The Student Room Group

What Is Black?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sweet n Sour

I myself feel Ethiopians and Eritreans and Sudanese and Somalians to be black, I just feel mixing or indigeneous traits of one tribe, ethnicity or person differing from another aren't enough to mean you are or aren't something. I'm just annoyed 😩

Well then. We are on the same page. No need to get fastey with me heaux.
Original post by missfats
this Ethiopian girl seems to be obsessed with Somalis lol.

black is a social construct.
Stop getting angry at the other posters who are saying "end thread " because they have answered the title question "what is black".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Truths
I personally do.

My somalian friends also identify as black. Race is a social construct, the classification is arbitrary at it's core so it really shouldn't be a big debate anyway.

Do you class Somalis as black?

I identify as white with black splotches, ergo I am a dalmation.
Original post by Truths
Well then. We are on the same page. No need to get fastey with me heaux.

I wasn't being "fastey" and I'm not a "heaux." But ok :h:
Original post by Docjones1
I identify as white with black splotches, ergo I am a dalmation.

Pics, please.

Wow. She's stunning.
Your opinion :smile:

I already gave my opinion :tongue:

"Black" seems to be whatever people want it to be these days. A person with dark brown skin will say that a person with light brown skin isn't black despite not actually being black themselves.
If people are going to nitpick over colour then they should at least get it correct. Technically speaking I ain't even white; I'm more of a beige/cream colour. But then I have no pride about the colour of my skin because it's such an arbitrary aspect of my life that I had no control over :h:
Original post by Drunk Punx
I already gave my opinion :tongue:

"Black" seems to be whatever people want it to be these days. A person with dark brown skin will say that a person with light brown skin isn't black despite not actually being black themselves.
If people are going to nitpick over colour then they should at least get it correct. Technically speaking I ain't even white; I'm more of a beige/cream colour. But then I have no pride about the colour of my skin because it's such an arbitrary aspect of my life that I had no control over :h:

Agreed. *sighs*
Good one.

Not me fam. Never been with a black girl, just one arab
Original post by Saint-Saens
Not me fam. Never been with a black girl, just one arab

Ok fam.
Original post by ubisoft
How did it come about naturally?
And they're not considered the same race.

Because Irish people were separated for long enough from that their own culture, language and genetic constitution came about naturally. No one intentionally came up with Irish people as a concept like they did with black or white.

And yes both Greeks and Irish are considered white
Ok fam.

Not trying to be racist or offensive, just trying to show my multiculturalism.
Reported. :h:

Original post by missfats
delusional people lol.

Anyway, This Ethiopian girl seems to think I'm angry , so I think it's best to leave her thread to her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You two should have a pillow fight
Original post by Truths
Wow. She's stunning.

I would certainly drive my cock into her
What is it you disagree about? Disagreeing means discrediting it as true, but please do not discredit my experiences and those of others who are not accepted as black because of slight differences.
And if you're not Blasian then why wouldn't they consider you black...?

Anyway there is a deeper reason as to why Somalians and others from the Horn aren't seen as black. It is wedged in history as to whether there is concurrent Arabic blood types in Habesha people. But that is for official purposes. In common instances like one person to another I'm sure everyone has come across someone from East Africa or North Africa or Latin America or who is black/white who denies their nonwhite ancestry. As far as celebrities, the less insane mavericks will see it as a responsibility to openly embrace that they are (if not to say black-some say they are which I am partial about) "people of colour." Which is...nice...but...whatever.

I'm not partial about light skinned or naturally soft/long haired or bright eyed black people who have black parents saying they're black because that makes sense. I'm partial about people who are mixed saying they are black people because, well, that is literally a horse of a different colour. People who say that normally want black "benefits," and selfishly take from visibly black people or fully black people; I like to say, "skipping the queue for the dole." But I'm sure if you spoke to them you'd find them a walking paradox and conflicted about which side to identify with; they sadly feel there needs to be sides picked, especially if raised in a single parent. Regardless, they will be seen as favourites if they are nationally or internationally or officially seen as black as far as being hired or exalted as the standard for the race, and this is when I say this in real life and some black friends of mine are like "you're not black, shut up." Or "you're light skinned, be quiet, it's not your issue." My mother who is lighter than me and where I get most of my mix from even says it to me :s-smilie:

Yes, I agree that people will see certain Ethiopians as non black but those are the heavily mixed ones. We can look at

who I just found to be Ethiopian and then look at her

and now the eyes might grow a little fonder but then her

is the ideal.

