The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not a great result, but not exactly a bad result either when you consider the team that played. I guess in this competition you aim for 2 draws away from home and 1 win, while winning two at home and 1 draw. 12 points that would most likely top the group.
Reply 121
Original post by Zerforax
1) Highly unlikely but never say never?
2) Easily 5th but potentially even 6th best since Spurs have finished above us a few times now.

As an Arsenal fan, do you think you should start supporting all English clubs in the Champions League and Europa League considering there is a risk that the Premier League could lose the 4th CL spot (based on league co-efficients) which is most likely to hurt Arsenal?

Yes, I do anyway. As soon as Arsenal get knocked out, I pick another English side to cheer on, I always want an English side to win the Champions league. To this day the Liverpool final in Istanbul has been the greatest game of football I have ever watched!
Reply 122
Original post by Bubzeh
You know things are bad when a poor performance & a 1-1 against Bordeux is considered a decent / good result.

Original post by Lúcio
It's not a decent result in the slightest, Zerf is just trying to be positive :tongue:

Rodgers can't get us to play well. I don't care that we were playing a second string side; that's his choice so it's not an excuse for failing to win.
He needs to go. ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Gob Bluth
Not a great result, but not exactly a bad result either when you consider the team that played. I guess in this competition you aim for 2 draws away from home and 1 win, while winning two at home and 1 draw. 12 points that would most likely top the group.

What Gob said basically. We did play a lot of youngsters.
What Gob said basically. We did play a lot of youngsters.

We did indeed but like I mentioned, that's Rodgers' choice to make.
It's his call to decide to play youngsters - no leeway should be afforded to him specifically. His job is to win matches and underestimating your opponent is exactly what Arsenal did. They paid the price and we did the same, to an extent.

In any case, we had enough talent in that squad to beat a mediocre French team.
Yes our midfield pair were youngsters but aside from that we used players that were either first team or strong rotation options. The quality was there. No excuse the way I see it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Original post by Lúcio
We did indeed but like I mentioned, that's Rodgers' choice to make.
It's his call to decide to play youngsters - no leeway should be afforded to him specifically. His job is to win matches and underestimating your opponent is exactly what Arsenal did. They paid the price and we did the same, to an extent.

In any case, we had enough talent in that squad to beat a mediocre French team.
Yes our midfield pair were youngsters but aside from that we used players that were either first team or strong rotation options. The quality was there. No excuse the way I see it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but I'd rather the manager did what was best for the squad over the full length of the season and not just trying to save his own ass game to game.

That said, the number of poor games is already growing. I wonder if FSG have contingency plans in place.
True but I'd rather the manager did what was best for the squad over the full length of the season and not just trying to save his own ass game to game.

That said, the number of poor games is already growing. I wonder if FSG have contingency plans in place.

I'm sure the fans would rather he didn't, but if I were Rodgers I'd be taking it game to game because who knows if there'll be a next one.
Looking at our start of the season (particular performance wise), top 4 looks unlikely.
Therefore our best route back in to the CL would be a (somewhat unlikely) EL win.

He didn't play a bad team; he played one easily capable of a good result yet still didn't get it. There's arguments to say we got lucky with a point.

I'm wondering a similar thing; how many more games will they tolerate?
I understand our fixtures have been tough but we've also lost games we should still win. FSG will surely look at performance levels too and that definitely doesn't help Rodger's case.

The ONLY good performance we've had this season was against Arsenal, in a match that we didn't even win. That's the reality here and it's disgraceful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11870927/Premier-League-in-real-danger-of-losing-fourth-Champions-League-place.html

Could lose the 4th CL spot.. I guess that would cement Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd ahead of anyone else.
Henderson to train today and be assessed ahead of Norwich game, Sturridge also to be assessed.
Sakho close to agreeing a 5 year contract. Ian Ayre with his reps today.
Reply 129
Another one that's getting a pay rise to keep him happy on the bench.

FSG give you that ability.

Remember that.
I think I have as much of an issue with our players' mentalities as I do with their ability right now.

They all seem to be playing with fear, and a lot of them aren't even giving Rodgers a headache for selection. I mean, last night, Ibe didn't seem to be backing himself at all. He should be fearless and really pushing to start ahead of Firmino at the weekend.

Players don't seem to be shouldering responsibility - like Lallana, who was our most experience offensive player last night.

I want our players to have confidence in their own abilities, otherwise how the hell should I?
At least when Rodgers is sacked Sakho will still be in the team.

Or maybe his exclusion from the first team is due to his contractual situation?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11870927/Premier-League-in-real-danger-of-losing-fourth-Champions-League-place.html

Could lose the 4th CL spot.. I guess that would cement Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd ahead of anyone else.

Don't think we will just as of yet, I feel that it's up to the Europa league clubs, also I don't think it'll cement any of the top 3 as Arsenal have a very good squad too. Really a poor start to the season from one of the normal top 4 and they're easily in real danger. City nearly finished 4th last season.
Reply 133
Original post by jam277
At least when Rodgers is sacked Sakho will still be in the team.

Or maybe his exclusion from the first team is due to his contractual situation?

I don't think so. I think Rodgers is just determined to prove that Lovren, his purchase, was a good buy.

Original post by jam277
Don't think we will just as of yet, I feel that it's up to the Europa league clubs, also I don't think it'll cement any of the top 3 as Arsenal have a very good squad too. Really a poor start to the season from one of the normal top 4 and they're easily in real danger. City nearly finished 4th last season.

Seems we're getting closer and closer to it though. We lose a good margin over the Italy's when 11/12 isn't counted.
Anyone watched football focus today? I'm already admiring the girl who interviewed coutinho, her Portuguese is impressive
Hendrson could be out for a couple of months after injury setback.
Kent 'man of the match by a country mile' according to Chesterfield's twitter account.

What an introduction for @sergicanos! He beats four men and squares for Vibe to sweep home at the near post, Come on You Bees! (1-1) [30 seconds after coming on]

More accusations of 'farming players' pls @Zerforax after seeing 5 teenagers play for us in our last game?
(edited 8 years ago)
A simple win at home to Norwich could catapult us from 14th to 6th tomorrow.
I swear to God if we mess this us...
2-1 Liverpool tomorrow. Can't see Norwich getting anything personally, it's the sort of game I would be surprised to see Liverpool drop points with. However if Lovren and Skrtel start at CB it's anyone's game.
Reply 139
Original post by mr tim
Hendrson could be out for a couple of months after injury setback.

Broke his foot in training?

Latest