The Student Room Group

Unite Plymouth deposit robbers

Warning, before you leave your accomodation, take pictures of every wall. They want to retain £70 of my deposit to repaint 2 walls. They have shown me pictures of said walls (could be any walls!) One faint scuff, could easily be removed with a baby wipe, the other mark appears to be a slight hole/dent..I do not recall ever seeing this...honestly. But to charge £45 PER WALL!
Just a complete scam.
the place was not in great shape when I moved in, I left the bathroom in a much better state, maybe they should pay me.
Original post by muv
Warning, before you leave your accomodation, take pictures of every wall. They want to retain £70 of my deposit to repaint 2 walls. They have shown me pictures of said walls (could be any walls!) One faint scuff, could easily be removed with a baby wipe, the other mark appears to be a slight hole/dent..I do not recall ever seeing this...honestly. But to charge £45 PER WALL!
Just a complete scam.
the place was not in great shape when I moved in, I left the bathroom in a much better state, maybe they should pay me.

Did you show them photos of when you moved in? Did you take any?
Reply 2
muv
OP
Sadly not, we were not savvy at that stage, just assumed that it was a normal state of affairs, nothing obviously no graffiti or such, the odd slight scuff, what you would expect really. There is no way the slight marks they say and show are there warrant a complete repaint. After living there for a year I was not aware of anything significant. Halls handbook state that throughout the year they are supposed to check rooms and alert you to any issues. This never happened, had someone said there is a faint scuff on the wall, I would have easily removed it with one of those magic erasor things. It is a big con.
Original post by Roving Fish
Did you show them photos of when you moved in? Did you take any?
Original post by muv
Sadly not, we were not savvy at that stage, just assumed that it was a normal state of affairs, nothing obviously no graffiti or such, the odd slight scuff, what you would expect really. There is no way the slight marks they say and show are there warrant a complete repaint. After living there for a year I was not aware of anything significant. Halls handbook state that throughout the year they are supposed to check rooms and alert you to any issues. This never happened, had someone said there is a faint scuff on the wall, I would have easily removed it with one of those magic erasor things. It is a big con.

Sadly it is most definitely not just Unite, it's most landlords. The trick is to photograph every mark and scuff that is around before you even unpack. :smile:
Reply 4
muv
OP
[Will be more aware next time. So annoying, especially as out flat last year put up with an oven that took ages to get hot, when reported we were told nothing wrong with it. Wish I had kicked up more of a fuss now, trouble is at 18, and away from home for the first time, you don't realise how you could/should have dealt with it differently. Wish I could put a huge poster up in all halls advising peeps to look at every tiny mark and complain and photograph it. I do not object to paying a small amount to sort out any mark, but £45 a wall...in magnolia, come on, it is a joke and a rip off. Disgraceful fleecing students like this.

QUOTE=Roving Fish;59420473]Sadly it is most definitely not just Unite, it's most landlords. The trick is to photograph every mark and scuff that is around before you even unpack. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending