The Student Room Group

Do you give a thumbs up or thumbs down to Facebook's 'dislike' button?

Scroll to see replies

I don't like this however will be disliking most of my friends posts because I'm a great friend.
It's probably there partly to stop all the scam pages that use facebook to con people. These pages usually have loads of likes and positive comments on their posts even though it's a scam. This is because negative comments are deleted, and there's no other way to warn others.
why don't they just make like a pink sympathy button or something rather than a dislike button. That way ppl could be sensitive but it wouldn't lead to bullying :h:
I'd actually enjoy a dislike button. The honesty... the potential to troll.

I think me and my friends would wind each other up with it and it'd get quite light hearted... then you'd get the odd mini Hitler who goes round taking dislikes seriously but meh!
Reply 44
Original post by So Instinct
Of course not. But while I agree it's not necessary it is still a good thing, limiting ones expression to only positivity is limiting, fake and a misrepresentation of reality. Before the argument of unnecessary disliking or bullying comes into play, just delete them and ignore them- it's that simple, you should honestly have a thick enough skin to at least be able to do that because trust me the world gets a lot harder than that.

Places that only push positive opinions like TSR for example are only a reflection of the direction the internet and world are going in at the moment, what with political correctness gone made and social justice taking over anything that pushes an idea of having a thick skin or stronger character becomes abhorrent at the cost of freedom of speech and edgy character traits, with those involved being harassed into succumbing. While not everywhere serves to reflect reality (like TSR) I consider FB to be an online projection of ones real world activities, thoughts and feelings and as such should allow for that.

Anyway I digress, I fully expect a bunch of neckbeards and prepubescent teenagers to go on dislike crusades on risqué female pictures or individuals they don't like who are on their friends list for some reason- but at least then you know you need a better judgement of character and you can proceed to delete them out of your life and leave all the civilised maturer individuals there because those are the people you will want to surround yourself with. Consider it a lesson learnt.

Funny though, this is coming from someone who tends to avoid negativity in life.

Facebook is definitely not a reflection of reality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Facebook is definitely not a reflection of reality

Posted from TSR Mobile

"an online projection of ones real world activities, thoughts and feelings".
Reply 46
Original post by So Instinct
"an online projection of ones real world activities, thoughts and feelings".

"**While not everywhere serves to reflect reality (like TSR)** I consider FB to be an online projection of ones real world activities, thoughts and feelings"

Even if it wasn't your intention, your sentence is a comparison between sites that don't "serve to reflect reality" (TSR), and those that do (FB).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends entirely on their implementation of it. Knowing Facebook, my bet is that they'll do Natural Language Processing to guess the sentiment of a post (with the ability for the the poster to correct or manually set it). I dont see them just universally having a dislike button next to the like - that's not what people want; nor is it desirable. Some of the people that have posted in this thread have indicated very clearly their intentions to misuse such a feature, which I think would be quite toxic for Facebook.
Thumbs down - I think it's got too much potential for abuse.
Reply 49
Original post by CoolCavy
why don't they just make like a pink sympathy button or something rather than a dislike button. That way ppl could be sensitive but it wouldn't lead to bullying :h:

Awww! you really are a kind-hearted person. Facebook should hire you! :biggrin:
Would have repped but I've given out too much today apparently -___-
Original post by AzimH
Awww! you really are a kind-hearted person. Facebook should hire you! :biggrin:
Would have repped but I've given out too much today apparently -___-

aww thank u AzimH:colondollar:

no problem :h: and same it won't let me rep u :frown:
Reply 51
aww thank u AzimH:colondollar:

no problem :h: and same it won't let me rep u :frown:

-__- Y U DO DIS STUDENT ROOM! Anyway, have a great day! Just out of curiosity, Do you let your guinea pigs leave their cage unattended or in general? I know some who don't since their ones run everywhere! And sometimes even hide. Hehe just want to know if your do the same and how they generally behave :smile:
Original post by AzimH
-__- Y U DO DIS STUDENT ROOM! Anyway, have a great day! Just out of curiosity, Do you let your guinea pigs leave their cage unattended or in general? I know some who don't since their ones run everywhere! And sometimes even hide. Hehe just want to know if your do the same and how they generally behave :smile:

lol ikr there should be no rep caps :biggrin:

well bc mine are indoor guinea pigs this is what happens:

for most of the day the 2 females are in a HUGE cage and the male is in a slightly smaller one by himself.
Then at night i get them out and they run around the floor in their room (it is laminate :smile:). The veggies are spread on the floor and they all meet up, hang out and eat for about an hour. Then i clean both cages out and put them back.

They are very tame really, so they don't hide or anything and if something scares them like a noise then there are little 'pigloos' on the floor and cardboard houses which they can go into and once they calm down they scuttle back out again :h:

hope this helps :hugs:
Reply 53
lol ikr there should be no rep caps :biggrin:

well bc mine are indoor guinea pigs this is what happens:

for most of the day the 2 females are in a HUGE cage and the male is in a slightly smaller one by himself.
Then at night i get them out and they run around the floor in their room (it is laminate :smile:). The veggies are spread on the floor and they all meet up, hang out and eat for about an hour. Then i clean both cages out and put them back.

They are very tame really, so they don't hide or anything and if something scares them like a noise then there are little 'pigloos' on the floor and cardboard houses which they can go into and once they calm down they scuttle back out again :h:

hope this helps :hugs:

Lmao! I don't know why I found that funny. Maybe it's cause they sound/act like people. Aww bless him. He'll probably grow bigger. I can just imagine it now, they must treat him like their youngling when they're out. They sounds so adorable- maybe your converting me into a Guinea person :redface: You sound like a good carer :smile: Thanks for the info :jumphug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending