The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year. How should I re-apply?

I am extremely interested and determined to study (civil) engineering at Bath/Durham/Southampton/Warick/Heriot-Watt, however my grades from AS don't really project me keenness (CDDBC). I'm extremely aware of how much I messed up last year, but I know that this year I will achieve the average AAA* grades that the unis require.

Obviously, I cannot apply to my chosen universities with those grades and my CCB predicted grades, so I am willing to take a gap year. I'm just wondering how I would go about re-applying or should I just 'get off my high horse' and settle for other unis? Any replies would be amazing, and thanks in advance!!!
Reply 1
Just go to a uni, they wont make a difference unless you want to go into investment banking
Original post by yungisrael
I am extremely interested and determined to study (civil) engineering at Bath/Durham/Southampton/Warick/Heriot-Watt, however my grades from AS don't really project me keenness (CDDBC). I'm extremely aware of how much I messed up last year, but I know that this year I will achieve the average AAA* grades that the unis require.

Obviously, I cannot apply to my chosen universities with those grades and my CCB predicted grades, so I am willing to take a gap year. I'm just wondering how I would go about re-applying or should I just 'get off my high horse' and settle for other unis? Any replies would be amazing, and thanks in advance!!!

Well, you just apply next year...

In all seriousness, just work hard this year to get A*AA or better and then apply with achieved grades to the universities you're eligible for this time next year. It feels much nicer applying with grades in hand (like I'm doing) because I know that, if I get any offers, I won't have to worry about missing them because they will be unconditional (hopefully).

Don't apply this year, focus on smashing exams.

When applying on a gap year, ask if you can use your school as a reference (which involves just using their buzzword) and put down: the final qualifications you have achieved as well as your AS grades + GCSEs.

In essence, the only difference is if you have achieved your grades you will get unconditional offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why didn't you retake the year? That would have been a much easier option.
Reapplying in a gap year is pretty much the same as applying with your college. You apply as an independent student so you won't need a buzzword, you'll need a reference from a college tutor so stay in contact with one of them and everything else is the same.
Reply 5
Original post by dahl786
Just go to a uni, they wont make a difference unless you want to go into investment banking

Yeah, I always could just go to any uni.. but I guess I'm just a snob...
Reply 6
Original post by Hydeman
Well, you just apply next year...

In all seriousness, just work hard this year to get A*AA or better and then apply with achieved grades to the universities you're eligible for this time next year. It feels much nicer applying with grades in hand (like I'm doing) because I know that, if I get any offers, I won't have to worry about missing them because they will be unconditional (hopefully).

I will definitely work hard this year. My AS results were a shock and I cannot have a repeat of this again. Did you apply after a gap year? I'm just so confused about applying after gap years as my college's advice department was spectacularly unhelpful.
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
Don't apply this year, focus on smashing exams.

When applying on a gap year, ask if you can use your school as a reference (which involves just using their buzzword) and put down: the final qualifications you have achieved as well as your AS grades + GCSEs.

In essence, the only difference is if you have achieved your grades you will get unconditional offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will do!! Thanks for the advice!!!
I will definitely work hard this year. My AS results were a shock and I cannot have a repeat of this again. Did you apply after a gap year? I'm just so confused about applying after gap years as my college's advice department was spectacularly unhelpful.

I'm currently at the start of my gap year (I did my A2 exams in June) and will be applying next month for medicine. You don't apply after a gap year unless you want to take two (or more) gap years. You apply during your gap year for courses that start the following year. For example, I've just finished my A-levels and am on a gap year and the courses that I'm applying for start in 2016. There's also another option called 'deferred entry' where, I can still apply this year, but for entry in 2017 although I'm not going to do that (two gap years are a bit much for me).

I suggest you have a look at www.ucas.com for more information. You seem to have been very poorly advised on this and reading the help sections on that website will be useful, I think. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by cherryred90s
Why didn't you retake the year? That would have been a much easier option.
Reapplying in a gap year is pretty much the same as applying with your college. You apply as an independent student so you won't need a buzzword, you'll need a reference from a college tutor so stay in contact with one of them and everything else is the same.

My college aren't too keen on allowing students to retake the first year. Either you pass and carry on to A2, or you fail and you're kicked out... preparing us for the real world, I guess??

Thanks for the advice, I will have a speak to my senior tutor and persuade them that a gap year is my best (and only) option.
Reply 10
Original post by Hydeman
I'm currently at the start of my gap year (I did my A2 exams in June) and will be applying next month for medicine. You don't apply after a gap year unless you want to take two (or more) gap years. You apply during your gap year for courses that start the following year. For example, I've just finished my A-levels and am on a gap year and the courses that I'm applying for start in 2016. There's also another option called 'deferred entry' where, I can still apply this year, but for entry in 2017 although I'm not going to do that (two gap years are a bit much for me).

I suggest you have a look at www.ucas.com for more information. You seem to have been very poorly advised on this and reading the help sections on that website will be useful, I think. :smile:

Ahhh right. Thanks very much for the help!!! Poorly advised? Not even advised at all. I went to seek help today at college and they stuck two fingers up and turned the other way.
Ahhh right. Thanks very much for the help!!! Poorly advised? Not even advised at all. I went to seek help today at college and they stuck two fingers up and turned the other way.

Haha, sorry to hear that. xD Some colleges are just very unhelpful. :/
Reply 12
Take a gap year, resit and apply for foundation year starts at uni's like manchester/Nottingham/Leeds. Great uni's. Might seem like an extra two years but it'd be worth it
Reply 13

What were your Maths and Physics grades at AS? Those are the ones in particular you need to get to A*A if you are planning on applying to Bath/Durham/etc.

I presume you will be retaking some units? And dropping some subjects?

There's absolutely no point taking 5 to A2, especially if you are retaking some. The workload is much too high, and unnescessary.

Focus on Maths & Physics plus 1 other. Drop the rest. Do well. Apply with good A-level grades in hand. Then enjoy your gap year (ideally by getting an engineering placement...)
Reply 14
Original post by jneill
What were your Maths and Physics grades at AS? Those are the ones in particular you need to get to A*A if you are planning on applying to Bath/Durham/etc.

I presume you will be retaking some units? And dropping some subjects?

There's absolutely no point taking 5 to A2, especially if you are retaking some. The workload is much too high, and unnescessary.

Focus on Maths & Physics plus 1 other. Drop the rest. Do well. Apply with good A-level grades in hand. Then enjoy your gap year (ideally by getting an engineering placement...)

I got a C in Maths (B, A and D) and a D in Physics (D and B). I will be definitely resitting C1, Mechanics and Unit 1 Physics. I never really struggled, I just spent the year fluctuating between As and Us. I'm going to presume it was due to too much work.

For A2 I'm just taking Physics, Maths and Art. Thanks for the advice!!
Reply 15
Original post by AR_95
Take a gap year, resit and apply for foundation year starts at uni's like manchester/Nottingham/Leeds. Great uni's. Might seem like an extra two years but it'd be worth it

I did consider a foundation year, but I would much rather acquire the grades I know I can get, by actually doing the work and getting my head down this year. Thanks for the advice though!!
Reply 16
I got a C in Maths (B, A and D) and a D in Physics (D and B). I will be definitely resitting C1, Mechanics and Unit 1 Physics. I never really struggled, I just spent the year fluctuating between As and Us. I'm going to presume it was due to too much work.

For A2 I'm just taking Physics, Maths and Art. Thanks for the advice!!

No problem.

Art is less good for engineering. It also requires a high workload to create your portfolio... what are your other potential subjects?
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
No problem.

Art is less good for engineering. It also requires a high workload to create your portfolio... what are your other potential subjects?

Art is my only potential subject. I am committed to keeping on top of the workload this year. I've looked into universities for civil engineering and they only require Maths and Physics. =Oxbridge and Imperial insist on another science or Maths, whereas Bath prefers Arts and Humanities.
Reply 18
Art is my only potential subject. I am committed to keeping on top of the workload this year. I've looked into universities for civil engineering and they only require Maths and Physics. =Oxbridge and Imperial insist on another science or Maths, whereas Bath prefers Arts and Humanities.

Good luck. (And there's always architecture... :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending