The Student Room Group

Half life question help?

Uranium decays into lead. the half life of uranium is 4,000,000,000 years. A sample of radioactive rock contains 7 times as much lead as it does uranium. Calculate the age of the sample.

Reply 1
Original post by BubbleLover98
Uranium decays into lead. the half life of uranium is 4,000,000,000 years. A sample of radioactive rock contains 7 times as much lead as it does uranium. Calculate the age of the sample.

λ=ln2t12=ln24×109y1\lambda = \frac{ln2}{t_{\frac{_1}{^2}}} = \frac{ln2}{4 \times 10^9} y^{-1}

x=x0eλt x = x_0e^{-\lambda t}

From the given information we deduce that the sample is currently 18 uranium\frac{1}{8} \ uranium and so

eλt=18e^{-\lambda t} = \frac{1}{8}

λt=ln18\Rightarrow -\lambda t = ln\frac{1}{8}

λt=ln8\Rightarrow \lambda t = ln8

t=1λln8\Rightarrow t = \frac{1}{\lambda}ln8

=4×109× ln8ln2=\frac{4 \times 10^9 \times \ ln8}{ln2}

=1.2×1010 y= 1.2 \times 10^{10} \ y

Not really supposed to give full solutions, but it was so tempting.

Hope that helped (and that it's correct).
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you.. But Is there any other simpler way?.. I doubt they'd make us do that 2 weeks into the course lol
Original post by SH0405
λ=ln2t12=ln24×109y1\lambda = \frac{ln2}{t_{\frac{1}{2}}} = \frac{ln2}{4 \times 10^9} y^{-1}

x=x0eλt x = x_0e^{-\lambda t}

From the given information we deduce that the sample is currently 18 uranium\frac{1}{8} \ uranium and so

eλt=18e^{-\lambda t} = \frac{1}{8}

λt=ln18\Rightarrow -\lambda t = ln\frac{1}{8}

λt=ln8\Rightarrow \lambda t = ln8

t=1λln8\Rightarrow t = \frac{1}{\lambda}ln8

=4×109× ln8ln2=\frac{4 \times 10^9 \times \ ln8}{ln2}

1.2×1010y\approx 1.2 \times 10^{10} y

Not really supposed to give full solutions, but it was so tempting.
Reply 3
Thank you.. But Is there any other simpler way?

Certainly.

You can calculate the number of half lives that have elapsed by the point at which one eighth of the sample is uranium and work from there, as shown below:

(12)n=18\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^n = \frac{1}{8}

n=3\Rightarrow n = 3 (by inspection, or calculation if truly necessary)

Unparseable latex formula:

\Rightarrow t = 3t_{\frac{_1}{^2}}}

=3×4×109 y = 3 \times 4 \times 10^{9} \ y

=1.2×1010 y = 1.2 \times 10^{10} \ y

It's interesting to note how both ways I have shown you relate to one another to lead to the same answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you soo much! :smile:
Original post by SH0405
Certainly.

You can calculate the number of half lives that have elapsed to the point at which one eighth of the sample is uranium and work from there, as shown below:

(12)n=18\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^n = \frac{1}{8}

n=3\Rightarrow n = 3 (by inspection, or calculation if truly necessary)

Unparseable latex formula:

\Rightarrow t = 3t_{\frac{_1}{^2}}}

=3×4×109 y = 3 \times 4 \times 10^{9} \ y

It's interesting to note how both ways I have shown you relate to one another to lead to the same answer.
Reply 5
Thank you soo much! :smile:

No worries. :smile:
Original post by SH0405

That's a very old rock!!
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
That's a very old rock!!

Over 85% the age of the universe....:redface: Life goes on. For the rock, anyway.
Original post by SH0405
Over 85% the age of the universe....:redface: Life goes on. For the rock, anyway.

I'm going to assume that there was a lot of lead in the rock to start with, otherwise that rock comes from outside the solar system!
Reply 9
I'm going to assume that there was a lot of lead in the rock to start with, otherwise that rock probably comes from outside the galaxy!

Hmm....not sure. I hope my maths is correct.
Original post by SH0405
Hmm....not sure. I hope my maths is correct.

No, your maths is right. I've seen questions similar to this followed by "The earth is only 4.5 billion years old, explain the discrepancy between this and the age of the rock" and the answer is that there was lead in the rock to start with, it's quite a common thing that people have to deal with when radiodating things.
Reply 11
No, your maths is right. I've seen questions similar to this followed by "The earth is only 4.5 billion years old, explain the discrepancy between this and the age of the rock" and the answer is that there was lead in the rock to start with, it's quite a common thing that people have to deal with when radiodating things.

Well, you're solid as a rock when it comes to radioactivity knowledge. It must have taken decaydes to become that good. I'm glad I lead BubbleLover98 to the correct answer.
Original post by SH0405
Well, you're solid as a rock when it comes to radioactivity knowledge. It must have taken decaydes to become that good. I'm glad I lead BubbleLover98 to the correct answer.

Gneiss puns. Hopefully OP doesn't take your help for granite with these tuff questions. I breccia they couldn't gedrite without your help.
Reply 13
Gneiss puns. Hopefully OP doesn't take your help for granite with these tuff questions. I breccia they couldn't gedrite without your help.

Hopefully OP will be Cummingtonite to join in with all the puns.
Reply 14
Original post by SH0405

A bit far-fetched perhaps.

(There's no pun here, so don't look.)
Original post by SH0405

I was waiting for you to come up with that one, it's a load of schist.

Quick Reply

Latest