The Student Room Group

Things you wish you knew when you started studying Law

I'm starting Law on my Access course next week, and was looking for some advice on do's and don'ts of studying this particular subject.
I've got a few textbooks and am trying to familiarise myself with the law jargon.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
how dull it is
how much being a solicitor sucks
not to take it lol
Original post by Livvyxo
I'm starting Law on my Access course next week, and was looking for some advice on do's and don'ts of studying this particular subject.
I've got a few textbooks and am trying to familiarise myself with the law jargon.

which college are you at?
what subjects do you hav to take on the Access course?
Which universities are you thinking of applying?
Apparently if you want to get in law, its better if you do gov and pol.
Law is one of the most easiest subjects
its basically remembering cases and writing them in the exam and theres a thinking exam. but many find it boring as hell. i started it myself and its boring! but everyone has their own interests. i would say pick something worth it. Law as an a level is so un appreciated by universities.
Reply 5
Original post by Livvyxo

Wish I knew that insane people shouldn't go into law EVER, because it will drive them even more insane, and they will quit whilst still in a trainee solicitor stage.
Wasted over 4 years of my life.
Reply 6
Original post by Alexandra675
its basically remembering cases and writing them in the exam and theres a thinking exam. but many find it boring as hell. i started it myself and its boring! but everyone has their own interests. i would say pick something worth it. Law as an a level is so un appreciated by universities.

What you're saying about law being easy is extremely caricatural and misleading. It's not basically remembering cases and writing them in the exam. If that were it we'd all get firsts wouldn't we?
Original post by Ciel.
Wish I knew that insane people shouldn't go into law EVER, because it will drive them even more insane, and they will quit whilst still in a trainee solicitor stage.
Wasted over 4 years of my life.

Please tell your story.
Reply 8
Original post by yastyb
What you're saying about law being easy is extremely caricatural and misleading. It's not basically remembering cases and writing them in the exam. If that were it we'd all get firsts wouldn't we?

I'm totally agreeing with yastyb here. But in response to Livvyxo, it's all about time management and upholding that throughout the year. In your access course you'll probably doing Contract, Tort, Public and English Legal System (there could be a few more modules but you get the idea). Make enough time for each module and do the reading. Also after your tutorials, I'd recommend you consolidate over your work.

Just PM me if you need any help, I'm more than happy to check over work or answer any queries :smile:

(I'm a final year LLB student atm) :cry:
Original post by yastyb

The guy who said this means A level law, with regards to getting on a Law degree! Not a Law degree getting a legal career :tongue:
How hard you have to try to force yourself to like it so you don't get insane.
Reply 11
Original post by tehforum
Please tell your story.

Not much to tell really. It made everything so much worse. Studying wasn't bad - it was actual work that 'killed' me.. Couldn't cope with the stress. People with mental health issues just shouldn't go into law, it's so destructive.
Original post by Pariah
how dull it is
how much being a solicitor sucks

Are you a solicitor? If not, what stage are you at?

Original post by Ciel.
Not much to tell really. It made everything so much worse. Studying wasn't bad - it was actual work that 'killed' me.. Couldn't cope with the stress. People with mental health issues just shouldn't go into law, it's so destructive.

I know that feel in a manner of speaking, given that I'm only just a third seater - but I hear it gets easier once you qualify. Even on bad days I find it's a case of taking it one day at a time and plugging away at the gap to qualification, since at least then I can actually assess whether I want to leave law without being unable to come back to it easily.

It certainly isn't the right career for everyone though - kudos for having the courage of your convictions to do what you needed to do. :moon:
Reply 13
Original post by Blackacre

I know that feel in a manner of speaking, given that I'm only just a third seater - but I hear it gets easier once you qualify. Even on bad days I find it's a case of taking it one day at a time and plugging away at the gap to qualification, since at least then I can actually assess whether I want to leave law without being unable to come back to it easily.

It certainly isn't the right career for everyone though - kudos for having the courage of your convictions to do what you needed to do. :moon:

I thought that things will get easier but unfortunately, that wasn't the case with me. Hope things will turn out better for you.
i start llb law tomorrow. This thread has been good for moral support ...
Reply 15
Original post by Alexandra675

Sorry but if you found that law was basically just reading cases and replicating them in the exam you either didn't do it right or your course was too easy.
Original post by *Stefan*
Sorry but if you found that law was basically just reading cases and replicating them in the exam you either didn't do it right or your course was too easy.

She's talking about A level.
Reply 17
Original post by tehforum
She's talking about A level.

Wait... Is this the right subforun for this?
Reply 18
Original post by Blackacre

i was a solicitor for 15 years - i qualified in the west end doing general co/co work and spent 13 years at a large regional doing corporate

it's ok for a while and it good money for the moderately clever but risk averse, but the profession (at least private practice commercial work) is rammed with w***ers
If it is truly something you feel passionate towards and don't want to just do it for the money .. You'll love it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending