The Student Room Group

Help with English Lit hw (again sorry)

Been asked to write 150 words about poem I like, I don't really read poetry so if anyone could recommended some poets, and what sort of thing should I write about 'why I like it?'
-Due tomorrow so need help ASAP.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here's a few: Shakespeare, Keats, Yeats, Shelley, Byron, Owen, Angelou, Armitage, Eliot, Wordsworth, Poe, Blake, Tennyson, Wilde, Heaney.

Write about what you like about the poem, why you like it, how it makes you feel, and why you have specifically selected that poem.
How about 'Stealing' by Carol Ann Duffy?
First line:
'The most unusual thing I ever stole? A snowman.'
(You can find it online).

Most people like that one, because it's not too poetic and quite cool. :cool:
Original post by Arkasia
Here's a few: Shakespeare, Keats, Yeats, Shelley, Byron, Owen, Angelou, Armitage, Eliot, Wordsworth, Poe, Blake, Tennyson, Wilde, Heaney.

Write about what you like about the poem, why you like it, how it makes you feel, and why you have specifically selected that poem.

lmfao, the thought of him reading Eliot for his 150 word write up.
Original post by banterboy

It's a she lol
Original post by 10studentlife
It's a she lol

oh lol.

I advise doing something like "futility" and you'll get easy notes from google about the techniques in it and stuff.
Carol Ann Duffy has some great poems that have tons to write about. Google her! Pick a poem and then google an analysis and use that as the basis for your homework.
Reply 7
Been asked to write 150 words about poem I like, I don't really read poetry so if anyone could recommended some poets, and what sort of thing should I write about 'why I like it?'
-Due tomorrow so need help ASAP.

One of my favourite short poems. Enjoy :smile:

The Reading Mother

I had a Mother who read me things
That wholesome life to a child's heart brings
Stories that stir with an upward touch
Oh that every Mother were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be.
I had a Mother who read to me.

by Strickland Gillilan
Reply 8

She could easily do a 12 line extract of the famous verse from The Wasteland, or Preludes, or Morning at the Window. Eliot's not that hard to get into.
Original post by Arkasia
She could easily do a 12 line extract of the famous verse from The Wasteland, or Preludes, or Morning at the Window. Eliot's not that hard to get into.

Anyone doing a 150 word homework and choosing their own poem is like in year 8.
When you say 'why you like it' what they're asking you to do is perhaps show some level of being able to analyse the construction of a poem and how that contributes to the overall feel, shape and meaning. Pick any poem. Any poem. You don't actually have to like it, just engage with it and try and explain what the mechanics of it are.

True, so someone with easier poems like Shakespeare/Kipling/Wordsworth then?
Original post by Arkasia
True, so someone with easier poems like Shakespeare/Kipling/Wordsworth then?

This girl jst wants to do her homework quickly without thinking about it, so as i said above, easy war poem and google.
Go on the buttonpoetry or slamfind youtube channel (they have contemporary spoken word poets). I think if you watch a couple videos and pick one that stands out to you then it will seem a lot more real & impressive to a teacher (like 'wow! this student actually watches new poets!') My favourites are Melissa Lozada-Oliva - "Like Totally Whatever" (NPS 2015), Fatimah Asghar - "Pluto Sh*ts on the Universe", and Neil Hilborn - OCD.
If you want an older poet, I suggest Walt Whitman, his poems are really feelgood & relatable. Or perhaps Allen Ginsberg (beatnik yeaaah!). I wouldn't go too old, unless you really do like the poem.

Why do you like it? What stands out about it? A poet has total control over their poem - did you think the structure of the poem was good. What are your views on the subject of the poem (is the poet 'correct in their views'). Picking out specific lines & analysing the meaning should be done. Just pick out things like tone, language style (direct, fancy, simplistic, yadda yadda yadda).

This is why I suggest a contemporary slam poet, because they'll often be about subjects you care about & you can see the poet's emotion.
op has probs done her hw now

I'm not in year 8 I just started my A Levels :smile:

Really? That's the ****ing easiest homework you're gonna get lol

Yeah I know!

lel