However what pisses me off is there are inhabitants who aren't indigenous to an area but have the nationality/are nationals and thus are regarded as Ethiopian, etc. While this poor girl

who is truly Ethiopian will be disregarded. I however feels she is gorgeous but her religion probably will overlook whether she's a beauty or not because she might be arranged anyway, but whatever.

Lol ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't much to work with. Again what do you take issue with?
This isn't much to work with. Again what do you take issue with?

The last one is sexy
Original post by Saint-Saens
The last one is sexy

What?
What?

Last photo.
Yes, I am asking this question.

After being playfully shunned for "not being black" but shunned just the same out of a conversation some black friends of mine were having today, I asked if they were serious. They then commented on not my skin but hair. So now my hair not being exactly the same as theirs demerits my voice in a discussion about stereotypes of single black mothers?

Firstly, there are some people who look at someone and quickly class them as black because of light brown skin and dark curls or coils in their hair, simply. So you would see in their minds this man:

is seen as black

as well as someone like myself or this person:

While I have no issue with this because the men above clearly aren't white or oriental, I do know there are some people who do it out of ignorance of ethnicity. I also know there are others who would object to the second photo being seen as black. I also know some South Asians, mixed race people and Hispanics regard themselves as black for whatever honest or dishonest reasons they have.

Secondly, there are others who see a slight difference to the "pure African" person such as finer hair or lighter skin or thinner facial features and say that therefore makes them something else.

For example, Ethiopians/Eritrean people and certain Somalians aren't black to some people; others who are exhausted by the debate just bunch everyone together and ignore ethnicity and just dismiss them as black.

I have an issue with both types of people. I can't tell from the former person or the latter person who is indifferent and who is in denial.

Can black people not have variety without someone looking slightly different than the above photo being seen as not black?

Does this man

look like this man

(I googled Italian)

look like this man

look like this man?

No. But they are all seen as white.

Does this woman

look like this woman

look like this woman?

No. But they are all seen as Indian.

Do the women above look like this woman?

No. But they are all seen as Asian.

Is this type of person

or this person

or this person

or her

seen as black to some people?

Is he not black simply because of his eyes?

Well then what about him?

or her?

Now what?

We obviously can't do away with racial categories because it's for some reason a way for the government to identify and survey society. But why is there a stringent prototype to what black is or isn't? It's all dividing and conquering and I'd prefer not to participate in that.

When you apply light skin or light eyes or soft hair as not being black to your definition, you will find it doesn't work. So what exactly is it? There are people who become severely depressed or self hating because they aren't accepted as something racially all for the confusion of what a race is.

I myself feel Ethiopians and Eritreans and Sudanese and Somalians to be black, I just feel mixing or indigeneous traits of one tribe, ethnicity or person differing from another aren't enough to mean you are or aren't something. I'm just annoyed 😩

I completely get your point. Telling someone they are not 'pure' just makes them feel tainted. It's not a feeling I would wish on anyone. Being Black does not have a 'look' its a shared experience between people who derive from the same places.
Original post by brokenbassline
I completely get your point. Telling someone they are not 'pure' just makes them feel tainted. It's not a feeling I would wish on anyone. Being Black does not have a 'look' its a shared experience between people who derive from the same places.

Lol uncanny. Well I don't agree with the last sentence you said, because then that would mean everyone is black in some way, going beyond race and into sex and sexuality. Black to me is about skin colour. Not language, country, hair type, facial structure, culture, religion. Simply skin colour. You can be black not just from Africa as well. There are black Asians if we really want to go there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending