jamb97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
F(x) = e^x+k, x is a real number and k is a positive constant.

Find f(ln k), simplifying your answer.

I got e^ln k + k

Apparently this is then k+k=2k?

How does e^ln k turn into k?
joostan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamb97)
F(x) = e^x+k, x is a real number and k is a positive constant.

Find f(ln k), simplifying your answer.

I got e^ln k + k

Apparently this is then k+k=2k?

How does e^ln k turn into k?
e^{x} and \ln(x) are inverse functions, and f(f^{-1}(x))=x
jamb97
Rep:
?
(Original post by joostan)
e^{x} and \ln(x) are inverse functions, and f(f^{-1}(x))=x
Sorry but that didn't really help, can you explain a bit more?
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry but that didn't really help, can you explain a bit more?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3590219
jamb97
Rep:
?
I think I half understand now. I just find it easier if there's a process with steps to follow.

Say you have F(x)= e^x and F^-1(x)= ln (x).

Then if you do F^-1(F^(x)) then you get ln e^x. From here you can use the power rule to bring x to the front of the term, and then ln (e) cancels to 1 as e^1=e, 1*x = x.

But if you have F(F^-1(x)), you get e^ln(x). I can't see any method/process here other than simply following the rule that inverses applied to each other reverse each other. Is there any method or do you just follow that rule?
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think I half understand now. I just find it easier if there's a process with steps to follow.

Say you have F(x)= e^x and F^-1(x)= ln (x).

Then if you do F^-1(F^(x)) then you get ln e^x. From here you can use the power rule to bring x to the front of the term, and then ln (e) cancels to 1 as e^1=e, 1*x = x.

But if you have F(F^-1(x)), you get e^ln(x). I can't see any method/process here other than simply following the rule that inverses applied to each other reverse each other. Is there any method or do you just follow that rule?
at this stage it is more important to do rather than to deeply understand.
learn that

ln(ex) = x for all x
elnx = x for all positive x

the explanation is that

F(F-1(x)) = F-1(F()) =x (Identity function)

ex = exp(x)

lnex = ln(exp(x)) =x
elnx =exp(ln(x)) =x
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

What "rule" are you expecting?

The whole point of inverse functions is that they're defined to reverse the effect of your original function.

So if ln x and e^x are inverse functions of each other, then e^(ln x) = x and ln(e^x) = x. This will work as long as your functions are one-to-one over a particular domain because then it makes sense to talk about finding a unique inverse value.

(As an aside, this is the second question on this I've seen in a couple of days, and I've seen others like it before. Are teachers not teaching this concept properly now??)
Louisb19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like to think about it like this. ln|x| = the power which e is taken to such that it equals to x. e^lnx is the same as saying e to the power of what I just said. e to the power of the number which makes e to the power of it = x will just be x if you follow logic. Sorry that i explained this quite badly, it is hard to phrase in words!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (365)
59.06%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.34%
No- I want it (175)
28.32%
No- I don't want it (45)
7.28%

Watched Threads