The Student Room Group

Tax reclaim

I am posting here and I did search for answers but it was either confusing or did not answer my question.

So, I worked from April 2 this year and will finish the work in September because uni starts. I earned around 7000 quid while working part time and of course paid taxes. I read that people who did not earn more than 10,600 quid in a tax year so from April to April? are not taxed. Can I claim back all the tax I paid provided that I do not undertake paid employment until next April? If so, what proof do I need and is it even possible to check the amount of taxes I paid up till now?
Reply 1
If you are due a rebate then you don't have to do anything, you'll receive a letter and cheque in the post.
Original post by Valentas
I am posting here and I did search for answers but it was either confusing or did not answer my question.

So, I worked from April 2 this year and will finish the work in September because uni starts. I earned around 7000 quid while working part time and of course paid taxes. I read that people who did not earn more than 10,600 quid in a tax year so from April to April? are not taxed. Can I claim back all the tax I paid provided that I do not undertake paid employment until next April? If so, what proof do I need and is it even possible to check the amount of taxes I paid up till now?

If you phone up the tax office then they should be able to sort it for you. The reason you probably got taxed was probably because they assumed you would earn over the threshold (£10,600). When you phone up, they will change your tax code and you should get back whatever tax you are owed back next pay day.
Original post by cocre
If you are due a rebate then you don't have to do anything, you'll receive a letter and cheque in the post.

Or phone up the tax office now and get it sorted. You will then get your tax code changed there and then and the money back next payday.
Reply 5
What about claiming tax back from previous tax year 2014/2015? I earned just under a threshold of 10k while working part-time as a student and was given P60, i.e. annual earnings pay slip but have lost it since I did not know one needs to keep them. Can I get previous year's tax back from Inland Revenue? I asked my employer to give me a copy but she was not able to supply it since I lost it, she gave me a signed copy of my earnings though but I read that one should have a P60 copy with 'duplicate' signed on it. This copy does not have anything about taxes on it, only what I earned.

Is it an absolute must to have P60 because seems like I won't get it.
You need to wait for this tax year to finish (i.e. next April) before you can claim for a rebate.

They won't accept your word that you won't work till next April.
Original post by Zerforax
You need to wait for this tax year to finish (i.e. next April) before you can claim for a rebate.

They won't accept your word that you won't work till next April.

Wrong. My student child claimed back tax in year.
Original post by Valentas
What about claiming tax back from previous tax year 2014/2015? I earned just under a threshold of 10k while working part-time as a student and was given P60, i.e. annual earnings pay slip but have lost it since I did not know one needs to keep them. Can I get previous year's tax back from Inland Revenue? I asked my employer to give me a copy but she was not able to supply it since I lost it, she gave me a signed copy of my earnings though but I read that one should have a P60 copy with 'duplicate' signed on it. This copy does not have anything about taxes on it, only what I earned.

Is it an absolute must to have P60 because seems like I won't get it.

No you can still reclaim tax (up to 6 years later ) but it's a lot more complicated without a P60. The tax office will probably ask your employer to confirm your earnings, they may or may not accept what you have already.
Original post by parentlurker
Wrong. My student child claimed back tax in year.

I'm not entirely sure that's correct. Maybe if it's a case of being on the wrong tax code and getting it corrected within the tax year and thus getting refunded the difference.

That's different to what this thread is about as they are talking about an end of year rebate. Which they won't get until the tax year has finished. Regardless if they've stopped working for the tax year. It's quicker to just wait and get the automated cheque sent out.
Original post by Mega0448
I'm not entirely sure that's correct. Maybe if it's a case of being on the wrong tax code and getting it corrected within the tax year and thus getting refunded the difference.

That's different to what this thread is about as they are talking about an end of year rebate. Which they won't get until the tax year has finished. Regardless if they've stopped working for the tax year. It's quicker to just wait and get the automated cheque sent out.

Nope - exactly the same as the OP. Stopped work when went to uni, notified tax office, reclaimed tax.
No you can still reclaim tax (up to 6 years later ) but it's a lot more complicated without a P60. The tax office will probably ask your employer to confirm your earnings, they may or may not accept what you have already.

The time limit is actually four years now in most cases, not six years. Time limits for a wide range of claims/elections were revised a few years ago.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/too-much-tax-taken-from-your-pay

Nope - exactly the same as the OP. Stopped work when went to uni, notified tax office, reclaimed tax.

Strictly, the requirement is that you’re not claiming one of a number of specific benefits (Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, Incapacity Benefit) and you're not going to work for at least four weeks - but yes, in-year refunds, via direct repayment rather than PAYE, are possible provided that those conditions are satisfied.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/youve-stopped-work
Original post by Illusionary
The time limit is actually four years now in most cases, not six years. Time limits for a wide range of claims/elections were revised a few years ago.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/too-much-tax-taken-from-your-payl]

A side question but does that mean I only need to keep tax records for 4 years now?
A side question but does that mean I only need to keep tax records for 4 years now?

HMRC's official guidance is that you should keep records for at least 22 months after the tax year-end, if for the purposes of a personal tax return only and you're not in business. There are of course reasons other than tax why you should keep records, and for business purposes six years worth of records should still be kept.

https://www.gov.uk/keeping-your-pay-tax-records/how-long-to-keep-your-records
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/366523/record-keeping.pdf

I'd keep them for 6 years even though it's highly unlikely they will ever check that far back. I'm assuming you're self assessed?
I'd keep them for 6 years even though it's highly unlikely they will ever check that far back. I'm assuming you're self assessed?

I tend to keep records until I have no room, the throw out the oldest. Comes in handy when other people lose theirs. Everyone should keep records showing what national insurance they have paid until they claim their pension.
I tend to keep records until I have no room, the throw out the oldest. Comes in handy when other people lose theirs. Everyone should keep records showing what national insurance they have paid until they claim their pension.

By the time I retire I don't think the state pension will exist. But that's a discussion for another day...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending