The Student Room Group

Low confidence

I've been learning to drive for about 2 months now, had about 15 lessons or so. Covered everything apart from roundabouts and emergency stop. However, I'm terrified of driving in traffic. My instructor is always saying that my ability is higher than my confidence. I don't know how to fix this and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

If it carries on like this I wont make any progress for a while which will be boring and expensive!!
It is an annoying thing to be told isn't it? I didn't get into teacher training on the basis of a 'lack of confidence.' Being told you lack confidence is worse for your self-confidence than any number of failures or rejections.
Reply 2
I'm in very similar conditions so don't worry about it. My instructor used to tell me exactly the same thing! Although for me, I was a very slow learner at driving and have been having lessons for about a year and a half- so you're doing much better than me :smile: I'm taking my test soon and I am not hugely confident about it but will try my best.

How I got over that low in confidence at driving was literally to pretend. The best way to gain confidence in anything is to feign it. So act as if you are a pro driver in those tough situations, and truly believe that you have every right to be on the road just as much as everyone else does :smile:

Hope that helps!
I can relate and sympathise. The best advice i was given when approaching a roundabout or junction with alot of traffic is to focus entirely on when you are supposed to stop. It slows everything down a bit for you. Other wise you panic and over complicate something that isn't scary at all. Have you done mini roundabouts? Best starting point to get an idea of steering and speed.
Keep learning to drive.

Try meditation or try reading a book that is based on overcoming drivers' nerves, that is what I did.
Reply 5
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
It is an annoying thing to be told isn't it? I didn't get into teacher training on the basis of a 'lack of confidence.' Being told you lack confidence is worse for your self-confidence than any number of failures or rejections.

It's so annoying!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way!
Reply 6
Original post by LouOla
I'm in very similar conditions so don't worry about it. My instructor used to tell me exactly the same thing! Although for me, I was a very slow learner at driving and have been having lessons for about a year and a half- so you're doing much better than me :smile: I'm taking my test soon and I am not hugely confident about it but will try my best.

How I got over that low in confidence at driving was literally to pretend. The best way to gain confidence in anything is to feign it. So act as if you are a pro driver in those tough situations, and truly believe that you have every right to be on the road just as much as everyone else does :smile:

Hope that helps!

I'm glad im not the only one! Ah right best of luck when it comes!!

Thank you for that advice, i'll try and do something like that the next time I have a lesson! Sometimes just feel like I'm holding people up etc as a learner driver :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by SneakyPenguin
I can relate and sympathise. The best advice i was given when approaching a roundabout or junction with alot of traffic is to focus entirely on when you are supposed to stop. It slows everything down a bit for you. Other wise you panic and over complicate something that isn't scary at all. Have you done mini roundabouts? Best starting point to get an idea of steering and speed.

Yeah i've found that when I'm thinking ahead of where I'm going and stuff that i feel a lot calmer because i know when to start stopping etc however if my instructor doesn't tell me until its like the time to start stopping that we're going a certain way then i start panic!

Not yet, i'm sure we'll get round to some soon!
Reply 8
Original post by affluentmakaveli
Keep learning to drive.

Try meditation or try reading a book that is based on overcoming drivers' nerves, that is what I did.

Yeah i'm trying not to make it make me stop but I'm really starting to hate it!!

Any recommendations?
Original post by R__Elliott
Yeah i'm trying not to make it make me stop but I'm really starting to hate it!!

Any recommendations?

I had the same problem as you're having.

First, I have to say please do not stop driving, as after a while you will get used to it, and the nerves will slowly disappear.

If you really need the help;

Try YouTube and look for relaxation videos based on driving, many people have this problem and that usually solves it.

If that is not your cup of tea;

Try;

Purchase one or both books...

How to overcome your fear of driving.
Or
Driving Test Nerves

I am sure there are more on the subject but these are the two I am familiar with.

In fact I read the first one.

Otherwise;
Keep building your standard of driving by going to areas you find challenging, do not just shy away from challenges, because after all we all make mistakes when you go for the challenge, at first it seems difficult and after a while it will become natural.
Reply 10
Original post by affluentmakaveli
I had the same problem as you're having.

First, I have to say please do not stop driving, as after a while you will get used to it, and the nerves will slowly disappear.

If you really need the help;

Try YouTube and look for relaxation videos based on driving, many people have this problem and that usually solves it.

If that is not your cup of tea;

Try;

Purchase one or both books...

How to overcome your fear of driving.
Or
Driving Test Nerves

I am sure there are more on the subject but these are the two I am familiar with.

In fact I read the first one.

Otherwise;
Keep building your standard of driving by going to areas you find challenging, do not just shy away from challenges, because after all we all make mistakes when you go for the challenge, at first it seems difficult and after a while it will become natural.

Thank you so much i'll have a look into all the stuff you mentioned!
Yeah i'll try not make it make me want to quit!
Reply 11
Original post by R__Elliott
I'm glad im not the only one! Ah right best of luck when it comes!!

Thank you for that advice, i'll try and do something like that the next time I have a lesson! Sometimes just feel like I'm holding people up etc as a learner driver :frown:

No problem :smile: Don't feel like you're holding people up at all! Remember that you are actually a learner driver when everyone else has been driving for some time and are experienced. Apparently it takes about 5 years to actually become like a proper experienced driver who knows exactly what they're doing.

So we'll definitely get there! :biggrin:
Original post by LouOla
No problem :smile: Don't feel like you're holding people up at all! Remember that you are actually a learner driver when everyone else has been driving for some time and are experienced. Apparently it takes about 5 years to actually become like a proper experienced driver who knows exactly what they're doing.

So we'll definitely get there! :biggrin:

UWOTM8?
I'm the same. Even when the roundabout is completely empty I'll still double check with my instructor if I can go lol. But in my last few lessons I've been trying to be more assertive and doing what I think is right and I find just acting confident is helping, plus I know my instructor can slam the brakes on if he needs to.
Original post by LeaX
plus I know my instructor can slam the brakes on if he needs to.

That's really not a good mindset to get into, it's like learning to move off with just the clutch. It's fine to do with your instructor, but you'll get a surprise when you're driving on your own.
Original post by TheMcSame
That's really not a good mindset to get into, it's like learning to move off with just the clutch. It's fine to do with your instructor, but you'll get a surprise when you're driving on your own.

I know I never intend on my instructor using them but it's best to learn confidence when you have somebody trained to sit next to you then pass and be a nervous driver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending