The Student Room Group

Allergic to anti-histamines FML (medicine advice)

Allergies are really getting outta control. Yesterday, my ears were itchy, so took Benadryl like 2 hours later. 30 mins later, my cheeks, ears, neck were all itchy, and a tight throat, headache. I couldn't sleep at all!!! And now I still feel itchy, headache, sick, with a tight throat. I'm thinking it must have been the Benadryl? I didn't know its possible I mean it is an anti-histamine. Could it be the diphenhydramine, as the body doesn't naturally produce this? or the colorants etc within the tablet.I don't know what to do now. I need something to stop this allergy, but don't know what to take..
What allergy is it that you're trying to medicate against? Have you been to your GP?

That reaction to the Benadryl sounds potentially worrying so I wouldn't attempt to use it again. Maybe read the leaflet to see what it says about reactions to the medicine but with reactions such as tight throat I would personally be seeking medical advice.

There are different types of anti-histamine and not all types will necessarily work for every person.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Basically, I was trying to treat contact dermatitis. But, I think the Benadryl (diphenhydramine) gave me rashes and burning skin. The next day I tried another type of antihistamine which then didn't help, it was still burning. So, im scared to take any antihistamine now :\

Original post by Sazzy890
What allergy is it that you're trying to medicate against? Have you been to your GP?

That reaction to the Benadryl sounds potentially worrying so I wouldn't attempt to use it again. Maybe read the leaflet to see what it says about reactions to the medicine but with reactions such as tight throat I would personally be seeking medical advice.

There are different types of anti-histamine and not all types will necessarily work for every person.
What was the other one you took? Maybe the active ingredient was the same as benadryl is just a brand name not the type of antihistamine.

I'd personally go to a doctor rather than self-medicating here.

Quick Reply

Latest