The Student Room Group

Topless protesters disrupt Muslim conference, Paris

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uberteknik
In other words you are tacitly condoning the murders as a consequence by deflecting full responsibility away from the terrorists.

Charlie Hebdo publications are free speech and if a person is offended, there are ombudsmen who will take up a complaint and decide whether it contravened any laws with appropriate action.

If one wishes to change the law, there is nothing to stop one becoming a politician and canvassing for change.

The Islamic extremists decided they would circumvent the law by brutally murdering the writers and publishers to instill public fear and silence future lawful critique of Islam.

The butchers chose to murder for no other reason than they were offended.

Good job feminists do not pull out automatic machine guns and start mowing down people with views that offend them, eh? They could justify the killings by saying Muslims brought it on themselves.

This post basically sums up the rational liberal viewpoint
Reply 321
Original post by HucktheForde
This is wrong on so many levels. You have your right to say what you want and you can say anything we dont agree. Why do you think you or anjem chouldary has not been arrested? The same cant be said for charlie hebdo. They have been murdered.Sure they are not making constructive criticism but the term speech covers more than just criticism.

The clash is not between muslims or Europeans. Get your facts right. Its in between people who do not want to live in fear of violence vs people who wants to use violence against anything they disagree with.
Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I think he has a point there.

The Western governments try to act like it's about the fight for freedom/equality. It's not though, it's about capitalism. It's about power. It's about money. It's about maintaining the way of life we have in the West. We don't really have equality here in the West. We have lots of poverty. We have lots of anti-religious sentiment. There's no love for others. Just the love of ourselves. It's a human flaw really.
Original post by Pride

The Western governments try to act like it's about the fight for freedom/equality. It's not though, it's about capitalism. It's about power. It's about money. It's about maintaining the way of life we have in the West. We don't really have equality here in the West. We have lots of poverty. We have lots of anti-religious sentiment. There's no love for others. Just the love of ourselves. It's a human flaw really.

The rich Arab states have done nothing practical to help the Syrian refugees, yet they will have fewer integration problems, are closer, have more similar cultures and the same religion. So much for Moslem love and solidarity.
Original post by Pride

and who is going to shoot you if you voice out ?
Reply 324
Original post by Good bloke
The rich Arab states have done nothing practical to help the Syrian refugees, yet they will have fewer integration problems, are closer, have more similar cultures and the same religion. So much for Moslem love and solidarity.

and who is going to shoot you if you voice out ?

I was just pointing out that the problem is not Islam but humanity. The flaws of human beings cause war. It's not some one-sided thing, where there's an evil side and a good side.
Original post by Good bloke
That was briefly discussed earlier, if I remember correctly, and a Moslem gave us an explanation that essentially meant that, because of the vagaries of Arabic, it could mean whatever nice word a Moslem wants it to mean.

So like most of the Quran then?
Original post by KimKallstrom
So like most of the Quran then?

Quite!
Original post by Errm38
Anjum Choudhary has been arrested and bailed.

So our support for Al Sisi's brutal crackdown on those that want Press Freedom, and general freedom and human rights is right?

no. i am also critical of the **** of some things the west does.

did we support Al sisi?
because of his crackdown on press freedom? or we support him because the other side is worse?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 328
no. i am also critical of the **** of some things the west does.

I'm sure you are.

did we support Al sisi?

You think Sisi would have moved against Morsi if we hadn't tacitly given assurances?

We certainly opened up arms deals with him.

because of his crackdown on press freedom? or we support him because the other side is worse?

I don't believe the MB cracked down on the press to the extent that Sisi has, if at all...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending