The Student Room Group

Which college to choose to study Mathematics and phylosophy?

I am thinking of applying mathematics and Philosophy at St John's college or St Anne's College. It seems St John's did not take any undergraduate in 2011-2013. Dose anyone have any information about the course in these 2 colleges? Or should I consider any other college? Thanks a lot.
Original post by Weny
I am thinking of applying mathematics and Philosophy at St John's college or St Anne's College. It seems St John's did not take any undergraduate in 2011-2013. Dose anyone have any information about the course in these 2 colleges? Or should I consider any other college? Thanks a lot.

You're right that St John's hasn't had any Maths & Philosophy students for the last few years. There just haven't been any applicants who are strong enough mathematicians! Apply to wherever you like the look of :smile:
Original post by Weny

You'll be taught the exact same course by the exact same people irrespective of which college you choose. The only effect your college choice will have on the academic side of things is that it will influence who leads your tutorials (at least for the start of your degree) but that probably won't make a particularly big different since you're still going through the same content.
Reply 3
Thank you very much for your information! The only way I know a college is from internet as I am overseas. I choose these 2 colleges as they are close to both math and philosophy faculty on the map. St Johns did not import any from other college either. How do they distribute candidates whom did not get in the first preference? The student is asked for their preference or they are just randomly put to any college? My math has to be as good as these who apply for math only to get in M& P? Many Thanks.
Reply 4
Also all undergraduate philosophy degrees are combined that means If the other subtlest is a bit weaker you are unable to get in philosophy at all. Is it right?
Reply 5
sorry should be "subject"
Original post by Weny
If the other subtlest is a bit weaker you are unable to get in philosophy at all. Is it right?
Original post by Weny
My math has to be as good as these who apply for math only to get in M& P? Many Thanks.

Yes that's how it works. If you want to study philosophy alone, there are some other universities that offer it on its own.
Original post by Weny
Thank you very much for your information! The only way I know a college is from internet as I am overseas. I choose these 2 colleges as they are close to both math and philosophy faculty on the map. St Johns did not import any from other college either. How do they distribute candidates whom did not get in the first preference? The student is asked for their preference or they are just randomly put to any college? My math has to be as good as these who apply for math only to get in M& P? Many Thanks.

All of the colleges have lots of information about them on their website (lots of them have virtual tours where you can see 360 panoramas around their grounds) so I suggest you research them well. There's quite a big difference between St. John's and St. Anne's I think! And as far as I'm aware, if they decide to take you but there's no space left in the college you applied to, they "randomly" allocate you to a college that does have space.
Reply 8
Original post by Weny
Also all undergraduate philosophy degrees are combined that means If the other subject is a bit weaker you are unable to get in philosophy at all. Is it right?

Original post by fluteflute
Yes that's how it works. If you want to study philosophy alone, there are some other universities that offer it on its own.

*cough* Cambridge *cough*

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for all ! In what way St. Anne and St. John are different? academic , students or tutors? living cost,accommodation ? St John is a bit higher at Norrington table. which one has more international students? If I am not living at college during school holidays dose the college provide any storag space where I can put my stuff? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending