The Student Room Group

Hi, I'm studying Art, English and History and I want to be a physicist

I assume the title got your attention, so to start off with, I'm sure it's not an uncommon situation for a student to get an undesirable grade at GCSE and end up changing his/her subject choices for A-level, nor is it uncommon to not know what you want to do in the future when going into A-level, but In my case I knew what I wanted to do and it was jumbled up with clashing ideas of what I wanted to do (Arts vs Science and Maths) I studied harder than ever before for my GCSE and ended up going from D grades to A grades in some cases. For Maths I got B, for core science I got a B, but for additional science; I received a C grade, which was somewhat devastating but I figured I would be content with picking more 'creative subjects'. I wasn't.

I told one of the enrollment/teacher people that I wanted to be an animator in the future If I couldn't do physics and so they recommended to me the great, wonderful and well taught subject; ICT BTEC!
I took their recommendation on board and picked both single and double for that subject, I also picked Art and English (With the intention of going into the animation industry) and so began year 12.

The next year of my life played out a little bit like this:
"Hey sir, can you give me some pointers for this task?"
"Read the specification"
"I read the specification and I'm asking you to explain in more detail"
"Read the spec"
"But I-"
"Read it."

Essentially, I hated that subject (both technically)
Since it counted as 2 subjects I couldn't only drop one and stay in year 13, so I had to improvise. I asked if it was possible to drop both ICT'S and start a new AS subject at the start of Y13 and they said yes.

Sadly as the year went on I really started to doubt a career as an animator, I started completely losing interest in the field, I stopped animating at home and ICT really showed me how bland it would be to sit in front on a computer all day, slaving away at either written work, or constantly drawing new frames over the previous ones.
(Not trying to discourage anyone else from the career/subject)
It was at this point my adolescent existential crisis kicked in once again and I looked for a possibility of what I wanted in the future, I really saw nothing.

Physics was the only thing I really wanted to do back then that C grade in additional science has haunted me ever since GCSE results day.

I replaced I.T with History going into Y13 and now I'm just looking for options.

I tried to get into a bunch of different colleges (My sixth form wont let me restart my A levels) during the summer but I applied too late because my decision came too late, tried to go to enrollment, a bunch of **** happened, they couldn't get a reference from my school blah blah..

Essentially I want to study Physics and Maths somewhere where they would allow me into a course with that C, or find some secret bribery method to make teachers put me onto any course I want.

I'm done with the life story now, really I'm just looking for any advice or input anyone has on this, it would be really appreciated.

TL;DR: C in additional science, couldn't do physics, ICT teaches you how to read, dreams fade away, I like to complain, applied too late for colleges, love is evil.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
bump :frown:
Original post by animayo
bump :frown:

a friend of mine is in a similar situation. You could do a foundation year programme with a BSc, for physics =) That's what she is going to do
If all else fails teach yourself A level maths and physics from home. I don't know what you are interested in but if you want a good uni place do either further science, biology or chemistry for your third choice as universities LOVE the core sciences.
Reply 4
Original post by Xenon1305
a friend of mine is in a similar situation. You could do a foundation year programme with a BSc, for physics =) That's what she is going to do

Wow, this actually seems pretty promising, thank you so much!
Original post by animayo
I ....

Physics was the only thing I really wanted to do back then that C grade in additional science has haunted me ever since GCSE results day.

Essentially I want to study Physics and Maths somewhere where they would allow me into a course with that C, or find some secret bribery method to make teachers put me onto any course I want.

How about self-study? There are quite a few people on this site saying that they read ahead in the textbooks and look at youtube videos for teaching help.

Do you know how your marks in additional science split between the subjects? If it was Bio, Chem, Phys B, B, E then that would suggest that you might find physics quite hard, but if it was say C, C, A, then you should be able to get along in Physics....
Reply 6
Original post by Holmstock
How about self-study? There are quite a few people on this site saying that they read ahead in the textbooks and look at youtube videos for teaching help.

Do you know how your marks in additional science split between the subjects? If it was Bio, Chem, Phys B, B, E then that would suggest that you might find physics quite hard, but if it was say C, C, A, then you should be able to get along in Physics....

I've done some form of self study, But I wouldn't think that that could get me into a university, but I suppose a lot more is possible than I believe.

I do know my marks, I got a B in Biology and Physics and a C in chemistry
Original post by animayo
I've done some form of self study, But I wouldn't think that that could get me into a university, but I suppose a lot more is possible than I believe.

I do know my marks, I got a B in Biology and Physics and a C in chemistry

That sounds OK, then.

Remember though that to get the full A-level starting with this September's intake you would not take the Physics A-level until June 2017 (under the new two year specification).

There are adverts online for supported study online - eg this one offers an accelerated study to get the full A-level by June 2016

https://www.openstudycollege.com/courses/a-level-physics.html
Reply 8
Original post by Holmstock
That sounds OK, then.

Remember though that to get the full A-level starting with this September's intake you would not take the Physics A-level until June 2017 (under the new two year specification).

There are adverts online for supported study online - eg this one offers an accelerated study to get the full A-level by June 2016

https://www.openstudycollege.com/courses/a-level-physics.html

I think I can work something out with this, Thank you for the link :smile:
TL;DR, but regarding the title of this thread, I can help you. If your A Level Grades are good enough, you can do Physics with a foundation year. This is when your first year covers the basics in order to get you up to the standard of an A Level maths/physics student. You will most likely need grade A+ in science and maths GCSEs. Pass the foundation year and get a good degree, then you're well on your way to becoming a physicist.

Here are a few courses that might take your fancy. Make sure you look closely at the entry requirements.
https://www.york.ac.uk/physics/undergraduate/degree-courses/bsc-physics-foundation/#course-applying
http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/24/physics-with-a-foundation-year#!overview
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/physics/physics-foundation/
http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/physics/bsc-physics-with-foundation-year-f301/
[QUOTE=animayo;59418611

Hi animayo

We offer Foundation year courses for people who haven't got the A-Levels they need to get on to any science or engineering courses at Loughborough.

Have a look here for some further information http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sefs/foundation-year-programme/

And here will give you more detail on the entry requirements http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sefs/foundation-year-programme/entryrequirements/

Hope this helps
Vicky
Original post by animayo
x

Original post by Loughborough University
x

I second this. I did the SEFS (foundation year) at Loughborough and there were people who didnt study science A-levels wanting to study science at university, the foundation year effectively created a bridge that allowed them to study science.
Hello, I have a couple questions what A-levels are best if you want to get a physics degree. I am currently in year 11 taking my GCSE! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wwyeats
Hello, I have a couple questions what A-levels are best if you want to get a physics degree. I am currently in year 11 taking my GCSE! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say maths, further maths, physics and chemistry/computer science
Why do you think I should choose chemistry because originally I wanted to do Physics, Maths, English Literature and Philosophy it that just as good or? Any tips on that? do you study Physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wwyeats
Why do you think I should choose chemistry because originally I wanted to do Physics, Maths, English Literature and Philosophy it that just as good or? Any tips on that? do you study Physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi wwyeats

We ask for Maths and Physics and one other. It doesn't matter what that other A-level is (as long as it's not General Studies) so from our point of view - yes English Lit and Philosophy are just as good and would make no difference to your application over someone who had done Maths, Physics and Chemistry for instance.

Hope that helps :smile:

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest