Z
I've got a few of engineering fields that I've narrowed it down to but they're quite different to each other so I think yea, further maths and chem seem the best choices to keep my options open in the type of engineering I choose in the future.

I don't do DT at gcse because the teacher is really crappy who doesn't really care so lots of people got low grades last year so im kinda reluctant to do DT at A level just because I don't think I'll be up to the same level as the other students and I don't want it to drag me down :/ but I'm i'll talk to teachers and students about it on open days.

Thanks for the feedback btw! :smile:

OK - don't do DT if you're not doing GCSE.

Go with my first suggestion - even AS Further Maths would be good.
Reply 11
Original post by Ahlam_Abdi
We are in the same situation. I'm doing triple science and economics in my GCSE's and want to do physics chemistry maths and possibly biology in a levels. I advise you to do chemistry if you are doing anything to do with chemical engineering. But if mechanical engineering do computer science but I advise you not to do geography or economics unless you want to do something related to those subjects.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I'm doing triple science too! :smile: but I do computer science and geography too so that's why I'm kinda leaning towards them lol. But I see what you mean, I initally though about geography and economics to have some sort of variation in my choices so maybe I should just take chemistry to have a strong second science subject even if I don't do chem eng. Comp sci is a tough one for me because it's not really a required a level for many degrees, not even computer science! but I can see how the skills could be transferable.
Thanks for the advise :smile: :smile: Are you considering engineering too or a different field?
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
OK - don't do DT if you're not doing GCSE.

Go with my first suggestion - even AS Further Maths would be good.

Yea, I think I will, thanks
Reply 13
Maths, Physics are a must for top unis

For your 3rd and 4th subjects I would suggest taking ones that would be relevant to Engineering so I would say Further Maths as you will be doing a serious amout of maths on an engineering degree especially at a top uni also I would say Computer Science as you will most likely have to do some programming at uni, you havent mentioned Electronics either that could also be a good subject to take as it is an Engineering discipline, DT as someone else mentioned is good and some unis list it as a good 3rd/4th subject (like Bath who I believe are ranked 4th for Engineering this year and 2nd last year) and also have a look at a BTEC Level 3 in Engineering (either 6 or 12 units) alongside Maths and Physics it would combine well

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Aimen Z
Hmm I'm doing triple science too! :smile: but I do computer science and geography too so that's why I'm kinda leaning towards them lol. But I see what you mean, I initally though about geography and economics to have some sort of variation in my choices so maybe I should just take chemistry to have a strong second science subject even if I don't do chem eng. Comp sci is a tough one for me because it's not really a required a level for many degrees, not even computer science! but I can see how the skills could be transferable.
Thanks for the advise :smile: :smile: Are you considering engineering too or a different field?

Comp sci isnt required because not all schools/colleges offer it, and the subject is taught from the ground up at university, whearas Maths is offered pretty much everywhere

Quick Reply

Latest