The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

should have got a baby sitter

would have cost a lot less
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Surely all young children who go missing should attract the greatest possible attention and concern?

I think that's part of the problem, so many other missing children don't have a fraction of this attention or resources.
Her parents weren't really posh - they are doctors, but they come across as people from working class backgrounds in both cases.

The stuff about them being stupid, leaving their door unlocked, is very victim-blaming. They felt safe in what was supposedly a well secured overall environment. Loads of parents have done similar things and had small lapses of care from time to time in that way. The difference in this case was presumably that a clever paedophile or gang of them were lurking to take advantage.

Sorry, I'm no parent but even I know not be so stupid to leave a 3 year old by her self - let alone in an unlocked room in Portugal. She was 3 for god sake, I have a 3 year old niece - they know absolutely NOTHING. How could they be so stupid?

No environment is truly safe for a child, there always has to be someone there who you trust to look after them. You cant leave a child because you assume that he/she is in a safe environment.

Anyone that thinks that the world will EVER be safe enough to leave a 3 year old on her own isn't ready to have kids. The real victim here is Madeleine, her parents are victims of their own mistakes. Thats a fact. They deserve to be blamed. .
Leaving your little girl in a room unlocked whilst you're off for dinner with some mates...... it's just ridiculous what the parents have done. Waste of 10 million.

Her parents weren't really posh - they are doctors, but they come across as people from working class backgrounds in both cases.

The stuff about them being stupid, leaving their door unlocked, is very victim-blaming. They felt safe in what was supposedly a well secured overall environment. Loads of parents have done similar things and had small lapses of care from time to time in that way. The difference in this case was presumably that a clever paedophile or gang of them were lurking to take advantage.

I feel safe at home and in no circumstance would i do what they done, I know hindsight is 20-20 but what they done was naive at the least and incredibly stupid. Wherever you are there are dangers and those of us who live in the real world would take steps to limit these and not leave kids in an unlocked room where any random person could pick them up.

Defending them is farcical at best
So much harshness in the comments so far. Surely it's better to spend money on this than on big cars for government ministers, lavish foreign trips for MPs or any of the other more absurd things taxpayer money gets wasted on?

There also seems to be a strange thing that goes on with this case, that because she isn't a black or working class child, we shouldn't care. Surely all young children who go missing should attract the greatest possible attention and concern?

I didn't think there would be a genuine comment on this sickening thread until I saw yours. I'd rather money went to these missing children investigations than a lot of the money we waste on other things.
Reply 26
Original post by Gears265
I didn't think there would be a genuine comment on this sickening thread until I saw yours. I'd rather money went to these missing children investigations than a lot of the money we waste on other things.

The point isn't that millions shouldn't be spent on finding missing kids. That's good honourable work. The thing I oppose is spending so much one one particular child compared to pittance on another. Why is this girl so special? She's not. So she doesn't deserve better treatment than any other missing children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
The point isn't that millions shouldn't be spent on finding missing kids. That's good honourable work. The thing I oppose is spending so much one one particular child compared to pittance on another. Why is this girl so special? She's not. So she doesn't deserve better treatment than any other missing children.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a good point. It would be interesting if someone found some statistical data to show the average sum of money spent on finding a missing child and then compare it to the total spent on McCann.
Reply 28
Even if it were hopeless, giving up would communicate to abductors that Britain won't pursue you if it takes too much time or money. That's not what we should be saying - we should say that if you abduct one of our citizens, we'll chase you to the ends of the earth.
Reply 29
Original post by miser
Even if it were hopeless, giving up would communicate to abductors that Britain won't pursue you if it takes too much time or money. That's not what we should be saying - we should say that if you abduct one of our citizens, we'll chase you to the ends of the earth.

McCann isn't the only British child this has happened to. Just the most publicised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miser

Have you been reading this thread?
Reply 31
Original post by justag
McCann isn't the only British child this has happened to. Just the most publicised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, so it's the one people will be paying attention to.
You hear a lot about this girl and her family getting special treatment etc. - does anyone actually know how many other young children that have gone missing in the last 15 years and not been found?

Like, are we/the media/the authorities really ignoring other cases?? Or is this thankfully just a rare occurrence?
Reply 33
Original post by miser

Ok, thanks for stating the obvious. The point is, that's not how investigating missing kids should work. You shouldn't spend millions on one child and a fiver on another.

Read the thread, you obviously haven't bothered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miser

So it is saying to abductors that even if they pour £10 million into finding you they still wont you.
Reply 35
Original post by justag
Ok, thanks for stating the obvious. The point is, that's not how investigating missing kids should work. You shouldn't spend millions on one child and a fiver on another.

Read the thread, you obviously haven't bothered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have read the thread, I just hold a different opinion to you. This is a false equivalence fallacy - just because £10m is spent on Madeleine McCann doesn't mean we can't spend what is appropriate on others. The fact is that this particular case holds a space in the public interest that other cases don't, and it's reasonable that this should make it eligible for additional revenue.
Reply 36
Original post by miser
I have read the thread, I just hold a different opinion to you. This is a false equivalence fallacy - just because £10m is spent on Madeleine McCann doesn't mean we can't spend what is appropriate on others. The fact is that this particular case holds a space in the public interest that other cases don't, and it's reasonable that this should make it eligible for additional revenue.

Why does it hold a space in the public interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The above is not even relevant without evidence that the sum of money spent is unreasonable or is unreasonably higher than is spent on other missing children.
Reply 38
Original post by DiddyDec
So it is saying to abductors that even if they pour £10 million into finding you they still wont you.

Still, that's a better message than "we won't even try."
Reply 39
Original post by justag
Why does it hold a space in the public interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it (perhaps unfairly) received a lot of media attention and a lot of people empathised with and became interested in the case.

Latest

Trending

Trending