The Student Room Group

I need some advice

Hello everyone,

I am considering going into postgraduate studies because I am depressed after not being able to find a job for months now. Do anyone have suggestions?

I have started a blog about it: moogersblog.wordpress.com and I would love if someone would read it. I am looking for feedback and someone who wants to talk.
Reply 1
Original post by mamoza
Hello everyone,

I am considering going into postgraduate studies because I am depressed after not being able to find a job for months now. Do anyone have suggestions?

I have started a blog about it: moogersblog.wordpress.com and I would love if someone would read it. I am looking for feedback and someone who wants to talk.

Hey there.

Postgrad studies are expensive, and some people would argue that they don't enhance your chance of getting a job, and so you probably shouldn't go into it just because you're struggling with job applications. You should give it some careful thought. Also, most courses start next week I believe so I think you're a bit late for starting this year.

I read your blog and I'm sorry that you're having such a tough time right now. Are you applying for jobs outside of London? Have you asked someone to check your CV? Have you contacted local job centres (repeatedly, they like the 'regulars' more)? Have you considered getting a temporary job (e.g. supermarket work) until you can find something more permanent, just to keep you busy?

You're welcome to PM me if you want someone to talk to. I graduated this year, and I've been through the application/interview/rejection process so I know how you feel. Keep your chin up :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by k3ro
Hey there.

Postgrad studies are expensive, and some people would argue that they don't enhance your chance of getting a job, and so you probably shouldn't go into it just because you're struggling with job applications. You should give it some careful thought. Also, most courses start next week I believe so I think you're a bit late for starting this year.

I read your blog and I'm sorry that you're having such a tough time right now. Are you applying for jobs outside of London? Have you asked someone to check your CV? Have you contacted local job centres (repeatedly, they like the 'regulars' more)? Have you considered getting a temporary job (e.g. supermarket work) until you can find something more permanent, just to keep you busy?

You're welcome to PM me if you want someone to talk to. I graduated this year, and I've been through the application/interview/rejection process so I know how you feel. Keep your chin up :smile:

Hi! Thanks so much for replying and reading my blog - I wasn't sure if anyone would have.

No, I am only applying in London because that is where I am living. Yes, I have had my c.v. reviewed by a couple of people including at the university job centre and by a recruiter from a website I signed up to.

By local job centre do you mean the government ones or recruitment firms?

Have you been able to get a job?

Honestly, thank you so much
Reply 3
Original post by mamoza
Hi! Thanks so much for replying and reading my blog - I wasn't sure if anyone would have.

No, I am only applying in London because that is where I am living. Yes, I have had my c.v. reviewed by a couple of people including at the university job centre and by a recruiter from a website I signed up to.

By local job centre do you mean the government ones or recruitment firms?

Have you been able to get a job?

Honestly, thank you so much

Must be frustrating to have multiple people review your CV and still no luck. It's tough at the minute. Have you been tailoring your application to each job rather than using a generic copy-and-paste response?

Uhhh, both I guess? I just know a relative that works in one (govt one I think) and she says that they give work to people who call often (the 'regulars', because it shows they're committed and eager to start) rather than those who call in once and they never see again.

I originally intended to go into Law, but tbh I was doing it for the money and quickly realised I'd rather have a job I actually enjoy. I'm starting an MSc next week to learn software engineering, and then I hope to get a job as a programmer afterwards. I apply every year for part time jobs though (for the last 4 yrs), literally everywhere (supermarkets, restaurants, factories, fast food places etc) and they always reject me. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I just sent off another round of applications yesterday so I'm hoping to hear something positive this time... I really need it, or I'm gonna be living off £20 pw for a year haha.

I know it's hard to keep positive when facing an onslaught of rejections, but you're definitely not the only one. It's hard to get a job right now, but if you keep positive I'm sure you'll get something eventually. :smile:
Original post by mamoza
Hello everyone,

Original post by mamoza
Hello everyone,

Having just finished a masters myself I can say that it won't make it any easier to find a job, so don't do one just for the sake of it. I've just read your blog- well done on getting interviews, that is a huge achievement and your CV is obviously good, but when you get your next interview get interview practice- maybe your old uni careers department can help, they are there for grads too. That could make a big difference. In the mean time there are lots of charities in London who would love to have volunteers in either a charity shop or office- especially the smaller ones (the bigger ones tend to get swamped with applications)

Quick Reply

Latest