The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladymusiclover
Where are people going to resit A-levels?? I don't want to go back to my school?

There are loads of private colleges that allow you to resit as an external student
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I'm really struggling with this personal statement😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi - The key to a good personal statement is reflection. Make sure you talk about specific examples from work experience and what you learnt from them. Avoid the 'shopping list' - i.e. listing off all the things you have done in a superficial way. There's plenty more free advice, created by doctors, on how to write a great personal statement here.

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi - The key to a good personal statement is reflection. Make sure you talk about specific examples from work experience and what you learnt from them. Avoid the 'shopping list' - i.e. listing off all the things you have done in a superficial way. There's plenty more free advice, created by doctors, on how to write a great personal statement here.

The Medic Portal

Thanks :smile: I think the main part that I'm struggling with is how to talk about my need to resit? Do you have any advice for us all?
Has anyone used Medify to help with their UKCAT preparation? I'm finding the verbal reasoning on there really tricky - is it this hard in the real exam? Thanks chummies
Original post by yasaminO_o
Has anyone used Medify to help with their UKCAT preparation? I'm finding the verbal reasoning on there really tricky - is it this hard in the real exam? Thanks chummies

I used medify and I felt it was pretty similar to the actual thing especially verbal reasoning. I only improved by about 70 in the real thing compared to medify's verbal reasoning
anyone looking to do a residential placement? my friend told me she volunteered with this organisation called Revitalise for a week for her gold d of e. She had to sit with, chat with and help disabled elderly people. Revitalise also provides free accommodation, food etc in return for your time
Original post by sayshay
anyone looking to do a residential placement? my friend told me she volunteered with this organisation called Revitalise for a week for her gold d of e. She had to sit with, chat with and help disabled elderly people. Revitalise also provides free accommodation, food etc in return for your time

I was thinking of doing this! It sounds like a great experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does Exeter, Plymouth, Lancaster or Brighton expect an A* in the subject your retaking? Also does anyone know if it was true that last year that Exeter gave out conditional offers of A*A*A only?? This is stressing me outtttttttt
Original post by chickennoodles
I used medify and I felt it was pretty similar to the actual thing especially verbal reasoning. I only improved by about 70 in the real thing compared to medify's verbal reasoning

Hahaha well I'm f***ed :smile:
Honestly I was sooo bad at medify when I was revising like a week before, I legit only improved like 2/3 days before. Just push through it hahaha
Original post by yasaminO_o
Hahaha well I'm f***ed :smile:
Does anyone have any ideas of what to write about your reflection on retaking?
How much should you write on this? Would one line suffice?
Original post by shiney101
Does anyone have any ideas of what to write about your reflection on retaking?
How much should you write on this? Would one line suffice?

I wrote something on the lines of I got AAB first sitting, which made me realise the importance of consistency I will work harder XD im likely to change it though.
Original post by AnnekaChan173
I wrote something on the lines of I got AAB first sitting, which made me realise the importance of consistency I will work harder XD im likely to change it though.

Is it just liverpool that requires this?
Also do you know which unis want A* prediction in the subject you're retaking?
Is it just liverpool that requires this?
Also do you know which unis want A* prediction in the subject you're retaking?

Liverpool and Lancaster for the retaking reflection, and then Liverpool and UEA if you're retaking one subject. :smile:
Original post by chickennoodles
Honestly I was sooo bad at medify when I was revising like a week before, I legit only improved like 2/3 days before. Just push through it hahaha

Let's hope things pick up for me soon then lol
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Liverpool and Lancaster for the retaking reflection, and then Liverpool and UEA if you're retaking one subject. :smile:

Thank you bubs xx

Quick question to anyone really, I'm really interested in the mind, and psychology related things, would it be okay to mention this in my PS or would that make admissions tutors be put off that I'm not more into things regarding the body?
Thank you bubs xx

Quick question to anyone really, I'm really interested in the mind, and psychology related things, would it be okay to mention this in my PS or would that make admissions tutors be put off that I'm not more into things regarding the body?

No probs bebz x
I mentioned diabetes and cancer in mine, I guess it's okay! Psychology is okay to put in your PS, defo!
I was thinking of doing this! It sounds like a great experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yayy, you up for doing it together? it would be nice to know someone going :')
Hi I made a whatsapp group for us, if anyone wants to join PM me your number~
Thanks :smile: I think the main part that I'm struggling with is how to talk about my need to resit? Do you have any advice for us all?

The key is to turn any challenge or negative into a positive. Focus on how you've learnt to overcome problems, develop personal insight, identify weak areas and how these can also form the foundation of the transferable skills required by doctors.

It is however important to avoid a 'sob story' - don't try to get the examiner to feel sympathy for you. Instead focus on how you took charge and grew as an individual.

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending