The Student Room Group

Would you do a 3 day unpaid trial in a shop?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e aí rapaz
Btw what shop is this?

its a costume shop, i probably better PM than write the name online
Reply 21
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
yup, i'm job seeking, got an interview, interview went ok , and then the lady said, 'the next stage of the recruitment process is to work unpaid trail for a few days'

Would you do it? is it legal?

Oh wow,how has my life come to this :rofl:

It's awful that they are allowed to do this (are they allowed to do this?! I don't know but it should not be allowed) but if you don't take it someone else will. It is good experience, even if you don't get the job, but it is a massive cheek of them not to pay you for it.
Original post by abc:)
It's awful that they are allowed to do this (are they allowed to do this?! I don't know but it should not be allowed) but if you don't take it someone else will. It is good experience, even if you don't get the job, but it is a massive cheek of them not to pay you for it.

I think a lot of young people are getting the impression that they have to work for nothing to prove they are worthy of pay. This is not right, and should not be something that is normal in 2015. The sad fact is people will fall into this trap, its a matter of self respect and being paid minimum wage is an offer of some level of dignity.

As i would be doing productive work, minimum wage should apply. Now i have come to believe they are breaking minimum wage law, and i should let an authority know what they are getting up to. :colone:
my thought on this would immediately be what sort of company asks for 3 days unpaid work before hiring you...

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/unpaid-work/unpaid-trials

what they're doing isn't actually legal and I would assume that if that is the way they do things then they are only going to continue screwing you over while you work there
This sort of thing should absolutely be illegal
Reply 25
I think a lot of young people are getting the impression that they have to work for nothing to prove they are worthy of pay. This is not right, and should not be something that is normal in 2015. The sad fact is people will fall into this trap, its a matter of self respect and being paid minimum wage is an offer of some level of dignity.

As i would be doing productive work, minimum wage should apply. Now i have come to believe they are breaking minimum wage law, and i should let an authority know what they are getting up to. :colone:

Good for you!!!
Original post by doodle_333
my thought on this would immediately be what sort of company asks for 3 days unpaid work before hiring you...

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/unpaid-work/unpaid-trials

what they're doing isn't actually legal and I would assume that if that is the way they do things then they are only going to continue screwing you over while you work there

there is a lack of info on the UK gov website, seems like the Australians are more worker friendly than we are
No ****ing way in hell I would ever do that.
no
Reply 29
Nope

I was told to 'help out' for a week by Shoe Zone.

I left after the first day at 12 or so.

They're taking the piss
Original post by e aí rapaz
No way. Besides being a complete insult and a waste of my time, accepting this kind of thing only encourages big corporations to continue doing it.

Three days?? Disgusting behaviour to even ask.

Absolutely this. Tell them you have some self respect.

If someone asked me to work for free all they'd hear would be a click and the dial tone.
If you are on JSA, there are very specific conditions for you to be eligible for a work trial. I did one for the job I'm in now, to make sure I could cope with the many different things I'd have to do, and I've been here over 18 months now. I also got recommended for the job through the job centre.
Any other way of asking you for free work, I'd tell them to take a running jump!
I would do it if it was a really good opportunity to prove myself in a field I had never worked in before, but I wouldn't do it in a shop or somewhere if I already had experience unless I really needed the job.

I hope the shop will at least pay the people they hire for the 3 days but I think it's disgusting of them to take advantage of people like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
the lady said, 'the next stage of the recruitment process is to work unpaid trail for a few days'

Would you do it? is it legal?

I wouldn't do it on principle.

No, it is not legal if you are expected to actually work. If it is shadowing someone and every so often they tell you to have a go while they watch, then it is a very, very long selection process, but legal.

Ask what is expected of you in those three days and, if you pass, whether they will then pay you for those three days - personally, I think they should.

They definitely should pay your travel for those three days and provide lunch. If they won't do that, say "Slavery was abolished, like, centuries ago, so I don't see why you should be implementing it here and now, so f*** off, lady 'cos your taking the p***."

If that is how they recruit people, they will also treat you like dirt when you are there. That is what they are actually looking for: desperate, naïve, indebted students they can bully and abuse. Walk away and get a proper job with a decent employer.
(edited 8 years ago)
there is a lack of info on the UK gov website, seems like the Australians are more worker friendly than we are

my bad, didn't notice the .au
Original post by minimarshmallow
If you are on JSA, there are very specific conditions for you to be eligible for a work trial. I did one for the job I'm in now, to make sure I could cope with the many different things I'd have to do, and I've been here over 18 months now. I also got recommended for the job through the job centre.
Any other way of asking you for free work, I'd tell them to take a running jump!

i'm lucky that i don't have to claim JSA at the moment. So i feel more in control of the work i choose to do. If i was on JSA , I would actually feel a bit worried if they report me for not doing the trail.
I used to work with a manager, and if someone didnt turn up to an interview, she was like 'i'll go phone the job centre!!' :s-smilie:
Original post by doodle_333
my bad, didn't notice the .au

They have Kangaroos in their logo! :excited:
I used to work with a manager, and if someone didnt turn up to an interview, she was like 'i'll go phone the job centre!!' :s-smilie:

My boss got like that, but to be fair we did schedule 15 interviews and not one person turned up.
Original post by abc:)

Why will they? The way to stop companies trying to take the piss like this is to reject the conditions. When enough people reject the conditions, they'll have to come back with a better offer.

This is NOT 2009 anymore. I'd say no one is going to be desperate and stupid enough to work 3 days for free, and the company will have to raise their game.
Reply 39
Original post by voiceofreason234
Why will they? The way to stop companies trying to take the piss like this is to reject the conditions. When enough people reject the conditions, they'll have to come back with a better offer.

This is NOT 2009 anymore. I'd say no one is going to be desperate and stupid enough to work 3 days for free, and the company will have to raise their game.

Because we're still living in a time where it's very difficult to get work. I have a degree and a fair amount of employment history, I struggled to get a job this year and have only just been offered one. If someone had offered me a 3 day unpaid trial, I would have jumped at it, and many others - most others in fact - are the same. It's sad but true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending