The Student Room Group

C3 Trig

Struggling with trig again can anyone help me
Reply 1
image.jpgThis is the transition I don't understand
Reply 2
first step you flip both sides of the equation then in the next step you mutiply the top and bottom of the fraction by (secθ -tanθ)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Alex621
first step you flip both sides of the equation then in the next step you mutiply the top and bottom of the fraction by (secθ -tanθ)

Why would you multiply by secθ -tanθ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abby5001

Posted from TSR Mobile

to perform the transition...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you then expand the brackets you'll be able to use a trig identity to simplify the fraction
Reply 6
Original post by Alex621
If you then expand the brackets you'll be able to use a trig identity to simplify the fraction

Do you mind explaining in a bit more detail please step by step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once you get to 1/x = (secθ -tanθ) / (secθ + tanθ) (secθ - tanθ)

Expand (secθ + tanθ) (secθ - tanθ), to get sec2θ - tan2θ.

Now use the identity sec2θ = tan2θ + 1, to simplify it
Reply 8
Original post by Alex621
Once you get to 1/x = (secθ -tanθ) / (secθ + tanθ) (secθ - tanθ)

Expand (secθ + tanθ) (secθ - tanθ), to get sec2θ - tan2θ.

Now use the identity sec2θ = tan2θ + 1, to simplify it

Sorry I wasn't clear, I just meant can you explain how you get to 1/x = (secθ -tanθ) / (secθ + tanθ) (secθ - tanθ)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are trying to get the difference of two squares on the denominator.

It's a bit like rationalising the denominator when you multiply by the conjugate.
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
You are trying to get the difference of two squares on the denominator.

It's a bit like rationalising the denominator when you multiply by the conjugate.

Right I think I see it's just that I would never think to do this in an exam so it's quite confusing but thank-you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right I think I see it's just that I would never think to do this in an exam so it's quite confusing but thank-you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to hate trig questions in c3 because I never knew where to start but once you've looked at lots of questions you start to get an idea of what you need to do
Reply 12
Original post by Alex621
I used to hate trig questions in c3 because I never knew where to start but once you've looked at lots of questions you start to get an idea of what you need to do

That's good to know, so is multiplying by the conjugate something that is prevalent in c3 because I have never seen it aside from in surds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's good to know, so is multiplying by the conjugate something that is prevalent in c3 because I have never seen it aside from in surds?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never seen it before apart from surds but maybe different exam boards use it with trig?
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I've done this question recently - the method the markscheme used seem a little convoluted to me, I much prefer what I did!

x=secθ+tanθ=1cosθ+sinθcosθ=1+sinθcosθx = \sec \theta + \tan \theta = \frac{1}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} = \frac{1 + \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} and the continue from there converting everything into sines and cosines, collecting and then seperating and converting back to secs. (x + 1/x = 2 sec theta, right?)

Quick Reply

Latest