The Student Room Group

What Is Black?

Scroll to see replies

When I am normal I am yellow.

When I am angry I am Red.

When I am sick I am green.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sweet n Sour
I'm so over you. Obtuse as hell. Goodbye.
Google race then google panethnic, then go away.

This man claims to be black. Shaun King. BlackLivesMatter leader...
Original post by ubisoft
She has no answer for this, I asked her yesterday and she didn't answer then.

You're both intentionally being imperceptive. Also it is irrelevant to my thread post. This is why I redirected you fools to Google.
Original post by Proxenus
When I am normal I am yellow.

When I am angry I am Red.

When I am sick I am green.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay?
Original post by Saint-Saens

This man claims to be black. Shaun King. BlackLivesMatter leader...

If he was white, it would be racial dysphoria.

But this

I can accept as black :h:
I'm so over you. Obtuse as hell. Goodbye.
Google race then google panethnic, then go away.

I'm not being obtuse, you are just wrong.

Panethnic does mean race either, so are still wrong.

Asian is not a race. You are wrong.
Reply 86
race2rās/nounnoun: race; plural noun: races

each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics."people of all races, colors, and creeds"synonyms:ethnic group, racial type, origin, ethnic origin, color"students of many different races"

a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.

Using your own definition:

Japanese and Iraqis don't have the same culture.
Japanese and Iraqis don't have the same history.
Japanese and Iraqis don't have the same language.

That's 0/3. Well done.

Now ignore this post because you don't have an answer :rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
If he was white, it would be racial dysphoria.

But this

I can accept as black :h:

He has two white parents and a tan

Original post by anonymouspie227
I think you've highlighted something important. If we look at Africa as an example of blackness then we will see the massive variety in physical characteristics and skin tones. Black people as I've said before are not monolithic exhibiting the same features and behaviours.
I think because of the great variety in those who are considered black the initial constructed boxes or race are becoming harder to define. When I look at my black friends who vary in shade and features I think to myself what makes us black? it certainly isn't culture because to suggest that black people have the same culture makes the assumption they were raised in the same environment.
I look at my friends high cheekbones, low cheekbones, dark and light skin, coloured eyes (yes, and this individual is not of mixed "race":wink:, and I say to myself what is blackness?

I think blackness is defined by society, you don't look like white skinned people (although some black people do) so you are black. But its weird, because we're all part of the same species- we can reproduce and have fertile offspring (A level biology thankyou) but seriously, why the need to stratify and organise us in certain catergories which lead to obvious discrimination. At the same time, people define your blackness on how you behave- you act white, you act black- which in itself are disgusting statements propagating negative stereotypes and attributing what is considered good behaviour to white people only.

Some regard blackness as living a shared experience- that is why some Asian people identify as politically black. I am not sure of this because the experience of oppression varies between ethnic minorities- the experience is not shared entirely and there is anti- blackness in Asian communities.

I think its a very interesting topic.

I think you put this better than I did but you touched on things I didn't touch on but always think about, namely the Asians identifying as black sometimes; oh I did mention people do that for whether an honest or dishonest reason. And yes the experiences aren't the same; I hate piggybacking off what black Africans have been through, while then being prejudiced to them.

I will just ignore anyone who says "act black, act white." Sometimes it has merit...I guess. I don't know lol I hate that topic, I believe in cultural diffusion and sharing culture. But when it's used negatively like "you talk white." Excuse me? Since when does educated and pronouncing your letters equal white and since when are other groups excluded from being educated.

Yes, I believe black variety is underrated or conveniently ignored. I also agree with people saying, "why does it matter?" But it does matter unfortunately and we have to make sense of it. I agree the racial classification is...I mean, I'll look it up why it's even a thing in the first place. The start of saying you are white, you are black, is when I feel the world got ruined.

Lol at A level biology. Thanks also for responding with something worthwhile :hugs:
Original post by Saint-Saens
He has two white parents and a tan

I looked him up and can't find his parents; show me his parents.
But as I said, if he's white and claiming black, it's racial dysphoria and irrelevant. Thanks.
Isn't that why we have ethnicity and race? Ethnicity involves ancestral origins, culture etc whereas race is just the division of humankind based on common features.
Original post by queen-bee
So now East Africans consider themselves to be Caucasian?

technically Somali people are Caucasian in terms of scientific and genomic classification.

white (social construct) does not = Caucasian (race)

Somali people are black (social construct)

Somalis cannot be classified as negroid race due to them not meeting the negroid classification status whereas they fit more into the Caucasian classification.

Also Somalis are NOT related to Arabs, the closest people to Arabs Somalis have any affiliation with is the Berbers in North Africa.

so much ignorance here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can look that up for you...

You don't need to, I pretty much explained it in the post :tongue:

Though why there's winky face there is baffling. I'm guessing I made a boo-boo.
Original post by Drunk Punx
You don't need to, I pretty much explained it in the post :tongue:

Though why there's winky face there is baffling. I'm guessing I made a boo-boo.

I was just thinking about your post. Ok what is the history of racial classification, then?
Original post by Docjones1
Isn't that why we have ethnicity and race? Ethnicity involves ancestral origins, culture etc whereas race is just the division of humankind based on common features.

I get that.

This is about racially how you see certain people. Not ethnically. This is about being ethnically variant from another ethnicity within the black race and the division within the black race.
Well I am of Nigerian heritage and believe people have this one drop mentally with especially blacks cus they don't care enough to think deeply about one's ethnic background. This is really due to America and how the mixed are considered black like obama, so the common "lighty" in america with golden skin smooth, wavey hair and green eyes is still considered black when they are actually very mixed with white. This doesn't mean I don't think "full" blacks have variation in skin colour or slightly in eye colour but when someone has long flowing natural hair and someone calls them black thats just bs. NO full african has that hair texture that is NOT an African phenotype. Having blue eyes also doesnt naturally occur in full blacks, thats bs too.

Anyway, I would refer to East Africans by whatever country their from but not really black cus they are heavily mixed with arabs which is why they look the way they do. However if they really wanna be called black I guess I will call them that especially if they have a lot of black phenotypes but I still wouldnt agree with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
I get that.

This is about racially how you see certain people. Not ethnically. This is about being ethnically variant from another ethnicity within the black race and the division within the black race.

??? There are different ethnicities in the 'black' race? That's the point.
Original post by missfats
technically Somali people are Caucasian in terms of scientific and genomic classification.

Somalis cannot be classified as negroid race due to them not meeting the negroid classification status whereas they fit more into the Caucasian classification.

Also Somalis are NOT related to Arabs, the closest people to Arabs Somalis have any affiliation with is the Berbers in North Africa.

so much ignorance here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look pretty negroid to me fam
Original post by missfats

so much ignorance here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes to being Caucasian and not being white. Caucasoid does not equal white and this is why whites do not want to be seen as Caucasian. Calling them Caucasian lasted as long as the H1N1 virus scare.
Yes to being black.
Yes to not being negroid, a type of black, not the only type of black; Aethiopid is a form of black and because of different bone structure from Negroid they are not seen as Negroid but are still black.
I'm glad we can agree there.
No one said Somalis are related to Arabs; I pointed out that it has been said that there is a shared bloodtype with Arabs between certain Habesha.
Where is the ignorance in the thread?
And we can also not just go by what I say and challenge it vapidly; as adults we can google for ourselves "Somali" and see the different types.
Original post by Docjones1
??? There are different ethnicities in the 'black' race? That's the point.

Ok, so if you are saying this you agree with me and therefore need not argue. You're confused because you probably haven't read the OP in full nor the thread to see what the argument is here.

Quick Reply

Latest