The Student Room Group

Would you support laws against people denouncing Islam?

Poll

Answer however many you like

Would you support laws that protect Islam and stop people being able to criticise Islam or mock sensitive elements such as Muhammad?

Would you also support laws that make it illegal to speak negatively about Muslims?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.

We already have laws about inciting racial or religious hatred and they cover all religions and races. We do not need specific blasphemy laws because we are not in the 14th century.
Original post by KingBradly
Would you support laws that protect Islam and stop people being able to criticise Islam or mock sensitive elements such as Muhammad?

Would you also support laws that make it illegal to speak negatively about Muslims?

Don't those exist already?

No. And anyone intending to implement them should be hounded out of the country
Reply 4
Nope.

The current legislation as stands is sufficient.
Original post by Saint-Saens
No. And anyone intending to implement them should be hounded out of the country

Well I don't know if he is intending to implement them but Corbyn called for restrictions on anti-Islam speech after Charlie Hebdo.
well if you did that for Islam why not for other religions?

What makes Islam an exception?

Why shouldn't people criticise ideologies they disagree with?

just playing devil's advocate :h:
Lmao no
Reply 8
what part of "free speech" are you unable to comprehend
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Well I don't know if he is intending to implement them but Corbyn called for restrictions on anti-Islam speech after Charlie Hebdo.

Almost like telling girls to cover up to avoid rape

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.
Original post by CoolCavy
well if you did that for Islam why not for other religions?

What makes Islam an exception?

Why shouldn't people criticise ideologies they disagree with?

just playing devil's advocate :h:

Quite true

Take for example 'there is no god but allah'.

For some this is quite offensive and would want it to be outlawed (not sure muslims would want this)

Also Islam is quite offensive to Christianity and the Jewish faith

But as we know it seems only one group is so precious they want criticism of their faith outlawed
Original post by Sweet n Sour

No.
Reply 13
And that would be the day I pack my bags.
Original post by Lacesso
And that would be the day I pack my bags.

If everyone just draw a few cartoons of mo it would make the law unworkable
No. Just no.

Why don't we just rename our capital to Londonistan while we are at it.

It's far more likely that i'd ban Islam outside the home than agree to any of that.

You missed out the option to introduce a law that makes it compulsory to criticise religion.

Original post by Sweet n Sour

Only in barbaric and backward countries like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. In the west we have freedom of speech, which quite rightly includes the right to criticise and mock religions.
Reply 18
LOL Why should there be a law to prevent someone from speaking against islam?

*eyeroll*

If I want to talk **** about a religion or ideology or belief then I will and I can.

There's this thing called freedom of speech. You know, the thing that allows you to even ask this sort of question.
Original post by Rakas21
It's far more likely that i'd ban Islam outside the home than agree to any of that.

Hey, we agree on that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending