The Student Room Group

"Sexy Plus Size Model Stuns on Catwalk" How is this acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sqwertylol
how is she toned???? if thats toned then I'd hate to know what your definition of fat is.

She's not fully toned but I was expecting rolls of fat.
Reply 101
Original post by Ladymusiclover
What are you talking about?. She looks of a healthy body weight. I was expecting to see an obese woman. She looks toned and curvaceous. Stunning.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

Original post by mollyxrose
???? Size 16 isn't largely overweight.

Yes it is. It is gross and has only become normalised in Western society, first due to the American lifestyle, and now elsewhere due to the Americanisation of these places. Its absolutely revolting to be honest.

Original post by abc:)
I don't agree with celebrating morbidly obese bodies as if they're wonderful and healthy.... but... I actually don't think she's that big. Any bigger and I'd say she might be unhealthy but tbh, to my eyes, she's the top end of curvy. I think she looks great. Just my opinion.

Top end of curvy? What a load of tripe. She's quite clearly overweight and nowhere near curvy.

The most worrying thing in this thread is that some people are claiming this is normal, which shows the attempts to portray this as normal and acceptable are working. It is completely wrong and its why a sugar tax is needed on products.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Wtf?!!? She's obese! Am I taking crazy pills?!!?

How so?? She has a voluptuous figure. An obese woman would have rolls of fat and wouldn't have an hourglass figure.
Reply 103

She is not toned at all.

This is toned.

How so?? She has a voluptuous figure. An obese woman would have rolls of fat and wouldn't have an hourglass figure.

You don't have to have visible rolls of fat in order to be obese. It's clear from the size of her (assuming she has an average sized head) that she is obese.
People keep replying to my comment but I still stand by my point.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
You don't have to have visible rolls of fat in order to be obese. It's clear from the size of her (assuming she has an average sized head) that she is obese.

Maybe I'm looking at a different photo. lol

the last thing id call her is toned
Original post by Mr JB
She is not toned at all.

This is toned.

hottie, too. you know her?
Reply 109
Original post by sqwertylol
hottie, too. you know her?

Anna Nystrom is her name. She's absolutely stunning.

https://instagram.com/annanystrom/?hl=en
@up
not bad but nothing to be talking about

about the women from the first post: I would
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/size-16-model-ashley-graham-6451232

Why is our fashion industry one of extremes?

Firstly, that model is overweight and not even a little bit, she's largely overweight. Why is it acceptable to promote such an unhealthy size? Yes, she is facially gorgeous, she'd probably have a fantastic figure if she was a healthy weight. Yet she chose, and others chose, to use her body as a tool for "body confidence".

When it's so false.
Firstly, bodies that size should not promoted, because she is overweight. And obesity is one of our biggest epidemics.
And secondly, because it makes absolutely no difference. Girls know that she is a "plus size" model. Girls don't aspire to be "plus size", they aspire to be normal.

But we have no normal. In fashion it's mostly underweight models, with a select few plus size models for political correctness.

While she is celebrated for being plus size. Models such as this http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/25/swedish-model-blasts-fashion-industry-as-absurd-for-saying-shes-too-big-for-bookings-5359951/ are criticised by the industry for being too big. When in fact she has a healthy, slim figure.

How can we have it so wrong? The fashion industry should ban plus size models, as well as banning dangerously underweight models. Instead, the industry should include a variety of healthy sizes ranging from 6-14. Only then, will they preach body confidence. Because right now, it's so hypocritcal, and is only open to those too underweight, and too overweight.

Models like this are not promoting body confidence, it is merely a political tool for the fashion industry to show how 'accepting' they are, when for the rest of the time, they push girls to starve themselves.

I can't even believe people agree with you! For one

she's not like Adele or big as hell. She can very well be healthy. You saying this is an unhealthy size is like saying that skinny automatically means healthy and it doesn't.

Now as far as making this some new trend or ideal, no thanks, but I take serious serious issue with you calling her unhealthy. You're probably jealous that you're smaller than her and aren't on a catwalk.

And if the woman can walk in heels and if she has great bone structure, she can walk the catwalk. You should be happy they're moving from "heroin chic" which is FAR more unhealthy. It is literally promoting that it's glamourous to be massively underweight whilst addicted to narcotics.

Is anorexia, which plagues the modeling industry, healthy?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 112
Fashion designers don't choose super-thin models to glamourise their bodies, they choose them because they're like human coat-hangers that the clothes just sort of fall off of. There oughtn't be a demand for fat chicks on catwalks because that defeats the purpose of the model.

Plus if she faints or something the people in the front are screwed.
Original post by Mr JB
Anna Nystrom is her name. She's absolutely stunning.

https://instagram.com/annanystrom/?hl=en

great piece of ass
Facially stunning. Shame it's all downhill from the neck downwards.

We finally stamped out the "anorexia is sexy" mentality from the modelling industry... now they're promoting being overweight???

Finding a balance <- you're doing it wrong.
She is actually stunning, I saw some of the other models and WOW! Of course health is an issue here, but it's also an issue for skinny catwalk too, at the end of the day people are responsible for their own bodies, you can do whatever you like and say whatever but your just wasting your breath.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Much in the same way shaming people about mass immigration works. The vast majority of the population is opposed to it, the BBC exploits the death of a 3 year old child to amass political capital and we all have to accept it otherwise we're compelled to listen to the shame and guilt narratives.

Shaming is the most potent political weapon of our generation; progressives love it when it works in their favour.

I don't give a crap about people's feelings, I give a crap about 1. having to pay for their desire to live an unhealthy lifestyle 2. them making obesity out to look like an acceptable life choice.

Only on TSR would someone interlink these two things in one post.
Original post by Sweet n Sour
I can't even believe people agree with you! For one

she's not like Adele or big as hell. She can very well be healthy. You saying this is an unhealthy size is like saying that skinny automatically means healthy and it doesn't.

Now as far as making this some new trend or ideal, no thanks, but I take serious serious issue with you calling her unhealthy. You're probably jealous that you're smaller than her and aren't on a catwalk.

And if the woman can walk in heels and if she has great bone structure, she can walk the catwalk. You should be happy they're moving from "heroin chic" which is FAR more unhealthy. It is literally promoting that it's glamourous to be massively underweight whilst addicted to narcotics.

Is anorexia, which plagues the modeling industry, healthy?

Yes, there are women bigger than her. But that doesn't make her weight acceptable. Saying that Adele is bigger than her, does not make her any smaller, she is still a very overweight woman.

Views like yours concern me because it represent a change in perception. As our society is plagued with more and more overweight people, the perception of what is considered overweight shifts more and more towards the obese end.

It shocks me that people are so accepting of this issue, it's as if you embrace it. My only consolation is the thought that the only people who are defending the women are overweight themselves.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
She is actually stunning, I saw some of the other models and WOW! Of course health is an issue here, but it's also an issue for skinny catwalk too, at the end of the day people are responsible for their own bodies, you can do whatever you like and say whatever but your just wasting your breath.

Yes she is facially stunning, but her body is not. If you read my op you'd see that I've mentioned the issue of having underweight women on the catwalks, hence my second link.

Like I said, our industry is one of extremes. If this women lost weight and became a size 12, she'd probably have a fantastic figure. But she'd lose all work because she'd be too small for plus size modelling, and too large for normal modelling. The normal, healthy sizes are excluded from fashion, it is not acceptable.
Original post by Drunk Punx
There's a difference between being overweight and being obese, and size 16 is definitely not the latter.

There's nothing wrong with having a bit of fat so long as it's not having an adverse effect on your health, so I don't see why the fashion industry should sink to your level of childish condemnation and ostracisation of people who have a dress size that's anything other than 8-10.

I think by using 'bigger' women in modelling (as in size 16's) it sends out the message to all manner of overweight women that being fat is okay. That model is fat but not dangerously so but I think she'll make girls who are very big sizes like a 24 think they should be proud of their bodies. Also she's probably quite tall which will push her size up, if you're 5'3" and a size 16 then you're going to be too big

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending