The Student Room Group

Current NQTs and QTS 2015, Got advice?

Hey!

I've been wanted to get into teaching for a while now but I got a fairly easy contract working abroad till March 2016. Even though this means I can only start my teacher training next year, I'd like to try and get a head start on my application and work.

I've heard over and over again that teacher training/ first year can knock the wind right out of you! I've got atleast 5 months before I even need to start applying. I really want to do some extra work to help myself out in my first year. :biggrin:

I'm sure a lot of prospective teacher trainees would love the extra hints and tips too. So! Current teachers, NQTs or even first year PGCE students, got any advice? Things you wish you had done to make your training year a little easier?

PS: i'm looking to do Secondary Maths and Physics.

Many thanks!

Mandy
Hi, NQT here.
Any and all classroom experience you can get pre-PGCE is a massive bonus.

Plus (and you are going to think this is crazy) spending as much time with family and friends as possible.
Doing whatever you do to relax, be that a city break, a spa visit. Sports/hobbies/clubs or just reading a good book/watching your favourite films.

I am not kidding. During PGCE you may find yourself so busy that you neglect EVERYTHING else in your life. I didn't watch any of my favourite TV, didn't read any fiction (and I LOVE reading), barely saw friends and family.

(in the summer before my PGCE I tried to 'get ahead' by reading a bunch of teaching/PGCE related books from amazon...pretty much a waste of time and I wish I'd used it for 'life' things instead).
Original post by greenbeans123
(in the summer before my PGCE I tried to 'get ahead' by reading a bunch of teaching/PGCE related books from amazon...pretty much a waste of time and I wish I'd used it for 'life' things instead).

This.
Hi, NQT here.

Plus (and you are going to think this is crazy) spending as much time with family and friends as possible.
Doing whatever you do to relax, be that a city break, a spa visit. Sports/hobbies/clubs or just reading a good book/watching your favourite films.

I am not kidding. During PGCE you may find yourself so busy that you neglect EVERYTHING else in your life. I didn't watch any of my favourite TV, didn't read any fiction (and I LOVE reading), barely saw friends and family.

Seconded. (Well, thirded actually, since Mr M got there before me.)
Hi, NQT here.

Maths NQT here :smile:

Basically its been covered above!

I spent my summer convincing myself I needed to work to get ahead. Now the only bit that helped was the subject knowledge stuff. Everything else was covered in my training and therefore prior work was unnecessary.

So, classroom experience up until July will only help you in your PGCE. But once summer begins, spend time with your friends and family. Buy birthday cards and presents ready. Stock up on toiletries and all those little things you will run out of and keep forgetting to buy more of. Go shopping, invest in some business attire (Maths and Physics = hello bursary in October...!). Take a holiday. All these things will become scarce in your PGCE year and (as I am now finding) your NQT year too!

But most of all, allow yourself to get a little bit excited :smile:

Good luck!
Hello NQT's I require some advice please. I am a mature student (well will be) when I apply this year for a PGCE 2016 entry. I am a single parent and wondered how viable it is to do this course within my current situation. I have previously got on a course within the last 2 years and have put it off until I gathered more experience and talked to a lot of student teachers, NQT's and post NQT teachers.

Please advise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smartypantsj
Hello NQT's I require some advice please. I am a mature student (well will be) when I apply this year for a PGCE 2016 entry. I am a single parent and wondered how viable it is to do this course within my current situation. I have previously got on a course within the last 2 years and have put it off until I gathered more experience and talked to a lot of student teachers, NQT's and post NQT teachers.

Please advise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As well as posting in here, you might want to have a look in the mature students' forum, which has quite a lot of threads about studying as a single parent.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending