The Student Room Group

Strength of Econ application?

Hi there,
I really want to apply for Economics at UCL or Warwick but I'm concerned that my application won't be as strong as other applicants. I've done 4 AS levels in Maths, Econ, Physics and Chem getting As in all of them and achieving 90+% in all of them and 93% average. I'll be predicted 3A*.I'm also doing an EPQ related to Economics this year.My personal statement is not going to be outstanding but it'll be decent. Is the lack of Further Maths going to greatly hinder my application? and should I considering taking a gap year where i do FM and then reapply next year. Or do I have a good shot at UCL and Warwick?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _JOKER_
Hi there,
I really want to apply for Economics at UCL or Warwick but I'm concerned that my application won't be as strong as other applicants. I've done 4 AS levels in Maths, Econ, Physics and Chem getting As in all of them and achieving 90+% in all of them and 93% average. I'll be predicted 3A*.I'm also doing an EPQ related to Economics this year.My personal statement is not going to be outstanding but it'll be decent. Is the lack of Further Maths going to greatly hinder my application? and should I considering taking a gap year where i do FM and then reapply next year. Or do I have a good shot at UCL and Warwick?

For Warwick and ucl no further maths shouldn't be an issue - I know people who got offers last year for those unis without it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
For UCL/Warwick Economics, having no further maths is actually quite normal. But the more competitive Cambridge/LSE economics degrees will definitely want further maths.
Reply 3
Original post by NinjaPandaa
For Warwick and ucl no further maths shouldn't be an issue - I know people who got offers last year for those unis without it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's reassuring:smile: I haven't done a lot of Economics related activities, do you think I've got a good chance purely based on my grades
Reply 4
Original post by Buses
For UCL/Warwick Economics, having no further maths is actually quite normal. But the more competitive Cambridge/LSE economics degrees will definitely want further maths.

Do you think I've got a good chance purely based on my grades because I don't have a lot of economics related activities to talk about on my personal statement?
Original post by _JOKER_
That's reassuring:smile: I haven't done a lot of Economics related activities, do you think I've got a good chance purely based on my grades

You need to make sure your personal statement - Warwick rejected loads of people with good grades last year for whatever reason - you should have read some books or done something else to show an interest in economics, maybe an epq?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by NinjaPandaa
You need to make sure your personal statement - Warwick rejected loads of people with good grades last year for whatever reason - you should have read some books or done something else to show an interest in economics, maybe an epq?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've read 3 books and I'm doing an EPQ related to economics. I've also been to one LSE public lecture. Would that be enough to secure a place?
Original post by _JOKER_
I've read 3 books and I'm doing an EPQ related to economics. I've also been to one LSE public lecture. Would that be enough to secure a place?

Well no-one on here will know if you'll definitely get in, but it sounds like you have a decent chance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending